Who gets the VAT for our cruise?

HawkIVette

Not trying to rub any more salt in the would, but just trying to get some info.

So, my cruise starts in Athens (Sept. 13th). Now that Turkey is cancelled, I understand the VAT will be imposed. It is not really about how much, as cruising gets expensive and another 10% on some services is not going to kill anybody.

But does Greece get the Tax from me, or Spain, as that is where we end up?

Also, how do I apply to get it back before I leave Spain?

Also, is there a limit on the tax back?

Can it include all VAT paid, like hotels rooms in Athens and Barcelona?

I am not sure but I am sure I read that the tax goes to your embark port...in this case Greece.

I believe that the 10%ish on food and drink is non refundable to anyone (EU or not). People the claim refunds back on bought goods have to ensure the items are on their person and have receipts when exiting the EU.

Tax is for the originating country apart from when the ship is in another countries port. (In that instance the tax collected goes to that country.)

As your cruise is starting from Athens and Greek Tax for food, drink and most other things you will have 24% added to your bill. Luckily it's not going to hurt you eh.

And you cannot claim any tax back for any food or drink.

Glad to be of help. :D

Joking aside, this is going to have a fairly big impact on costs to individuals and ultimately hit cruise lines through decrease in sales by cruisers and likely put people off from booking in the first place. (Or chose a better quality cruise line like Silversea who I can confirm do not tax food or drink onboard. They do add tax to goods purchased like jewellery as I found out in April.)

Tax is for the originating country apart from when the ship is in another countries port. (In that instance the tax collected goes to that country.)

As your cruise is starting from Athens and Greek Tax for food, drink and most other things you will have 24% added to your bill. Luckily it's not going to hurt you eh.

And you cannot claim any tax back for any food or drink.

Glad to be of help. :D

Joking aside, this is going to have a fairly big impact on costs to individuals and ultimately hit cruise lines through decrease in sales by cruisers and likely put people off from booking in the first place. (Or chose a better quality cruise line like Silversea who I can confirm do not tax food or drink onboard. They do add tax to goods purchased like jewellery as I found out in April.)

Ok, so that clears everything up. Carnival does NOT get the tax. So, it is not Carnivals fault.

I said no more rubbing salt in the would, which meant, not to get YOU any more aggravated then you are. So, I know you are upset, but please refrain from my thread any negativity that you have, as that is not what my questions were intended to do.

Thanks for the info, but please just answer my question so I can be informed. What ever the consequences are, they are. And I am prepared to accept them.

It can be complicated to get the refund but here is a short breakdown.

1. You must get a receipt and fill out a VAT tax form at the location where you purchased.

2. You must spend a certain amount of € per transaction to receive the refund. The amount varies by country but if you are applying for your refund in Spain then it is approximately €120 (don't totally quote me this is what I remember reading).

3. Only purchased goods (think tangible items like clothing, soaps, etc) can be used for the refund. No food, drink or lodging is included.

4. You must apply for your refund at the airport before you leave your final country. You only have to apply once though. You must have all of your items with you so do it before checking in your luggage. Allow plenty of time to find the refund office at the airport.

A couple of web articles on the subject.

http://www.reidsguides.com/t_mo/t_mo_vat.html

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/articles/taxfree_shopping2.htm

Hope this helps and you have a wonderful trip.