Would walking boots be over the top? Norway fjords on Saturday

DebJef

Looking at very wet weather for Saturday's cruise to Norway on Britannia. I hope to get out and walk around on my own at most ports (except Flam where I've booked the scenic railway excursion, but now disappointed to read that Britannia often doesn't dock there!) Would walking boots be completely over the top? Just worried in case it's pouring. Clothing advice please!

Looking at very wet weather for Saturday's cruise to Norway on Britannia. I hope to get out and walk around on my own at most ports (except Flam where I've booked the scenic railway excursion, but now disappointed to read that Britannia often doesn't dock there!) Would walking boots be completely over the top? Just worried in case it's pouring. Clothing advice please!

layers, layers layer. top one some sort of wet weather coat/jacket. The most we ever take are kagools.

walking boots..well as long as you are going to Southampton by car, so luggage isn't a problem, you could take them..I have some, don't take them now, as I have numerous problems with feet/legs, so do not walk far enough to make it worth it.

if you like going for l o n g walks I would say take them if you want to.

We were there in April on Britannia and I did wear walking shoes but it was April. In the end they just weren't needed as it was like walking in the uk. The only time I appreciated them was getting out of the train at the waterfall but trainers would have been just as good.

When we went it was dry but I had in my rucksack leggings, rain jacket, gloves and hat and none of it was needed. The main thing is to have ordinary rainwear available, nothing special just as you would buy for the uk. If it's cold layers of clothing is the answer. Yesterday on the Flam webcam people were walking around in shorts and one woman over by one of the coaches was using a parasol!

Enjoy the cruise Britannia is wonderful

We were there in April on Britannia and I did wear walking shoes but it was April. In the end they just weren't needed as it was like walking in the uk. The only time I appreciated them was getting out of the train at the waterfall but trainers would have been just as good.

When we went it was dry but I had in my rucksack leggings, rain jacket, gloves and hat and none of it was needed. The main thing is to have ordinary rainwear available, nothing special just as you would buy for the uk. If it's cold layers of clothing is the answer. Yesterday on the Flam webcam people were walking around in shorts and one woman over by one of the coaches was using a parasol!

That's really helpful, thank you.

Useful - thanks for the reply.

I would take walking boots. Last year when in the fjords it had been raining and I took my walking shoes and wished I had taken my boots with the better grip as I was slipping when climbing on wet grass.

When we did the fjords with Fred they had a walking group that got off at each port with the whole kit and caboodle,poles,boots. They would go for a grand wander, and return.

If you are just doing the town/port area , normal shoes ok. If you are doing a grand wander up mountains sort of thing..then maybe take them.

...but now disappointed to read that Britannia often doesn't dock there!

We had flam cancelled on B618, but were advised about 3 months in advance so if you haven't heard anything id say that's good news :)

I wore my walking boots when we went in June a few years ago. Had glorious weather but they are comfortable so I wore them. Went up the funicular in Bergen and walked down, ideal for grip on the slippery surface.

I would take them. We joined the tour up to the waterfall and although wearing fairly robust trainers I found it difficult on the steep paths ending up on my backside in a muddy puddle on the way back down! Good fun though.