Enough is Enough Carnival Detractors-This is What FREE Costs You

Cruiseathoning

All cruise lines fleece you! Granted, more included food options on Carnival looks nice. But an example on Carnival is that your entire cabin has to get the drink package if 1 person wants it. So my wife, who may only want 2 - 3 drinks a day, has to get the package. That's a net loss for me. On NCL, you can maybe select different items to suit your cabin better - included gratuities for one.

On Royal, on some cruises - when you add 3rd and 4th guests, they raise the prices of guests 1 and 2 to offset the discounts.... (at least, that's how it appears as a regular person booking a cruise).

I think it's pretty simple - that NCL is sometimes cheaper, and Carnival is sometimes cheaper. Depends on cruiser :)

NCL is fleecing customers much more than other lines since Del Rio took over though, seems to be his mantra lately;). I think going forward we'll be seeing less NCL is sometimes cheaper fare for fare (although some will see NCL as a better value because of the included promotions).

We sailed NCL when the beverage package really was free. We booked in Feb 2015 for a Nov 2015 cruise. We booked an oceanview to get it. It was the cheapest cruise we had taken after 2 carnivals. We booked another NCL after for March 2016. The beverage package that was free cost $200 and when we priced same cruise on carnival was still cheaper. This was out of New Orleans. We went to book again and now you cant pick a guarantee stateroom. Now it is more expensive than it was. now that NCL won't allow water to be brought on board, doesn't include bottled water on the beverage package and is charging a ridiculous amount for it we are sailing again on carnival.

I find that I have to evaluate each cruise date and ship, as I have found value on NCL as well as lower pricing.

It pays to comparision shop your cruises When Carnival changed its solo sailing rate from 150 to 200% I began looking at other cruiselines. I discovered that other lines have stuff I wasn't even aware of due to only cruising on Carnival. I was even able to find a lower rate on Celebrity for December cruises out of SJU. Entertainment on Celebrity and NCL is vastly different than on Carnival.

As far as "free" packages, I was able to get a 6 specialty dinner package for $19.95 on on upcoming 14 day cruise with a studio, and a 4 specialty dinner pkg for the same price on a recent 7 day Bermuda balcony cruise. Well worth a twenty IMO.

Edited by evandbob

I'm disenchanted with NCL's changes too. I have a future cruise certificate I bought when prices were not "enhanced" and don't have desire to use it. I cruised on a solo special, but they no longer exist (and other lines have cut back too). I can't see cruising with inflated pricing, paying double to get a so called freebee that you must upgrade even to get it.

People talk about the solo cabins, but they are not as cheap as people think and you get a teeny tiny cabin.

I guess this thread will certainly disappear.

I agree with you, I think NCL is having trouble re-branding itself. Say hi to St. Cloud for us, left there 2 years ago.

Linda and Lou

Much of the discontent with NCL and "free" promotions stems from the fact that it seems to be in constant change. At any given date, the UBP or dining packages are truly free with no added service charges. Then, before you know it, there are the added service charges and the number of "free" dinners drops to either 4 or 6 and not for the entire number of sailing days.

The only truly "free" promos for now seem to be the internet and shore excursions (limited to $25 per port and only for 4 ports) since there are no additional charges to be paid on them.

The "free" promos only cover the 1st 2 passengers. The "free" 3 or 4 passenger gets none of the promos and at least on my Gem sailing turned out to be a child.

When you make a decision to book a cruise you really need to factor in all the charges. Otherwise your $500 cabin ends up costing you more like $900 or $1000 with the "free" promos.

Now, the "free" promos that really would benefit everyone:

1. free gratuities (for cabin and dining rooms)

2. cabin credit to be used on anything on board

3. reduce the cabin prices and not give any promos

MARAPRINCE

to Magic class.

Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, et.al are different.

I would rather drive a Chevy than a Buick. I have never driven a Buick that did not make me want to drive up to the factory and complain. But I suppose then by that comparison I am looking for Corolla of the Seas, because neither manufacturer is worth much.

Book what you want just be informed.