Has Anyone Here Have A Bad Experience With A Cunard Captain?

Cruise Liner Fan

I found this on another Cunard Messageboard. This woman wrote that she and her husband are big Cunard fans and sailed with Cunard many times. She and her husband were aboard Queen Victoria on July 16th and they attended the Captain's Cocktail Party. Later they left the Queen's Room and then encountered the Captain. Her husband held out his hand and said "Pleased to meet you" and the Captain replied "I don't shake hands on the first occasion". The woman wrote that her husband was so embarrassed by the Captain's response and they both felt that the Captain was ignorant and rude and that the Captain's behavior is not a good way to treat loyal passengers. I do understand that the Captain may not want to shake hands because of the norovirus and there were other people on this messageboard who answered that norovirus was probably the reason why the Captain did not want to shake hands. But I think that the Captain should have politely tell this husband and wife please no hand shaking because of the norovirus threat. The Cunard Captain in question is Commodore Christopher Rynd. Anyone here ever have a bad experience with a Captain? Regards,Jerry

I found this on another Cunard Messageboard. This woman wrote that she and her husband are big Cunard fans and sailed with Cunard many times. She and her husband were aboard Queen Victoria on July 16th and they attended the Captain's Cocktail Party. Later they left the Queen's Room and then encountered the Captain. Her husband held out his hand and said "Pleased to meet you" and the Captain replied "I don't shake hands on the first occasion". The woman wrote that her husband was so embarrassed by the Captain's response and they both felt that the Captain was ignorant and rude and that the Captain's behavior is not a good way to treat loyal passengers. I do understand that the Captain may not want to shake hands because of the norovirus and there were other people on this messageboard who answered that norovirus was probably the reason why the Captain did not want to shake hands. But I think that the Captain should have politely tell this husband and wife please no hand shaking because of the norovirus threat. The Cunard Captain in question is Commodore Christopher Rynd. Anyone here ever have a bad experience with a Captain? Regards,Jerry

This episode does not sound like Commodore Rynd. We have sailed with him several times, have run into him on his rounds aboard ship, have been seated at his table and were surprised that he even remembered us at one of the book signings aboard. He is a consummate gentleman. There must be something more to this story as it is contrary to our impression of him.

This episode does not sound like Commodore Rynd. We have sailed with him several times, have run into him on his rounds aboard ship, have been seated at his table and were surprised that he even remembered us at one of the book signings aboard. He is a consummate gentleman. There must be something more to this story as it is contrary to our impression of him.
I have heard of other people saying that they had a great meeting with Commodore Rynd. One question I am thinking about is since Christopher Rynd is the Commodore of the Cunard Line shouldn't he be in command of the QM2 since the QM2 is the Flagship of the Cunard Line? Or that since he is the Commodore he has his choice of which Cunard Ship to be in command of and he prefers the Queen Victoria? Regards,Jerry

I have heard of other people saying that they had a great meeting with Commodore Rynd. One question I am thinking about is since Christopher Rynd is the Commodore of the Cunard Line shouldn't he be in command of the QM2 since the QM2 is the Flagship of the Cunard Line? Or that since he is the Commodore he has his choice of which Cunard Ship to be in command of and he prefers the Queen Victoria? Regards,Jerry

Christopher Wells is the captain of the QM2 and he very graciously signed my young son's model of the QM2 which he had bought with his own pocket money when we first booked our voyage, and then brought on board with him to show the captain. We were very touched and grateful for Captain Wells kindness to our son.

Christopher Wells is the captain of the QM2 and he very graciously signed my young son's model of the QM2 which he had bought with his own pocket money when we first booked our voyage, and then brought on board with him to show the captain. We were very touched and grateful for Captain Wells kindness to our son.

That was very nice of Captain Wells :) Regards,Jerry

Hi Jerry. I thought about your question, and no, I haven't had a bad experience with a Cunard captain. Some were very pleasant and entertaining, but more importantly all were quite skilled and professional. So three cheers for the captain- she is a brave woman, and he is a brave man that takes the helm.

Salacia

I found this on another Cunard Messageboard. This woman wrote that she and her husband are big Cunard fans and sailed with Cunard many times. She and her husband were aboard Queen Victoria on July 16th and they attended the Captain's Cocktail Party. Later they left the Queen's Room and then encountered the Captain.

Interesting....

I happen to know that Commodore Rynd wasn't onboard on the 16 July....

perhaps shes thinking of another captain....on another ship, on another line...in some parallel universe?

About a year ago there was a venomous attack against the Commodore by a poster on this board that sounded similar and was equally debunked. Perhaps they are trying their campaign still.

Edited by roscoe39

Interesting.... I happen to know that Commodore Rynd wasn't onboard on the 16 July.... perhaps shes thinking of another captain....on another ship, on another line...in some parallel universe?
Thank you roscoe39 :)

I was writing something roughly similar, but then I saw your post... which put things far better than my feeble attempt.

Well said.

Thank you.

Edited by pepperrn

Interesting....

I happen to know that Commodore Rynd wasn't onboard on the 16 July....

perhaps shes thinking of another captain....on another ship, on another line...in some parallel universe?

About a year ago there was a venomous attack against the Commodore by a poster on this board that sounded similar and was equally debunked. Perhaps they are trying their campaign still.

Very bizarre. I don't understand such vicious behavior. Why not just post a negative review?

Very bizarre. I don't understand such vicious behavior. Why not just post a negative review?

lol...they usually do and you sit there screaming at the screen saying "I just know you're making that up!!!!" Cant wait for the day when we can post comments on reviews....lol

Was he on board on July 30th?

Something seems to have been lost in translation in the copying from the other message board.

Just to be sure I went back to the other Cunard messageboard to check the date and I did notice that the woman wrote the date as 30 July 16 so I do admit my mistake on the date. I wish that this woman would have wrote it as July 30,2016 instead to advoid any misunderstanding that people who read her post might read it as. Regards,Jerry

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

Can't we leave this kind of discussion to "another Cunard message board"? The incident is now being reported 2nd or 3rd hand and we discover the original message as copied here contained misinformation.

The captain in question has no ability to reply here and frankly l think it is a situation where the complainant should take up their grievance privately with the captain or with Cunard's head office and not fuel the issue by shaming him on public message board(s).

In my opinion it doesn't reflect well on us here to magnify such an issue and it should be left on the other board to be sorted out if necessary.

M-AR