Alaska Cruise Ports Questions

teach/2/cruise

:) We are cruising Alaska in September and have a question about the ports. Do we have to take a shore excursion or can we get off the ship and walk to see the sights?? We do like to take our time and walk around to see the sights but we are unsure if things are in walking distance of the ports. Thanks in advance.

While I haven't looked at the Infinity's September itinerary (given your list of future cruises I am assuming that is your Alaskan cruise) at virtually all of the Alaskan ports the ship is docked "downtown."

At Sitka ships either tender or are docked at a privately owned dock north of the downtown area. In 2013 we were on the Century's last Alaskan cruise of the season, which included a port stop in Sitka, and Celebrity provided a no-additional charge shuttle from that private dock to downtown.

Icy Strait Point in the past was a tender port, but a floating dock has been built. ICP is about a half mile from downtown Hoonah. The paved walkway from ISP to Hoonah is lovely. Hoonah is an authentic Alaskan fishing community (ie, no Diamonds International) and is the largest Tlingit community in our state.

Cruise Critic has an active Alaska forum (located under Ports of Call). A number of us who post regularly on that forum are quite opinionated, so if you asked about specific excursions/sights to see you will may receive more responses than expected!

Hope you enjoy your trip to our state. It is an absolute hoot to live here, and I hope you enjoy your time. But in September in Southeast Alaska be prepared for rain.

:) We are cruising Alaska in September and have a question about the ports. Do we have to take a shore excursion or can we get off the ship and walk to see the sights?? We do like to take our time and walk around to see the sights but we are unsure if things are in walking distance of the ports. Thanks in advance.

It all depends on what you want to see and do at each port.

No, you are not required to take a shore excursion at any of the ports

Some of the sights are within walking distance of the ports and others aren't.

But many of the main attractions do require traveling some distance away from the port area.

As suggested, check out the Alaska forum.

Here is a link to it: Alaska - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

You may also like this site: CruisePortInsider.com - Port List

In the left column under Alaska, just click on the name of each of the ports you will be visiting.

Then you can click the tab labeled "On Your Own" for suggestions of things you can do on your own at that port.

If you are not already familiar with the ports you will be visiting, it would probably be a good idea to check out some books about Alaska from your public library so that you will know what is available at each port.

Or at least google each of the ports you will visit.

Their visitor information centers often have free brochures that you can download, if there is not enough time to have them mailed to you.

That way you won't be coming home with regrets, wishing you had gone to the xxxxx or done the yyyyy and sorry you missed them because you didn't know about them.

Or, you can just use that as an excuse to book another Alaska cruise. :D

Varoo

thank you for the tip on the website "cruiseportinsider'

I just went on there and it has great info

we are taking our first Alaska cruise in may 2017, will use that website to make decisions on what to do

learn something new everyday

thanks

While I haven't looked at the Infinity's September itinerary (given your list of future cruises I am assuming that is your Alaskan cruise) at virtually all of the Alaskan ports the ship is docked "downtown."

At Sitka ships either tender or are docked at a privately owned dock north of the downtown area. In 2013 we were on the Century's last Alaskan cruise of the season, which included a port stop in Sitka, and Celebrity provided a no-additional charge shuttle from that private dock to downtown.

Icy Strait Point in the past was a tender port, but a floating dock has been built. ICP is about a half mile from downtown Hoonah. The paved walkway from ISP to Hoonah is lovely. Hoonah is an authentic Alaskan fishing community (ie, no Diamonds International) and is the largest Tlingit community in our state.

Cruise Critic has an active Alaska forum (located under Ports of Call). A number of us who post regularly on that forum are quite opinionated, so if you asked about specific excursions/sights to see you will may receive more responses than expected!

Hope you enjoy your trip to our state. It is an absolute hoot to live here, and I hope you enjoy your time. But in September in Southeast Alaska be prepared for rain.

Thank you - we are getting very excited to visit your state and to see all of its beauty. How is the weather? we heard that it is unseasonably warmer than usual. I'm packing layers, layers, layers, LOL. and not bringing a winter coat! In 20 days we will be in your area. Yahoo