Can You Get Off the Ship Once Checked In?

Baltorep

I am taking my Mother on VOS this December and we will be arriving separately. If I check in before she gets there and she calls me on my cell phone when she arrives in the port can I leave the ship to meet her then reboard?

Hi, Baltorep - I've never done it myself (once I'm on the first day I want to stay on and explore the ship!) but my understanding has always been that once you have your shipboard pass, you can come and go just like in any port. I've certainly seen people coming and going from the ship while I'm standing in line for security, checkin, photo, etc. who are just walking out or back on.

Hopefully somebody will respond who's already done this. Enjoy your cruise with your Mom!

YES, the answer to your question is YES.

Put all your things in your cabin and grab your sea pass to get back off and get back on.

Be sure to display your sea pass as you exit because people will assume that you are not checked in, etc. And prepare for some "bumps" as you get off because the staff is not used to helping people exit the ship at this point. But the answer to your question is YES and all you need to get on and off is your seapass.

In Alaska this summer, we went through the special check in for people doing the US Direct. Before we ever boarded the ship after check in, we went back into the terminal to meet friends who work on the ship. The staff thought we were crazy since we still had our carry-ons with us. BTW...Are you on the same docs or do you each have your own? We were on the same and they would not let us board at different times, we had to appear together for check in even though I had a copy for both of us. If so, you might want to check to see if you can even board before her. Just an FYI ... something that we ran into.

I had to do this in Port Canaveral once. DH couldn't find keys when he was emptying his pockets into the safe. I went back out and found them laying on the ground beside the car. No problem whatsoever! Be sure as previous poster noted and take your seapass card and I also took my picture ID just in case.

Thanks everyone for your responses. The TA ordered separate docs (waiting to see if RCL does it;)) for us just in case we traveled separately. The post about cell phone signal is something I had not thought of so I will monitor the cell signal to make sure all is well. Although I have the "Can you hear me Now" company:D.

Yes, you can leave the ship and reboard. You have to put your sea pass in the machine on the way out, and put it back in the machine when you return, just like at any port.

When we sailed from San Juan we checked in, had lunch, then got off the ship, and took a taxi into town, went to the fort and came back to the ship. Of course we didn't sail until 10pm so we had time to do all this.

Yes, you can get on the ship, then get back off again, but if you and your mother are on the same SeaPass / reservation, you need to check in at the same time (according to the RCI website). Maybe there are exceptions to the rule, but according to the site, everyone from your party has to board together.

Thanks everyone for your responses. The TA ordered separate docs (waiting to see if RCL does it;)) for us just in case we traveled separately. The post about cell phone signal is something I had not thought of so I will monitor the cell signal to make sure all is well. Although I have the "Can you hear me Now" company:D.

If you're expecting a cell phone call, stay off the elevator! For sure you

won't have a signal there. Best thing to do is stay on an open deck. Even if

you eat lunch, you can probably eat outside.

I am sure every phone/carrier may vary, but, on my last cruise some friends of ours missed their flight and needed to be sure they could join us at our first port.

They could not get through to Royal Caribbean's land offices. They needed an immediate answer since one half of one couple was ready to board (he had taken a different flight, from a conference). He was not going to get on the ship unless he knew his wife would be able to join us in Puerto Rico.

While on board, but, still at the dock, I received and sent a flurry of cell phone calls, from all over the ship. I am sure that many of the calls were when I was inside the ship, including my cabin, stairwells, etc.

My friends could not get through to Royal Caribbean's land offices so I called my friend on my cell phone and handed my phone to the Guest Relations person (deck 5) of the Jewel so they could get the info they needed!

I have Verizon.

P.S. The Guest Relations person seemed a little startled to be assisting a guest that was still in Massachusetts!!

Archived