Anthem of the Seas: Mii Too

Hi all, like others, just off Anthem 8/11/16 cruise. Cruiserking and KarenB99 have great reviews so please read them to get a great detailed look at hits and misses.

Just a couple of quickie thoughts, and if you have any questions I’ll be happy to respond if I can be helpful.

The ship is absolutely pristine (yeah it’s new), and has a great flow to it; it absorbs the guests and other than a few peak periods (after shows, $10 sales in the Esplanade, etc.) the ship never felt crowded. Staterooms (superior balcony) excellent.

The food quality and restaurant/café staff are excellent. My wife has food allergies and the staff went out of their way to ensure that we stayed clear of foods that could be a problem, and provided preview menus for the following day so we could select meals in advance. They even brought in food from other restaurants to ensure that everyone got what they paid for (in specialty restaurants).

First cruise with Abe Hughes as CD, and that man is funny and available (always walking about the ship).

The Windjammer is huge; above average as far as quality, variety, roominess and cleanliness.

H270 Café a bit of a disappointment; roast beef sandwiches were overcooked and dry, not as good as Park Café on Allure (not sure why); also the salad bar was spartan.

Jamie’s, Chops and Wonderland worth the price; Wonderland not for the faint at heart. We let the waiter order for us (a good idea for first visit). Do it, you won’t forget the experience.

For late night quiet time, go to Vintages for wine and or after dinner drinks; quiet and comfy. Ditto the library; games available, and of course books.

Solarium was wonderful; never had a problem getting lounges, and the café there had pretty good hours of operation. I wouldn’t use the Solarium Café for dinner though as it is a buffet for appetizers and desert, menu for main course and sides. That didn’t work for me.

Finally, we enjoyed the comedians, cover bands and We Will Rock You!!; not so much for The Gift (meh) and we laughed ‘til we cried at the disaster called Spectra’s Cabaret. I thought they were spoofing “The Producers” but unfortunately they weren’t. Hint: just because you can have entertainers popping out of the ceiling and floor, it doesn’t mean you should!!

Have fun and enjoy!!

I like your description of Spectra. I thought it was unusual, but in a good way. it was certainly entertaining. It was designed around the capabilities of the room, thus they used all of the stuff you felt they didn't need to.

I differ in my opinions of WWRY (one of the worst shows I've ever seen) and The Gift (good music, harmless and short) but don't want to turn this into another debate thread.

Thanks or the review - I love reading them all.

We are debating Wonderland, my dh is very much a meat and potatoes guy so I'm not sure if he'll like it or not.

Also thanks for the view on the shows, we aren't big show people, so we keep going back and forth on seeing them.

We are debating Wonderland, my dh is very much a meat and potatoes guy so I'm not sure if he'll like it or not.

Also thanks for the view on the shows, we aren't big show people, so we keep going back and forth on seeing them.

Remember, they will bring more traditional dishes from other premium restaurants if you really are struggling with their selections. If you choose carefully, rather than take the kitchen sink approach that we did, I'm sure you'll find many things to your liking. There were three rounds of appetizers (most on us only need one) and the main courses and deserts were really pretty traditional.

I like your description of Spectra. I thought it was unusual, but in a good way. it was certainly entertaining. It was designed around the capabilities of the room, thus they used all of the stuff you felt they didn't need to.

I differ in my opinions of WWRY (one of the worst shows I've ever seen) and The Gift (good music, harmless and short) but don't want to turn this into another debate thread.

Well put!!

Thank you for your review also!!! It seems that each month gets better and better with the reviews!!!:):):)

I noticed that too; it could be that with each passing month the crew and ship are coming into their own, and the reviewers are picking up on that. This ship is a 4.9 out of 5.0 in my book!

While it's lumped in with the other stuff on the menu, I think your husband would really enjoy the Terrior Beef. It's a huge chunk of short rib attached to the bone. It comes with potatoes that look like rocks. The pork is also supposed to be excellent (I did not try it as I do not eat pork). If he got both of those he'd probably be happy. And the desserts are excellent. As or the appetizers, let him try them (or not). That said, I don't know that I'd do it for $49 if he won't eat the unusual stuff (you may not care about the price). I'd suggest checking your Cruise Planner to see if you have the BOGO specialty dining package available. It's $30 for specialty dining the first two nights (that's $30 per person, not per night). They pre-assign to restaurants you but you can switch once you get on board. I have it booked for my cruise this Thursday and my plan is to eat at Jamie's the first night and Wonderland the second. We ate at Wonderland when we were on Anthem in January and got it for 30% off the first night. We enjoyed it but i wasn't planning on doing it again. For $15 I am happy to go again. And we didn't get to Jamie's last time and wanted to try it. You could do Chops as your second restaurant to appease your husband. And for $15, it's not a big deal if he doesn't eat most of the stuff.

Remember' date=' they will bring more traditional dishes from other premium restaurants if you really are struggling with their selections.[/quote']

That's interesting, I did not know that. I do recall that they brought us a dessert from a different restaurant at 150 Central Park on Oasis because we didn't like the choice, but we didn't specifically ask for it.

Edited by MisterBill99

There were three rounds of appetizers (most on us only need one) and the main courses and deserts were really pretty traditional.

