Does anyone suffer from Fast AF?

Johnno3c

Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I am 56 male and suffer from Fast AF also I am a full time wheelchair user.

My question today is, does anyone else travel with this condition?

I am currently taking 240 grams of Sotalol which appears to be managing my attacks better than a lower dose I was on before. I have currently gone 5 months without an attack but unfortunately my run of good luck came to an end last Thursday when I was admitted to hospital with a HR of 180. After taking the usual tablets to slow me down I was released the next day with normal rhythm and back on the Sotalol.

My main concern whilst on a cruise is will I be offloaded and sent to hospital if the ships doctor gives me my magic tablets, Amiodrone not sure of spelling, and I go back into normal rhythm?

I have been offloaded before when I first developed this Fast AF but I can understand that time because it was my first attack. I go through the same procedure each time I go to hospital so as long as I am given the three doses over the specified time I am ok and back to my normal ways.

I am worried that I would miss the ship sailing to the next port and wonder how I would travel to the next port with having the wheelchair which doesn't fold down either. Would I just have to come home?

I look forward to reading replies on how other folk cope with this condition and travel.

Thanks for your time.

Carl

Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I am 56 male and suffer from Fast AF also I am a full time wheelchair user.

My question today is, does anyone else travel with this condition?

I am currently taking 240 grams of Sotalol which appears to be managing my attacks better than a lower dose I was on before. I have currently gone 5 months without an attack but unfortunately my run of good luck came to an end last Thursday when I was admitted to hospital with a HR of 180. After taking the usual tablets to slow me down I was released the next day with normal rhythm and back on the Sotalol.

My main concern whilst on a cruise is will I be offloaded and sent to hospital if the ships doctor gives me my magic tablets, Amiodrone not sure of spelling, and I go back into normal rhythm?

I have been offloaded before when I first developed this Fast AF but I can understand that time because it was my first attack. I go through the same procedure each time I go to hospital so as long as I am given the three doses over the specified time I am ok and back to my normal ways.

I am worried that I would miss the ship sailing to the next port and wonder how I would travel to the next port with having the wheelchair which doesn't fold down either. Would I just have to come home?

I look forward to reading replies on how other folk cope with this condition and travel.

Thanks for your time.

Carl

Unfortunately no one on CC can say with any certainty as to what would happen in the event you had another attack while on the ship even including anyone having the same condition. Every situation is different.

If the Ship's doctor feels that your condition cannot be properly addressed and or if the medical facility doesn't have the RX on board to stabilize you than it's highly likely you would have to be off-loaded to the nearest on-shore medical facility. What happens after you've been taken to the nearest medical facility as to whether or not you can meet up with the cruise depends on many variables. First and foremost the cruise line might not deem you fit to return even after having sought on-shore medical care and re-boarding my not be an option. Even if you were allowed to return it depends on how many days were left to the cruise and the logistics involved in getting to the next port as to whether or not you would even want to go through the effort of returning to the ship.

Edited by xxoocruiser

We can take an educated guess that if you had an Fast AF attack on a cruise, the ship's physician would likely arrange for an ambulance to take you to a hospital at the next port. Whether you would be allowed back on the cruise (after being assessed at a hospital) is questionable at best.

If you are contemplating a specific cruise line, you might want to e-mail this question to the cruise line's medical director and pose the question. I am giving you a link to info on the cruise line Medical Representatives...although not certain this info is completely up to date:

https://www.acep.org/cruiselinedirectory/

Hank

P.S. Best of luck to you and hope that you can keep that rhythm under control.

We can take an educated guess that if you had an Fast AF attack on a cruise, the ship's physician would likely arrange for an ambulance to take you to a hospital at the next port. Whether you would be allowed back on the cruise (after being assessed at a hospital) is questionable at best.

If you are contemplating a specific cruise line, you might want to e-mail this question to the cruise line's medical director and pose the question. I am giving you a link to info on the cruise line Medical Representatives...although not certain this info is completely up to date:

https://www.acep.org/cruiselinedirectory/

Hank

P.S. Best of luck to you and hope that you can keep that rhythm under control.

Contacting the specific cruise line's medical director is certainly always an option. However the OP needs to know that in doing so can cause him to be banned from that specific cruise if not from entire cruise line should the Medical Director assess the individual is unfit to travel. Every cruise line has a fit to travel clause in its cruise contract.

