Anyone know what happened on the Legend this week?

nancyfancy40

I learn so much from your posts, thank you. Does a pod just stop or does the bridge get some type of warning before hand? Luckily, I have never been on a ship that listed or turned hard.

The bridge won't normally get any warning indication, but the engineers in the control room will be monitoring all aspects of the pod (and every other piece of derspinningwhirlinggerflinging machinery in the engine room). Sometimes there will be indications of imminent failure, sometimes there won't. Usually, if it is a mechanical problem it gives warnings (higher temperatures, lower pressures, more amperage), but electronic control systems frequently just fail instantaneously.

Gerfingerpokin.... I'm still chuckling over that one.:D

I usually post this sign on the control console in all my engine rooms:

ACHTUNG!

ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS!

DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.

ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

The bridge won't normally get any warning indication, but the engineers in the control room will be monitoring all aspects of the pod (and every other piece of derspinningwhirlinggerflinging machinery in the engine room). Sometimes there will be indications of imminent failure, sometimes there won't. Usually, if it is a mechanical problem it gives warnings (higher temperatures, lower pressures, more amperage), but electronic control systems frequently just fail instantaneously.

Sounds kind of like what happens when I eat curry :D

Nope, deer.

Sad to hear. This does kind of prove that hunting is necessary to control deer population. There are clearly so many, that they are now swimming out to sea. Wonder if they had Venison on the Have You Ever menu?

Sad to hear. This does kind of prove that hunting is necessary to control deer population. There are clearly so many, that they are now swimming out to sea. Wonder if they had Venison on the Have You Ever menu?

If it becomes a regular occurrence, they will change the name of the BBQ places to Bambi's ;)

Edited by firemanbobswife

Maybe this was caused by one of those poorly place deer crossing signs that attract all the deer to the highways.

I was on the Legend when that happened last night. I can say it was the most scared I've ever been in my life. During dinner we heard a loud sound and felt a big bump. Right when it happened I thought we hit something. Over the next couple minutes you could feel the ship leaning to the left side. But it didn't seem like it was going to stop. Looking out the right side of the dining room windows all you could see was the sky. On the left side all we could see was water. Then all I heard was the crashing of many plates all over the dining room and at that point many people began to panic and run out the dining room and onto the level 3 deck high side (right).

I really thought we were going down. It felt like an eternity, but it probably was only for a couple minutes. We then stopped and leveled out and the captain quickly came on and mentioned the propulsion system on the port side failed and that we have recovered and were ok. The cruise director then got on immediately and reiterated in better English what had happened. Many people were hugging and crying due to how scary of a moment it was.

I must say that Carnival crew members handled it extremely well, especially the communication during the event.

When we got ashore in Victoria the people that work the tourist stores there were watching the boat on an app since we were already an hour late due to wind and said they saw us do an abrupt u turn then went in circles. They thought we had a man overbroad and that we were looking for them.

I'll never forget how terrified we all were as all of us said we saw our lives flash before our eyes. This morning I researched this problem and it seemed to have happened on the Legend in 2013 and 2005. Also I read that this Azipod is on many ships and having the bearing go bad does happen from time to time.

I just saw a YouTube video go up less than an hour ago with someone on deck 9 near the pool where all the water had poured out onto the deck from the steep angle we were at. I also talked to some people in the balconies below that who said it was like watching a waterfall come over their balcony from above (the pool water)

Edited by Dkingnu
Forgot to add video link.

This has happened before. Sea Princess about a year ago off New Zealand had a steering malfunction and heeled over significantly. Back in 2003, the Norwegian Sky had a steering malfunction and heeled over so severely that there wasn't a piece of glassware or dishware left intact onboard, and she had to disembark about 100 passengers to go to hospital, many with broken bones. Both of these ships are propeller and rudder propulsion, not azipod, so it can happen even without azipods.

I don't believe this was a bearing failure of the azipod. As I noted before, these things give lots of warning signals, and they really haven't failed to the point of shutting down the propeller, when the engineers decide to stop running them. They normally will be taken out of service long before the bearing is actually failed, but at a point where the wear is such that it won't last until the next scheduled drydock. This sounds more like an electrical or electronic control failure.

I know that to the typical passenger it feels like you are going over, and not demeaning your terror at the time, but to the non-mariner it always feels like the angle is much greater than it really is. Looking at the youtube video (and I have no way of knowing when this was taken during the incident), looking at the angle of the water to the deck and knowing the results and angles from the above two incidents, I would say that the ship heeled over around 15-20 degrees. A hard turn, and very uncomfortable when on higher up decks, but the fact that folks could keep their feet and run out on deck tells me it wasn't much more than that angle.

Dkingnu,

Wow, Sorry you went thru that. No offense to other posters, but when I saw the thread, the first thing that popped in my mind was how did everyone on board react? Never having been on a cruise, I'm sure it would have scared me.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

It was a pretty severe list, but I think the folks who panicked were overreacting a little bit. We were in our cabin in an aft wrap on the port side of the ship so we certainly got an eyeful of how far we listed. All of our drawers flew out of the dresser and from under the couch. The garbage cans tipped- even the one secured in the bathroom. But there were no injuries and the Captain and Cruise Director came over the radio system almost immediately and kept everyone informed throughout the evening.