Luggage Direct

jerseygirl3

We're doing a TA from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale in November. I am interested in doing Luggage Direct, but can't seem to get accurate info. DH and I are on different record locator numbers with AA since we booked using points, but that shouldn't be a problem. However, I will have 3 bags and DH will have 2. I've been told varying information regarding my having 3 bags. I've been told 2 bags are $39.95 plus a $19.95 "activation fee." An then the 3 bags will be $49.95 plus the $19.95 "activation fee."

None of this seems correct. Could someone point me in the right direction and provide accurate info regarding 3 bags vs 2? It seems this isn't actually done through HAL, but through a private third party. But that third party keeps giving me different information and no one seems to know what they are talking about.

If it matters, we are booked in First Class, so AA is not charging for bags. So the only charge we should have is from Luggage Direct.

I just used Luggage Direct this past Sunday from Seattle - also available in Ft. Lauderdale although one time sailing into FLL, it was not offered.

I have never heard of signing up for it prior to your cruise.

A form was sent to my cabin early on in the cruise (7days) where you could sign up for Luggage Direct - the flat charge is 19.95. I flew on SW so no baggage fees. Have been on American and Alaska first class and no baggage fees. The $19.95 is billed to your shipboard account. If there are baggage fees, they are also billed to your shipboard account.

This time I was told ,and I believe it is on the form, that your airline will decide whether or not you can participate. Have no idea what the airline criteria would be for participation.

The afternoon before departure I received the baggage tags with the first flight out information on it (which you attach to your luggage) as well as the departure card indicating Luggage Direct. You also receive your airline boarding passes.

All the bags for the particular airline are sent to the airline where the airline baggage tags are affixed to your luggage.

Luggage direct folks depart the ship after the Expedited (walk off with all your luggage) do.

Barbara

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious about reasons it is denied. We have done it a few times our relative had no problems but we were denied (a few times). Our theories

-we had flights later in the day (we were on AA) and they could not hold bags over 4 hours.

-on Southwest (one of the times) we checked in online at 24 hours prior to departure and this messed up their check in.

Not sure if either are valid theories, would love to hear others thoughts.

We will be disembarking Eurodam in Fort Lauderdale this January and will have evening flights out of MIA (5PM and 8PM). Hopefully we will be able to use the service!

Edited by zgscl