Horta Azores

We will be on the HAL Zuiderdam transatlantic in April 2017. Our first stop after leaving Fort Lauderdale is Horta, Azores and then the next day we stop in Ponta Delgada. I can find a few posting on Ponta Delgada, but nothing recent on Horta.

I find it interesting that the thread for the Azores is in "other Mediterranean ports" which covers everything from the Black Sea to the mid Atlantic.

Horta is a tender port and I understand that weather conditions make it impossible to stop. Nevertheless is there any recent experiences on Horta that people would like to share?

• 4 months later...

I am not certain, but I think there may be a new dock in Horta.

I also seek information about what to do while there this October. Please post when you return in April!

By the way, PortaDelgada is a stunningly beautiful island stop. Make sure you get out to see as much of the island as you can. I recommend Amazing Tours there for excellent transportation and guides. The hydrangeas will be blooming in April so enjoy!

Edited by sansterre

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Prinsendam going next year and our itinerary shows it as a docked port.

I am not sure if Horta's dock limits the size of the ship or not.

The Azores archipelago is very beautiful to sail in and out of. Horta is said to be one of the 10 best spots in the world for whale watching if that is of any help.

There is a new dock in Horta..which should be able to handle the ships such as the Zuiderdam (assuming there is not more then one ship in port). We have been to Horta on 4 cruises, the first 3 being tendered and the last docked (new dock). We have never had an issue getting into that port although a major storm with high winds and seas would certainly cause issues.

Hank