Recomendations for Dominica & Antiqua

cruiseorbust

Family of 4 looking for suggestions in Roseau (Dominica), St. John's (Anitgua), Barbados, & St. Maarten. We live in Florida and are able to go to the beach most of the year, so are looking for something out of the ordinary to do. We range in age from 16-55. Anyone that has been to these ports that might have any good suggestions of something you enjoyed, please let us know.

Thanks in advance!

Family of 4 looking for suggestions in Roseau (Dominica), St. John's (Anitgua), Barbados, & St. Maarten. We live in Florida and are able to go to the beach most of the year, so are looking for something out of the ordinary to do. We range in age from 16-55. Anyone that has been to these ports that might have any good suggestions of something you enjoyed, please let us know.

Thanks in advance!

Went to Dominica years ago on Princess - not impressed unless you like rain forests and if memory serves me correctly guys doing cliff diving for tips.

Antigua on the other hand - we booked a private cab/minivan first guy wanted $20/head for 3 hrs told him we would get back to him - when we went looking for him he was out and we got another guy $15 a head for 3 hrs.

Took us around for an hour and a half, then to the greatest beach for an hour and a half then another hour or so to finish the tour and we did not pay him ( his suggestion) til he dropped us at the pier - He also introduced us to Wadadley beer - hoo boy! Runaway Bay was the beach - also got to see the Gold Smitty in town even if you don't buy.

Barbados has some interesting caves

St.Maarten has a Duckboat now and if money is no object a 6 hr excursion to St.Barths

Hi there: agree with Hermang - My dh and I were in Dominica last year, not much of a place. I would suggest you do a tour to the rain forest. We did and from other passengers, I think it was a good call.

As there are a few of you go it alone via cab. Way cheaper than the ship excursion.

Ditto for the other ports. My dh and I usually hire a cab on our own or pal up with another couple and do this in most ports we visit.

Just figure out the places you would like to see (from your cruise line excursion list, boards like this, web pages etc.). Agree destinations and your price before you get in the cab and you will be fine.

Forget the above. Dominica is one of my favorite islands (esp. as a Floridian). Get a tour that goes to a couple of the water falls and especially make the trip and swim into Titou Gorge (a cavern cleft into a rain forest mountain to a waterfall). For snorkling, Champagne Reef is unique - volcanic gases vent up through part of a reef. Dominica has no major chain hotels, not much in the way of beaches, and the shopping isn't cookie cutter "swanky" - like EVERYWHERE else. It's the way the caribbean was 50 years ago and for that I love it.

Check the destination forums.

Antigua is very nice also. It is more arid, not oceanic rain forest. The locals have contained growth, and maintained native styles, but it has much more in the way of resort development and beaches compared to Dominica. Neslon's dockyard is a significant historical site and Bird Island is a fine place to visit (beach BBQs with the 5 star cats, or Eli's Eco-Tour on the protected side, with cliffs into the Atlantic on the crest of the island).

Both islands are excellent in their own ways.

isn't it amazing how we all differ on ports: I totally agree with woodofpine: there are only a handful of islands we have not visited and Dominica is among our favorites as well as Barbados. Yes, do check out ports a call. In Dominca we booked through Ken's tours. We just gave him an overall idea what we would like to see and let him plan a customized tour for us. We did the waterfall, rain forrest and a few other things. The only problem we had, was squeezing too much into one day and almost missing the ship. I have been to Barbados 3 times and still not seen it all. I would recommend one of two tour companies: either Sarah or Boyce (I think that is correct) again either will set up whatever you want and there is no end to what there is to see. The caves are worth a visit as well as the animal reserve, some of the gardens, and the churches are a must.

I hope this helps you some. We didn't find too much that interested us in Antigua. We were going to do a resort visit but the weather sucked. For you, the resort visit wouldn't be much different than what you get in Florida. St Maatin has several interesting things to do, but not as much as Barbados or Dominica. NMNita

I agree with the above posters about Dominica. We've been there twice and it is one of the most beautiful islands you'll ever see. Actually, it's the example that I use as to why you need to do more than get off the ship and walk to the shopping area.

A few years ago we took a tour with Princess that took you into the rain forest and to the waterfalls. We were enchanted with the country and the people. We were sailing away and my husband and I were up on deck wondering if we'd ever be able to come back. A couple standing next to us were remarking on what a dump it was and a waste of time. They had only gone to the shopping area which is an area set up by the locals. I felt sorry for them that they had missed out and told them that we loved the island and that they should have gone farther than the shopping area. The next time back we snorkled in the Champagne springs area which was ok. We normally snorkle since we live in Iowa and can't get to the beach ! Try the Kabuli beer !!!!!!!!!!!

Try Eli's tour in Antigua. It's definately worth the money. He takes you to a few different places and you get to pick up sea shells, climb up a hill and see great scenery, snorkel, have a great lunch, etc. We tried to go for the second time in January but the weather was bad and Eli had to cancel. We can't wait to go back.

We are using Cosol in Dominica. There is a lot of information on the Dominica board about him.

Last year we used Lawrence of Antigua and had an absolutely marvelous day in Antigua. We found both of them on the ports of call boards. Good luck.

Katie

Archived