Many of the appetizers are bite size (literally) so doing one round wouldn't come close to filling you up. And you need to try lots of stuff to appreciate the creativity of the menu. The entrees may be more traditional but they're still unlike anything else on the ship.

Edited by MisterBill99

I am also a meat and potatoes person but booked Wonderland because I knew my husband would really enjoy it. First thing I told the server was that I was very fussy, disliked fish except for lobster and shrimp, she told me not to worry, well, she was right, there was only 1 thing I didn't eat! It was fantastic. In fact we ran into our server the next day and she told me I was not fussy at all!! So, give it a try, it was such an experience!

Marg

While it's lumped in with the other stuff on the menu, I think your husband would really enjoy the Terrior Beef. It's a huge chunk of short rib attached to the bone. It comes with potatoes that look like rocks. The pork is also supposed to be excellent (I did not try it as I do not eat pork). If he got both of those he'd probably be happy. And the desserts are excellent. As or the appetizers, let him try them (or not). That said, I don't know that I'd do it for $49 if he won't eat the unusual stuff (you may not care about the price). I'd suggest checking your Cruise Planner to see if you have the BOGO specialty dining package available. It's $30 for specialty dining the first two nights (that's $30 per person, not per night). They pre-assign to restaurants you but you can switch once you get on board. I have it booked for my cruise this Thursday and my plan is to eat at Jamie's the first night and Wonderland the second. We ate at Wonderland when we were on Anthem in January and got it for 30% off the first night. We enjoyed it but i wasn't planning on doing it again. For $15 I am happy to go again. And we didn't get to Jamie's last time and wanted to try it. You could do Chops as your second restaurant to appease your husband. And for $15, it's not a big deal if he doesn't eat most of the stuff.

I am also a meat and potatoes person but booked Wonderland because I knew my husband would really enjoy it. First thing I told the server was that I was very fussy, disliked fish except for lobster and shrimp, she told me not to worry, well, she was right, there was only 1 thing I didn't eat! It was fantastic. In fact we ran into our server the next day and she told me I was not fussy at all!! So, give it a try, it was such an experience!

Marg

Thank you both for the comments on Wonderland. I did the BOGO so I will see if we can do this restaurant. We did Chops on Grandeur so I know he'd love that one. I was thinking about booking the 3 night dinner deal too since we are on-board for 9 nights, but we have some OBC so I'm going to see about using that if they offer the 3 night deal once we get onboard.

Edited by hansolosmom

Thank you both for the comments on Wonderland. I did the BOGO so I will see if we can do this restaurant. We did Chops on Grandeur so I know he'd love that one. I was thinking about booking the 3 night dinner deal too since we are on-board for 9 nights, but we have some OBC so I'm going to see about using that if they offer the 3 night deal once we get onboard.

You can't book two dining packages. The others require you to use one of the nights the first two nights, so it won't co-exist with the BOGO. The good news is that the BOGO is such a great deal, you could go to the expensive places with it, and then do the cheaper one at regular price and still save money.

Wonderland for $15 is a great deal, even if your husband won't enjoy most of the stuff on the menu. And hey, maybe he'll surprise you and like some of the unusual stuff.

Also, check how much of your OBC is refundable before you rush to find ways to spend it.

Edited by MisterBill99

We ate at Wonderland when we were on Anthem in January and got it for 30% off the first night. We enjoyed it but i wasn't planning on doing it again. For $15 I am happy to go again.

That's interesting, I did not know that.

I was under the impression that Wonderland sells out pretty fast so I booked it online for our upcoming cruise.

This is the restaurant we definitely want to try but it would be much better if I can get it for 30% off :).

Did they offer Wonderland 30% off the first night when you board the ship or it was part of the dining package?

You can't book two dining packages. The others require you to use one of the nights the first two nights, so it won't co-exist with the BOGO. The good news is that the BOGO is such a great deal, you could go to the expensive places with it, and then do the cheaper one at regular price and still save money.

Wonderland for $15 is a great deal, even if your husband won't enjoy most of the stuff on the menu. And hey, maybe he'll surprise you and like some of the unusual stuff.

Also, check how much of your OBC is refundable before you rush to find ways to spend it.

Thanks again. I've heard conflicting info on booking 2 packages. You're right BOGO is a great deal - so good I'm amazed it exists 😀

I am going to try to get Wonderland I think it'll be fun

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that Wonderland sells out pretty fast so I booked it online for our upcoming cruise.

This is the restaurant we definitely want to try but it would be much better if I can get it for 30% off :).

Did they offer Wonderland 30% off the first night when you board the ship or it was part of the dining package?

I got 30% off the first night in January. The restaurant was not very busy.

Thanks again. I've heard conflicting info on booking 2 packages. You're right BOGO is a great deal - so good I'm amazed it exists

I am going to try to get Wonderland I think it'll be fun

Yes, you should enjoy it. And for your husband, just have them bring him out an entree so he's eating while you are trying the unusual stuff.

I don't understad the BOGO pricing either, but I'm not complaining! I just hope it works out as expected (earlier reports had said it worked). Hopefully tomorrow at this time I'll have my reservations set for Jamie's and Wonderland.

Edited by MisterBill99