Marseilles and Cannes

JetSet2B

I'm struggling a bit to find tours with NCL for both these ports. I'm traveling solo and have a credit with NCL so I'd prefer to book a cruise excursion. I've already been to Cannes/Nuce/Villefranche/Antibes/Monaco so that leaves Grasse/St. Paul de Vence. Seems a bit boring though.

In Marseilles I was thinking of Baux de Provence or Aix then exploring Marseilles on my own.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I need help deciding.

• 3 weeks later...

Bored in France? Personally, we do find just about any large group excursion to be boring (and frustrating). But having spent many months on both Provence and the French Riviera...we do not understand the word "boring." As to St Paul de Vence, it has been a favorite town of DW and Moi for about thirty years. These days, we are unhappy with the trend towards fewer galleries and more touristy shops...but still love the atmosphere and just strolling through the charming walled city.

As to Provence, Les Baux is a nice place to visit and is often paired with a visit to St Remy (a charming small town). Aix is a large city and very nice for those that enjoy large cities :). Speaking of cities, there is Arles, Nimes, etc etc. And of course one should not forget Avignon (probably the most interesting city in the region). Hard to get "bored" which is one reason why we have a nasty habit of renting an apartment in this region :).

Hank

I'm struggling a bit to find tours with NCL for both these ports. I'm traveling solo and have a credit with NCL so I'd prefer to book a cruise excursion. I've already been to Cannes/Nuce/Villefranche/Antibes/Monaco so that leaves Grasse/St. Paul de Vence. Seems a bit boring though.

In Marseilles I was thinking of Baux de Provence or Aix then exploring Marseilles on my own.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I need help deciding.

Is the excursion to both St Paul and Grasse? Or are those separate excursions? If separate, go to St Paul. There is nothing boring about St Paul de Vence. If you missed it in your previous trips, do not pass up the chance. It is one of the most beautiful and iconic of the Provencal perched villages.

If the excursion is to both towns, you will find that Grasse, the old town, is very interesting too and it is the center of perfume production in France. If they take you from one to the other by the mountain road, you will see some beautiful landscapes.

Much as I love Cassis, I would recommend either Les Baux or Aix for your first time visit to the area. They are both different aspects of the amazing history and architecture of Provence. Cassis is a lovely seaside town for relaxation. If there is an excursion that goes to both Les Baux and Aix that would be my first choice. But, if not, choose an excursion that goes to Aix and Cassis. If there is any time left, tour Marseille on your own, but do not make that your priority.

Edited by marazul