Dawn questions

2Ports

Posted this in our roll call nearly a week ago - not the most active RC I've been on so I thought I'd try here:

Just booked the Dawn for January 8th (drink package made the difference - otherwise we'd be back on the Dream) and have a few questions. As you can see we haven't been on NCL much so almost newbies. I was on the Dawn last fall but it was short, before the drydock, and I was upgraded to a suite so it was quite a different experience. Hoping for some more recent info.

- Is lunch served anywhere besides at the Lido buffet on embarkation day? (for NO extra charge)

- How does the drink package work - is there a sticker on your card, is your card a different color, or do you sign a slip for $0, or what?

- Is there a drink equivalent to Carnival's Funship Special?

- Is there a waiting period between drinks using the drink package or can you order one and then another?

- Is there still a lobster night in the MDR (included)?

- I recall that when I was on her last fall the Bamboo reminded me of a chop suey place in an old gas station - is this still the case or was it improved with the dry dock ala Asian Fusion?

- Is there Goofy Golf?

- Is there a steamroom for the public or is there an extra charge?

- Anyone know where we will dock in Coz? My guess is Puerto Longosta (downtown) but my usual sources have been unclear so far

TIA

Posted this in our roll call nearly a week ago - not the most active RC I've been on so I thought I'd try here:

Just booked the Dawn for January 8th (drink package made the difference - otherwise we'd be back on the Dream) and have a few questions. As you can see we haven't been on NCL much so almost newbies. I was on the Dawn last fall but it was short, before the drydock, and I was upgraded to a suite so it was quite a different experience. Hoping for some more recent info.

- Is lunch served anywhere besides at the Lido buffet on embarkation day? (for NO extra charge) - Yes one dining room and O'Sheehans, as well as the buffet.

- How does the drink package work - is there a sticker on your card, is your card a different color, or do you sign a slip for $0, or what? - There is a sticker on your card and they swipe your card for each drink ordered.

- Is there a waiting period between drinks using the drink package or can you order one and then another? - Not sure how fast you can order, but keep in mind that their system tracks your orders (since the card is scanned), so if someone is looking to scam the system they could get caught.

- Is there still a lobster night in the MDR (included)? - Lobster has not been free in the MDR for well over a couple of years. There is, however, lobster available for a charge.

- I recall that when I was on her last fall the Bamboo reminded me of a chop suey place in an old gas station - is this still the case or was it improved with the dry dock ala Asian Fusion?

- Is there Goofy Golf?

- Anyone know where we will dock in Coz? My guess is Puerto Longosta (downtown) but my usual sources have been unclear so far

TIA

Sorry I can't answer all your questions.

- Is lunch served anywhere besides at the Lido buffet on embarkation day? (for NO extra charge)

- How does the drink package work - is there a sticker on your card, is your card a different color, or do you sign a slip for $0, or what?

- Is there a waiting period between drinks using the drink package or can you order one and then another?

- Is there still a lobster night in the MDR (included)?

- Is there Goofy Golf?

TIA

Yes, one of the dining rooms has lunch as does O'sheehans. UBP is printed on your sign/sail card. There are a few specials on drinks but not as cheap as Carnival. No lobster nights in the dining room for free.

Just got off the Dawn. No Goofy golf, though there's a little enclosure up on the sports deck for hitting (real) golf balls into a net. I think you have to bring your own club and balls, but I could be wrong.

UBP is printed on your key card, which you have to present. They will also have you sign a form, but the price is zeroed out - they're just tracking it. There was a different drink special every day -- I didn't notice the prices because it was UBP.

Didn't go to Bamboo, but it certainly looks nicer than it used to. O'Sheehan's is definitely multiple steps up from the old Blue Lagoon. Highly recommend it, especially early in the week, before most people realize it's there. It got quite busy later in the week. Beautiful views, too. Wings are as good as everybody says (we liked Thai Chili). Skip the nachos. They were the weirdest nachos I ever had -- the "cheese" was liquid but cold when it arrived at our table. Usually cheese thickens with time and cooling -- this never did. Still can't figure that out!

Thanks for the responses - anyone else have more information?

just curious about your signature:

W. Caribbean - Sensation 1/06 CANCELLED due to bad weather (Carnival's fault)

Holding the cruise line responsible for bad weather is sorta harsh?

Edited by esm54687

I just spent 2 weeks on the ship. The Venetian restaurant was open at embarkation. the free Asian restaurant was very good. No lobster in a long time. It was on the La Bistro menu.

the Fun Ship special isn't duplicated elsewhere. :) Carnival makes it a strong drink. NCL does have rum punch, but would be considered weak, compared to Carnival. It is offered at the repeater party.

just curious about your signature:

W. Caribbean - Sensation 1/06 CANCELLED due to bad weather (Carnival's fault)

Holding the cruise line responsible for bad weather is sorta harsh?

Gallows humor - perhaps a bit dated now but not for those of us who lived through it.

The Sensation was sailing out of NOLA at that time and it was just after Katrina

Blaming the cruise lines for the weather is one of those old canards on Cruise Critic.

No lobster in a long time. It was on the La Bistro menu.

Just off the Dawn yesterday and lobster is gone from LeBistro. The recipe is now done with shrimp and costs the same. LeBistro used to be our favorite resturant but no longer.

I saw it on the menu and didn't give the details. Thank you for clarifying.

No lobster in a long time. It was on the La Bistro menu.

Just off the Dawn yesterday and lobster is gone from LeBistro. The recipe is now done with shrimp and costs the same. LeBistro used to be our favorite resturant but no longer.

That's a shame for the lobster lovers. It's a plus for me because I'm allergic to lobster. Le Bistro has always been a favorite.

That's a shame for the lobster lovers. It's a plus for me because I'm allergic to lobster. Le Bistro has always been a favorite.

It was for us too but they changed the venue to the former LaCucina space and it's less intimate then before. This is just one couples opinion.