The OP has already had the experience of having to be off-loaded from a cruise for the same condition so the same will most likely to occur should his condition exacerbate again while on the ship.

Before contacting the cruise line's medical director suggest the OP discuss this with his own doctor first as to whether or not he's fit to travel. If h

Perhaps if you discuss this with your doctor, he/she would give you a prescription for your "magic" pills. You surely would not take them unless absolutely necessary. I have AFIB, so I know how scary AF can be. Just having the pills available might relieve any stress and you could enjoy your cruise with no problem. Best of luck, I hope you have a wonderful, non-AF time.

You should also check any travel insurance policy you purchase (and you certainly should be purchasing a policy!). I have AFIB and have to pay an extra premium if I've been admitted to an ER anytime in the 6 months before my trip. Note, too, that if you are not upfront with them about your condition when you purchase the insurance, they might refuse to reimburse you for any related expenses you incur while traveling. On my last trip, I had to submit a letter from my cardiologist saying I could travel, and had to get the approval of their review board before they would issue me any coverage at all.

Have you discussed with your cardiologist or electrophysiologist if you are fit to travel, and specifically on a cruise ship with limited medical capacity, and possible long range of time to get to a hospital that is able to treat you.

Have you asked your doctor if it is possible for you to have a prescription for this medication? The ship's medical facility is limited in the RX medications they would have on board, so having your needed medication with you would be imperative.

I always have am ample supply of my heart medications with me, there are three, and I do know when I need to adjust.

My personal physician, cardiologist and electrophysiologist are all aware of my travel, and I see them all before I leave the country with their blessings.

Travel is one of the things that is keeping me "young", and I go with the full knowledge that if things go wrong then that is just the way it is.

I hope you are able to speak with your physicians and work out what you need to do to make this work for you.

Thank you all for your advice and good wishes, I really do appreciate it.

I have been cleared by my cardiologist to travel but I do think that it would be a very good idea to take the appropriate "magic pills" with me. I learnt from my last hospital visit that I can be on them for 48 hours before they have to think of the next course of action to revert my heart back to normal so that is a comfort too.

I do love cruising and have decided to only take 7 day or mini-cruises from now on so that takes away any concerns about being away for too long.

I am due to visit the hospital this week so have all my questions ready.

I will post update when I have news.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

As promised I have been to the cardiologist and he has advised the following: I would not be allowed to have the meds that I am given in hospital because they are very strong ones and I need to be monitored whilst taking them. However her has given me some other tablets that I can carry with me which I would take if my AF started up and if they fail to work I would then have to seek medical attention for the "Magic " ones that the hospital has or something similar.

So with this news I am thinking of a seven day cruise to the Norwegian Fjiords for next June but will leave booking to see how things go and if I get chance to try my tablets to see if they work.

Hello

As promised I have been to the cardiologist and he has advised the following: I would not be allowed to have the meds that I am given in hospital because they are very strong ones and I need to be monitored whilst taking them. However her has given me some other tablets that I can carry with me which I would take if my AF started up and if they fail to work I would then have to seek medical attention for the "Magic " ones that the hospital has or something similar.

So with this news I am thinking of a seven day cruise to the Norwegian Fjiords for next June but will leave booking to see how things go and if I get chance to try my tablets to see if they work.

Thank you for returning and letting us know the results. Good luck!

• 5 months later...

Since I first posted this topic my meds have changed again but haven't had any AF attacks since, fingers crossed it continues lol. So I took the plunge and booked a 7 day trip to the Norwegian Fjords on Britannia.

Since I first posted this topic my meds have changed again but haven't had any AF attacks since, fingers crossed it continues lol. So I took the plunge and booked a 7 day trip to the Norwegian Fjords on Britannia.

Good luck to you. I hope all goes well and you have a fantastic cruise.

John It is good to Read your cardio si working wih you to mke it poswible for you to Safely cruise despite your a-fib. i i wish you the best of good health and a great cruise. Please let us know how it goes.

I have paroxysmal afib; my heart rhythm always resets itself, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes a few hours. I now take medication to keep my rhythm fairly steady, and my doctor has given me no restrictions at all except to watch the caffeine and alcohol intake. Too much sugar can set me off. Make sure you have any medication with you, and get your doctor's approval before cruising.