Liberty and Cheers drink card

Schatzie51

I have a friend leaving on Liberty next week out of Galveston. She will have the Cheers drink card, and just told me, that it can't be used the first day of the cruise. It's a Texas law??? I just got off the Liberty of the Seas, out of Galveston, and had their drink card, we used it the moment we got on board. Anyone been on Liberty, can you tell me if this is true? We are on her in March. Thanks

RCL must be willing to give up part of their profit to allow it to be used on day 1.

The Texas liquor laws changed sometime back requiring alcohol purchased on board or in another country has to be taxed when bringing it back.

Additionally, tax has to be paid on all drinks when in port.

Now, they have extended that to requiring tax to be paid on the total drink package cost if it's purchased or used while in port. That would significantly drive up the cost of Cheers.

Rather than pass that cost along to us, and since it wouldn't be profitable for them to absorb the cost, Carnival is protecting everyone by not allowing the package to be used or purchased on day 1.

I have a friend leaving on Liberty next week out of Galveston. She will have the Cheers drink card, and just told me, that it can't be used the first day of the cruise. It's a Texas law??? I just got off the Liberty of the Seas, out of Galveston, and had their drink card, we used it the moment we got on board. Anyone been on Liberty, can you tell me if this is true? We are on her in March. Thanks

Understand ... you don't pay for day 1 either. It's not like you're paying for something that you can't get. You can still purchase drinks "by-the-drink" on day 1, but Cheers won't start until 6am day 2.

Carnival chooses to go the easier route. RCCL has always sold their drink packages online prior to the cruise for use on their ships sailing from Galveston and yes, it starts when you board.

The selection is limited the first day due to Texas liquor tax but full bar is available the second day. All liquor must bear a Texas Tax stamp if consumed the first day.

Carnival wants bigger profits for themselves and this does not equate for them. To think Carnival is 'protecting us' is silly.

And tax is paid in all US ports on drinks purchased even if you have Cheers. There is no tax on the package as the tax is collected per drink while in port.

The Texas alcohol law is decades old. When cruises originated in Galveston when the nifty little Celebration arrived Carnival did not offer the Cheers card, and decided to do a bar service reflective of liquor and beer they paid the taxes on.

As a result the Cheers card is for the number of full days out of domestic waters. You will also notice most beers are 12 oz cans for the short sail from the port to international waters; usually within the first hour of sail away.

The bars close for 10-15 min for a quick inventory and changeover. The bartenders are in a hurry, as thirsty cruisers await! The selections are not limited the first day, only for the first part of the cruise.

In the past year or so TABC has decided to mobilize a small army of people stationed after you clear US Customs who have one goal, and that's to collect the tax on alcohol brought back in the state. I love to stare blankly at them and keep on walking when they ask " did you buy any alcohol on the ship or in port?" We don't, but I still chuckle at them.

There was much noise level when the state decided to enforce this, and in my opinion if I indicate on the US Customs Declaration Form that I didn't purchase alcohol then I'm good...

Your opinions and mileage may vary.

Edited by BallFour4

The selection is limited the first day due to Texas liquor tax but full bar is available the second day. All liquor must bear a Texas Tax stamp if consumed the first day.

Your post has good information but this part is not correct. The bar selections are a little limited for the time spent to travel to international water. That's usually less than an hour.

Edited by BallFour4

Just because they haven't been caught yet doesn't mean it's legal. You can't legally offer prepaid drinking packages in Texas. The state wants to tax every beverage sold at the point of sale and you can't really do that when buying a package.

It's a shame that the TABC gets to do it but until someone spends the money on lawyers to get the laws challenged it's not going to change. In my opinion once you pass through customs you shouldn't be subjected to local or even state laws, specifically regarding taxes. Texas doesn't see it that way though.

• 2 weeks later...
I was under the impression that if you buy Cheers before the cruise, you could use it on day one, but that it could not be purchased on board until the second day. Is that not correct?

Not on ships departing out of Galveston. You can begin using them on day 2.