Hat for Mediterranean Cruise in October?

JetSet2B

Have my first Med cruise coming up and it seems a bit different that the Caribbean cruises I'm used to. I'm trying to figure out the hat situation for those long days in the sun. October seems a bit late for a straw hat but a bit early for a wool hat. Any thoughts?

And before anyone asks, I don't do baseball caps. :D

I am not a hat person and normally do not wear one at all. But this year I was in the Naples area for a couple of weeks in June and it was HOT. I promised myself I'd try to find something I could stand to wear to protect my head and face from really scorching sun.

I was inspired by Cruise Kitty's thread (the one you already found) to take another look at Tilley hats. I ordered two, and ended up keeping one -- I really like it because it doesn't look too summery or beachy and doesn't scream "desert expedition" like some of their hats. It's this one, a slightly different version of the one CK has:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/sun-protection/451139-133777/tilley-endurables-tmh9-broad-brim-hat.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=451139-133871&scid=scplp2983230&sc_intid=451139-133871&gclid=CjwKEAjwrvq9BRD5gLyrufTqg0YSJACcuF81At1pR9y1HF-C5FhvWS70T_0cg6yIXXVjDITcpD_cUBoCmdzw_wcB

I like the material (lightweight), the size of the brim, and the material that has black and white flecks in it (my main travel basic color is black with lots of black and white pieces).

Will I really wear it? Remains to be seen. But at least I am prepared!

cruisemom42, I have virtually the same hat, same style but in a dark taupe hemp fabric. I bought it originally for a land trip to Israel, and loved both its comfort and its toughness - you don't have to be as careful as a straw hat, and it rolls up very small for packing. The brim is wide enough to protect, but small enough not to bug. Really glad I made the investment.

I am not a hat person and normally do not wear one at all. But this year I was in the Naples area for a couple of weeks in June and it was HOT. I promised myself I'd try to find something I could stand to wear to protect my head and face from really scorching sun.

I was inspired by Cruise Kitty's thread (the one you already found) to take another look at Tilley hats. I ordered two, and ended up keeping one -- I really like it because it doesn't look too summery or beachy and doesn't scream "desert expedition" like some of their hats. It's this one, a slightly different version of the one CK has:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/sun-protection/451139-133777/tilley-endurables-tmh9-broad-brim-hat.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=451139-133871&scid=scplp2983230&sc_intid=451139-133871&gclid=CjwKEAjwrvq9BRD5gLyrufTqg0YSJACcuF81At1pR9y1HF-C5FhvWS70T_0cg6yIXXVjDITcpD_cUBoCmdzw_wcB

I like the material (lightweight), the size of the brim, and the material that has black and white flecks in it (my main travel basic color is black with lots of black and white pieces).

Will I really wear it? Remains to be seen. But at least I am prepared!

Thanks for the link! I forgot to mention that I have a big head and lots of hair so standard hats don't fit. They have an XL but I'm not sure that will work. But that's a good idea: a hat made out of material, not straw or wool.

cruisemom42, I have virtually the same hat, same style but in a dark taupe hemp fabric. I bought it originally for a land trip to Israel, and loved both its comfort and its toughness - you don't have to be as careful as a straw hat, and it rolls up very small for packing. The brim is wide enough to protect, but small enough not to bug. Really glad I made the investment.

I'm also planning a trip to Israel and will need a hat, same deal--not straw and not wool. Where did you get your hat?

I'm also planning a trip to Israel and will need a hat, same deal--not straw and not wool. Where did you get your hat?

The Tilley website has a "find a store" feature ;)

My husband - who owns a winter Tilley and a summer Tilley and many many other hats (he shaves his head so he needs sun protection and/or warmth all the time) - just said "sure, I always need a new hat" when I asked if he needed another before our Asia cruise:rolleyes: We're having a hard time figuring that out - we want goretex for water resistance but also venting because it's the tropics. Not really a good combo in the hat world. So onward we look.....

Thanks for the link! I forgot to mention that I have a big head and lots of hair so standard hats don't fit. They have an XL but I'm not sure that will work. But that's a good idea: a hat made out of material, not straw or wool.

I also have a fairly large head and the size L fit me.

Tilley has a tool for measuring for the correct size on their website. You can try it out and see what results you get. I thought I would probably need an XL, but the L was recommended based on my measurements, and it fits me well.

• 2 weeks later...