Solo Haven, guest policy

chrisa222

Apologies if this has come up before.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a haven as a solo, but traveling with a family member who is also a solo in a non-haven room.

If I book the haven (paying double) would NCL allow my family member into the haven area at all? Restaurant? Is there any flexibility or anyone I can ask at NCL? I spoke to NCL customer service and was told there is no flexibility--whixh I don't completely understand since I'm effectively paying for two people with the single supplement being double.

Thanks in advance if you have anything to suggest.

No need to apologize since it comes up every few weeks.

The suggestion would be for the family member to cancel their solo and to join you. You two can work out financial differences later. Even a sofa bed in the Haven beats a bed in a solo.

Otherwise, the family member is not entitled to the Haven courtyard, pool, bar, etc.

We are both in balconies booked at solo rates (i.e. Double). We don't/can't share a room unless there's at least 1BR. Costs are prohibitive to book two haven solo but I thought I could do one.

Edited by chrisa222

You could ask about the 2-Bedroom Haven (if any are left). Granted, one bedroom is equivalent to an "inside" cabin; however, the main living room is separated from the bedroom. So, there would be privacy (and a 2nd bathroom as well).

Also, aft Haven has a separate bedroom from living room (one bedroom - living room is the "second" bedroom"). Those have 2 bathrooms also.

I only book Haven and only travel solo since my DH passed. And, on my last cruise, I had a solo friend in a balcony. I had the Haven access, he did not. We got Vibe passes and met up in various places around the ship to hang out, have dinner, etc.

I never would have requested him to be allowed access. I paid for it, he did not.

We are both in balconies booked at solo rates (i.e. Double). We don't/can't share a room unless there's at least 1BR. Costs are prohibitive to book two haven solo but I thought I could do one.

Most (not all) Haven staterooms have a separate bedroom for one of you while the other would use the sofa bed/living room.

Do you mean that each of you needs a separate bedroom?

I'm 40 days away and they would not give me credit of what I paid for both cabins if we combined into one room. Unfortunately. They said they would count the lesser balcony as a cancellation so that money would be lost--over $1600

At 40 days out, you're still pretty early in the upsell situation from what is discussed here on CC. I've never used it but seems to be the general consensus.

You may want to search it on the forums, but I think the deals are closer in to the sailing date.

If the balconies are selling out around then, they may be inclined to make a better deal to be able to sell those cabins again.

I didn't see which ship you're looking at - but check the suites to see which have a bedroom that is separate (some don't - I think, on Escape, the regular Courtyard does not, but then there are the 2 bedrooms.

Try booking your friend in your haven suite and also keep their cabin booking.

I know I've read this discussion before and people will be adamant that it can't be done, but I met some people on the Escape Transatlantic. And they have done something like this for a number of NCL cruises. It can be done. It's just a matter of finding someone at NCL to get it done

At 40 days out, you're still pretty early in the upsell situation from what is discussed here on CC. I've never used it but seems to be the general consensus.

As OP posted before your post...

I'm 40 days away and they would not give me credit of what I paid for both cabins if we combined into one room. Unfortunately. They said they would count the lesser balcony as a cancellation so that money would be lost--over $1600

There are currently 2 balcony cabins booked at the solo rate (double supplement?). OP would like to combine into 1 Haven cabin but must have (at least) separate bedroom. Did I get that right chrisa222?

Try booking your friend in your haven suite and also keep their cabin booking.

I know I've read this discussion before and people will be adamant that it can't be done, but I met some people on the Escape Transatlantic. And they have done something like this for a number of NCL cruises. It can be done. It's just a matter of finding someone at NCL to get it done

I have heard of this being done. I believe there was a review where this was explained. I will look for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apologies if this has come up before.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a haven as a solo, but traveling with a family member who is also a solo in a non-haven room.

If I book the haven (paying double) would NCL allow my family member into the haven area at all? Restaurant? Is there any flexibility or anyone I can ask at NCL? I spoke to NCL customer service and was told there is no flexibility--whixh I don't completely understand since I'm effectively paying for two people with the single supplement being double.

Thanks in advance if you have anything to suggest.

This seems silly. Why not look at one of the forward, aft or 2-bedroom suites instead? It'll probably be cheaper than both of you sailing solo and you'll each have your own sleeping area & bathroom. I like the aft & forward suites because you can access the balcony from either room, whereas the 2-bedroom suite balcony is small and can only be accessed from the living room.