Cabin options for a family of 6 - Star, June 2017?

cruisingattitude

Hello. I am thinking about cruising on NCL Star in June 2017 for a 7-night Croatia / Greece out of Venice.

We are a party of six--two seniors, two adults, and two children (10 and 7)-- and initially thought about reserving one balcony for my parents and a family inside cabin (I1) for four of us.

As I searched options, however, I learned that two regular inside cabins aren't much more expensive than a single family inside cabin.

Do you think one balcony and two inside cabins are best for our situation? If so, in what deck and in what locations do you suggest we get cabins?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I agree that a suite would be nice and we have found that with three people it is cheaper or at least a push with getting a balcony and an inside.

If you really wanted some extra space there are mini suites that adjoin the SC two bedroom suites - that would give you extra privacy for the elders in the mini, the two kids would have their own bedroom and bathroom and you would have a wonderful bedroom for the two of you.

We found out that an SF suite with three people was a push with a balcony and an inside with the single supplement.

This time the same trio of us are going to try and SC suite so the third person has their own bedroom.

Family insides end up being wall to wall beds when set up for 4 people.

Look at the suite cabins as the $$ might work out better between the 6 of you as from 3rd passengers are free

Thanks for your suggestion. I just the price of SJ and SC, but I am getting $599.00 per person plus tax for the 3rd and subsequent passengers. Am I doin this wrong? I am checking this price through a live link that I got from a travel agent through *************.

It appears that the "Kids sail free" promotion is not valid for that cruise right now. Therefore the pricing of 599 for persons 3-6 is correct and the average price per person is around 1300 for a Family Suite and more for the SC

I forgot about the Family suites on the Dawn class ships. They sleep 6 through combinations of a full time bed, a murphy bed that comes out of the wall, and a sofa that makes into a bed. Most of these suites do not have balconies, but offer floor to ceiling windows (they used to be part of the old Spinnaker lounge). The only downside to them is only one bathroom - even though it appears to be a large one.

The SC would have the kids on the sofa bed, the elders in either the master or second bedroom and give you two bathrooms.

We have been in the 2 BR SC with 4 and it was great. This Oct. we are doing it again with 6. When I booked they had the friends & family sail free so it was a win for us.

Even though you pay tax & port fees plus a little higher auto tip for this cabin. Also remember you have others not part of the auto tip if you book a suite which is all costs to figure in the budget.

Look at the suite cabins as the $$ might work out better between the 6 of you as from 3rd passengers are free
Only 3rd and 4th passengers, if the cruise becomes eligible for Free Extra Guests. They will still pay the normal fare (currently $599) for passengers 5 and 6.

We are booked for a SC 2 Bedroom Suite on the Jade this November - were originally going to be on the Star in a Family Suite. Have traveled the 2 bedroom on the Gem. Our group is 2 adults and 4 kids age 15-7.

I would not do an SC (2 bedroom suite) in your case. It's a recipe for disaster with you and your spouse sleeping on either a fold out bed or a small inside bed while the elders have the master. I would not be comfortable sleeping in that situation - i know I would be grumpy from uncomfortable sleep. Also there's no way I'd put an older couple anywhere other than the master.

If you can swing it I'd do a family suite (or another suite - family suites may not attach to a mini I'd look at the floor plan) with a mini suite attached - it would give you the benefits of the suite with the littles + give you access to a balcony.

IF you do stay with insides and don't have big issues with possible motion, go with the insides on 12. They are newer being added a few years ago and most, if not all, have two bunks on the wall for pax 3 and 4 vs. all the other insides have only one bunk on the wall with the bed for 4 on the floor that pops up to make one big bed on the floor.

Two bedroom family suite is a great option. Last cruise we had my inlaws in master and my husband took the pull out couch and was soooo happy! he could be up first in the AM and sit on the balcony. I love the tiny room with the kids. I find the bed very comfortable....it is a bit crowded as closet is small but the living room makes up for it. We are doing this same arrangement next June on the Jade.

Once we had family along in the 2 bedroom on haven....due to someone snoring I ended up on the floor in living room.... it was fine!! I was on a cruise in the haven.

I would not do the suites in front...it does not have enough privacy.....and no balcony.

Edited by nadeki