Disembark in Venice

gliles

We chose the Rhapsody cruise in September because it begins and ends in Venice. We've never been to Venice and are uber excited. We dock at 3pm on 10/6 then the cruise is officially over on 10/7, this concept is new to me. My question is, do they clear the ship on 10/6 so if we wanted to head to the airport at like 6am on the 7th could we? Will the ship be "open" to coming and going from 3pm on the 6th until whenever on the 7th? Our flight from Venice is just after noon on the 7th. And I know we don't need to leave at 6am....just wondering.

Thanks for any tips!

Just returned from this exact cruise a few weeks ago.

Yes, you can get off the ship and head into town after it arrives. I'm not sure if the port closes or not that evening. We were back to the ship by 6PM so we could pack.

Regarding the next day.

We purchased the transfer from the ship. I think it was $24 USD per person.

Marco Polo is not like any airport you have experienced.

The time of departure from the ship will be based on what time you scheduled departure is. The airport is so small and so crowded, they won't even let you into the check in lines until you are within 2 hours of departure. With the bus transfer, we still had to walk quit a ways to get to the terminal.

So, our flight was scheduled to depart at 12:30, our scheduled bus departure was 9:30.

Anyways, the night before, you put out luggage.

Next morning, wait until your zine or number is called.

Walk down the gangway, pick up your luggage and head to the bus. No customs or passport control to go through.

Note:

When we boarded the ship, they took possession of all non EU passports.

Got them back on the day before we got back to Venice

We sailed this cruise in Nov. 2010 and then again last year in Nov. 2015. The cruise is great. Marco Polo airport is without a doubt a nightmare. It is small extremely crowded , totally disorganized and the staff is rude. In order to lessen the pain remember to obtain your boarding passes as early as possible. Get your boarding passes on the ship if at all possible. The machines inside the airport are crowded, slow and sometimes have technical problems. This past November there was no place to sit so be prepared to stand. O.K., thats the bad departure news. Our arrivals have been fairly painless. After collecting your luggage go to the front of the airport and get tickets for bus no.5. This bus has luggage storage inside and it is easy to get inside. The cost was about eight euros for two. The people at the counters will try to sell you a rip off transport deal for about 30 euros or more so make sure you tell them what you want. Bus no.5 final stop is the main Plaza where most public transport in Venice is located. Also the people mover to the cruise terminal is located in easy walking distance from this stop. Have a great cruise.