Bermuda Island Internet

girlcruiser

When I was on the Breakaway last year you could access the Island WIFI from deck 7 on the island side I was wondering about the Anthem if people have noticed the same thing from the open decks

One of our nieces were on the AOS and yes, whether you are docked at Heritage Wharf (typically for the mega ship) or King's Wharf (usually the smaller ship if there's more than one) - from the open & lower deck/balconies - facing the pier, you should be within range of the the paid WiFi network, SSID is "WiFi Zone by TBi" and other/additional secured WiFi networks (i.e. Frog and Onion, on 5 GHz band) are visible but not user accessible.

See my post #150 written while we're on the Breakaway - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50177812&postcount=150

The unlimited WiFi pass is sold at the VIS, 3 day is just $15 this season and is good at other WiFi hotspot all over the islands. Hamilton's public library has free WiFi but everywhere else, uphill & not too far from the ferry terminal and waterfront.

One of our nieces were on the AOS and yes, whether you are docked at Heritage Wharf (typically for the mega ship) or King's Wharf (usually the smaller ship if there's more than one) - from the open & lower deck/balconies - facing the pier, you should be within range of the the paid WiFi network, SSID is "WiFi Zone by TBi" and other/additional secured WiFi networks (i.e. Frog and Onion, on 5 GHz band) are visible but not user accessible.

See my post #150 written while we're on the Breakaway - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50177812&postcount=150

The unlimited WiFi pass is sold at the VIS, 3 day is just $15 this season and is good at other WiFi hotspot all over the islands. Hamilton's public library has free WiFi but everywhere else, uphill & not too far from the ferry terminal and waterfront.

Thanks I used it last spring and it worked out great on the Breakaway so glad to hear it is good for the Anthem

ive never used/paid for public wifi. id only be using it for email and general searching..nothing financial

so would i be safe?

ive never used/paid for public wifi. id only be using it for email and general searching..nothing financial

so would i be safe?

For general use, public or open WiFi is fine, you've probably seen folks doing all sorts of online tasks at Starbucks, DD and McD's.

Whether it's an iPad, iPhone or Android or Nexus device, you want to do your best to keep it updated, current & run anti+virus security shield at all times, mine has VPN as well as needed. Changing passwords on a random but regular basis are also best practices. Finance sites often tell you about previous log-in using your IP address info.

I wouldn't worry too much & just enjoy the vacation. Bermuda is beautiful.

via Nexus* over Google Fi - WiFi network, VPN secured

• 1 month later...

WiFi signals on the 2.4 GHz band, as a general rule, have an outdoor range of up to 250 or 300 feet (75 to 90 meters) under ideal/optimal conditions, providing that there are no nearby interference as the 2.4 GHz band is shared by other devices, mostly lower powered. BDA's WiFi hasn't deployed 5 GHz band yet, which has a shorter range but less congested.

It is highly unlikely (as in practically unexpected or intended) to get coverage down at HS Beach from the solo hotspot up the hill on the main road - way, way too far out ... you might "see" or pickup the signal but it will be unusable even if you manage to log into the system.

From the Breakaway's Waterfront, you can pickup the signal on the pier side - just need to find that sweet spot, too far away from the antenna/booster - and, you won't have signal.

We used T-Mobile/DigiCel on the island (international coverage under Caribbean plan by Project Fi) and 3G cellular signal was rock solid, all the way up to deck 15 and 16 - it is even faster these days and practically at 4G, just a notch slower than LTE.

P.S. If sailing on the BA and you have the "free" 250 minutes promo plan, you actually get 1GB and equivalent of 1,000 minutes - that's plentiful for light email & web searches on the ship - just zero coverage once you hit Dockyard (or elsewhere on the islands).

Edited by mking8288