Catamaran Sail to Stingray City Sandbar - Crowded?

pf778c

I'm considering the following cruiseline excursion this December, but after looking at pictures posted online, am concerned that it will end up being a circus with too many people milling about. We'll be aboard a smaller ship, getting into port at 7AM, and the only other ship scheduled to be in port that day is Crystal Serenity at 10AM, but with over a thousand passengers. Would it be safe to assume that the ship's excursion would take place early enough to miss the crowd from Serenity? What do you think?

"Snorkel in the world famous waters of Grand Cayman's stingray sandbar. After a short transfer to the Cayman Island Yacht Club you will board the spacious and comfortable Allura catamaran. Sailing the beautiful waters of the North Sound you will finally reach the stingray sandbar. Here you will interact with the Southern Stingrays and may be have the possibility of having them eating out of your hand! You will be provided with a mask and a snorkel so that you will be able to swim and see the stingrays. This is a unique experience you will have the opportunity to enjoy only here in Caymans."

Thanks!

Bechi

I assume you mean Stingray Sailing, they are the only cat operation that goes out there.

Lots of reviews on them already here on this board, just read down a few posts or do a simple search.

They are highly recommended, and only one ship in port is very, very rare for GC. 5 or more is more typical, then the sandbar gets crowded.

Thanks EatonDoolittle. The pictures I googled for Stingray City made it look a bit of a zoo and show quite a few boats anchored about. I guess that only occurs when there are multiple ships in port? Right now, the port calendar only shows the Wind and Crystal Serenity in port, so ~1,400 passengers, and Serenity isn't scheduled until 10AM. I don't do well with crowds! <g>

gcmgc_phototour51.jpg.f981e4fbc55a07211908472af48d5e88.jpg

It probably won't be as crowded as usual with that low of a ship count, but remember that this location is not reserved for cruise lines only. There are plenty of people who are on land based vacations that may take a tour there as well.

I do believe, that the earlier you go, the less crowded it would be.

Thanks Mrs. Fuzzmo. My main concern is the thousand plus on the Serenity who, I expect, would be there mostly at once since she's only in port until 5PM. I would imagine that most visitors staying locally would time their plans to avoid the ships as much as possible and come in smaller, sporadic groups. Appreciate the info!

In terms of experiencing the stingrays, the more important thing is how many people are on your excursion, not how many other boats there are (I mean small boats going to Stingray City, not the # of ships in GC that day). When you get there, the boat anchors, one of the crew members gets out and puts food in the water, which attracts the stingrays, the crew member holds a stingray and lets passengers touch it or gives it to them to hold if they want. There will be other stingrays passing by in the water. If you're on a boat with more people, then there's more folks to share the stingray that's being held by the crew member, but everyone who wants to touch or hold it will still be able to. The ride itself may not be as pleasant, too.

If there are more boats, what I described will be happening in more places, and it may look very crowded if you look around you, but it won't actually affect your seeing or touching the stingrays. There is enough space between boats, even on crowded days, and enough stingrays to go around to all of the boats. Sure, it would be cool to look around and be the only boat there (I know you didn't ask for that, but it's an image that I have), but that's not really necessary to experience the stingrays.

I happen to read a recent review by someone who went on the Allura, and they said it wasn't very crowded, but I agree with the above post that you should read reviews. I hope that you go and enjoy it!

FYI, Red Sail also does catamarans out to Stingray City.

OP, two small ships is a quiet day in port. On a six ship day or a day with one of the mega ships as part of the action, you can get 10-12,000 passengers or sometimes even more. Book the excursion you feel most comfortable with. You'll be fine in terms of crowds.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll still keep this excursion in mind as an option. (I'm leaning towards a tour of the area on horseback, but this caught my eye when I realised that the rays aren't captive and visit of their own volition). As I said, it was the pictures I googled showing hundreds of people in the water that gave me misgivings. I did read the post from someone who wrote that the Allura was less crowded, but I thought they were referring to the Allura rather than the excursion itself. Appreciate your assistance!

Edited by pf778c