Anthem: not reserving

Hello everyone. This will be my second cruise with RCCL. First was on the allure March 2016. My anthem cruise will be February of 2017. I'm seeing all the warnings of reservations (even ones you don't want, just make them!) For everything. At this time, my cruise planner isn't allowing for any complimentary dining, or show, or activity reservations. I know I'll have to keep checking back. My question is, if I tend to be an early eater, 6pm or so, and don't mind standing in line for 10-15 minutes, do I need to make dinner reservations? On the allure it was also strongly recommended to make reservations. But my party of 4 never did and we spent no longer than 10 minutes (on formal nights) waiting for a table. I've read about 20 anthem reviews at this point trying to find the consequence of not reserving. Can anyone provide any first hand experience of having to wait in line, or how long they were or the wait times? Much appreciated, and happy cruising, everyone!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reservations will open 60 to 90 days out. Join your roll call and many eyes will be checking for you and post when reservations open.

MAKE RESERVATIONS!!!! There will be no line, or one that goes quite fast. People who have no reservations are the ones that will have a line. After people with reservations are seated, and they will keep coming... the no reservations line will be seated or told to come back later or eat elsewhere.

This is a no brainer! Have a great cruise :)

Hello everyone. This will be my second cruise with RCCL. First was on the allure March 2016. My anthem cruise will be February of 2017. I'm seeing all the warnings of reservations (even ones you don't want, just make them!) For everything. At this time, my cruise planner isn't allowing for any complimentary dining, or show, or activity reservations. I know I'll have to keep checking back. My question is, if I tend to be an early eater, 6pm or so, and don't mind standing in line for 10-15 minutes, do I need to make dinner reservations? On the allure it was also strongly recommended to make reservations. But my party of 4 never did and we spent no longer than 10 minutes (on formal nights) waiting for a table. I've read about 20 anthem reviews at this point trying to find the consequence of not reserving. Can anyone provide any first hand experience of having to wait in line, or how long they were or the wait times? Much appreciated, and happy cruising, everyone!

Hi there and welcome to Cruise Critic. Reservations for dining on Anthem usually opens up about 90 days prior to departure but that is not always the case. When we did our cruise on Anthem the entire month of April this year, I was able to book all our dining 12 months in advance. However, others on our roll call could not.

My suggestion to you is to keep checking daily. We had a 5:45 reservation through out our cruise and there was no wait for those who did not have reservations. I think you should be fine. Just an FYI, but there are no "formal" nights on Anthem. The only complimentary restaurant that requires formal wear is The Grande and that requirement is relaxed on Night 1 and the night prior to debarkation.

Once on board, you will be able to download and use the Royal IQ app which is only set up for Quantum class. Using the app will allow you to make reservations and cancel reservations for both dining and entertainment at your leisure. Enjoy your cruise........Anthem is truly a very special Lady.

GO BUCKS!!!!

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks for your informative reply, cruisenfever. If I do make reservations for the my time choice dining, will that automatically rotate me throughout the 4 main dining rooms, like with classic? If I make no reservations, in theory could I go to the grande every night and dress up every night?

Reservations will open 60 to 90 days out. Join your roll call and many eyes will be checking for you and post when reservations open.

MAKE RESERVATIONS!!!! There will be no line, or one that goes quite fast. People who have no reservations are the ones that will have a line. After people with reservations are seated, and they will keep coming... the no reservations line will be seated or told to come back later or eat elsewhere.

This is a no brainer! Have a great cruise :)

Thanks for your reply, ocean dancer. Have you been on the quantum class? When you went to dinner for your reservation, what time was it? Early, late, somewhere in the middle? How long were the lines of "no reservationers" that you saw as you were heading into the restaurants?

Edited by CleverFirst

We booked a month out so the only dining we could get was 9:30. We were not happy but I did book it. We went to the early show and showed up at dinner....you choose your dining place, and yes you may eat in Grande every night, we showed up for dinner at 8 after the show. We never booked Silk.

We were seated right away, they never batted an eye. Those without reservations were waiting in a line, sometimes 50 couples deep, some a bit less. Many were turned away and told to eat in the Windjammer.

Just make reservations.

We booked a month out so the only dining we could get was 9:30. We were not happy but I did book it. We went to the early show and showed up at dinner....you choose your dining place, and yes you may eat in Grande every night, we showed up for dinner at 8 after the show. We never booked Silk.

We were seated right away, they never batted an eye. Those without reservations were waiting in a line, sometimes 50 couples deep, some a bit less. Many were turned away and told to eat in the Windjammer.

Just make reservations.

50 couples deep line is too much for even laid back me to deal with, lol. Thanks for the info. I will definitely be booking reservations. Did you attempt to switch the location of the reservations while on board? ( for example booking the grande for 8, then deciding you'd rather not dress up that day, and switching to chic at 8 instead?) Is this available through the app once on board? Or just changing times?

Thanks for your informative reply, cruisenfever. If I do make reservations for the my time choice dining, will that automatically rotate me throughout the 4 main dining rooms, like with classic? If I make no reservations, in theory could I go to the grande every night and dress up every night?

When selecting Dynamic Dining Choice, you have the freedom to chose the restaurant and dining times that you want. You might find that you like one dining venue more than the others so you have the choice to eat at that particular restaurant as many times as you wish.....like you suggested with The Grande.

With Dynamic Dining Classic you will get your rotation of restaurants in your cabin on Day 1. You must follow this rotation. First seating is 5:30-6 (they give you 30 minutes leeway to arrive).

50 couples deep line is too much for even laid back me to deal with, lol. Thanks for the info. I will definitely be booking reservations. Did you attempt to switch the location of the reservations while on board? ( for example booking the grande for 8, then deciding you'd rather not dress up that day, and switching to chic at 8 instead?) Is this available through the app once on board? Or just changing times?

Yes, you can change any reservation through the Royal IQ app. We did this many times and had no problem.

Edited by cruisenfever

Just make reservations.

Ocean Dancer: So what you are saying is that even though your reservations were for 9:30...you showed up at 8 pm every night and they sat you right away. "They never batted an eye" that you were arriving 1 1/2 hours early? Meanwhile people with no reservations at all were turned away or had to wait a very long time?

So what your post is saying is that it doesn't matter what time you reservation is...as long as you have one you'll be seated right away.

That doesn't make sense....

HLR

Ocean Dancer: So what you are saying is that even though your reservations were for 9:30...you showed up at 8 pm every night and they sat you right away. "They never batted an eye" that you were arriving 1 1/2 hours early? Meanwhile people with no reservations at all were turned away or had to wait a very long time?

So what your post is saying is that it doesn't matter what time you reservation is...as long as you have one you'll be seated right away.

HLR

There are those people that make reservations, never show up and don't cancel their reservation. Experienced that during our 35 days on board. We did DD Choice but were seated many times in the DD Classic section because people didn't show up.

Edited by cruisenfever

I am on the Anthem right now. While we did make some reservations in advance, we have made reservations and inquired about times for several of the restaurants while on board. All of the venues had times available at 5:45pm...FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by lor74

There are those people that make reservations, never show up and don't cancel their reservation. Experienced that during our 35 days on board. We did DD Choice but were seated many times in the DD Classic section because people didn't show up.

Thanks...but that doesn't answer what I was asking.

HLR

HLR

Yes, that was our experience, we were a party of three.

On the allure it was also strongly recommended to make reservations. But my party of 4 never did and we spent no longer than 10 minutes (on formal nights) waiting for a table.

Unlike the rest of the ships in the fleet, Quantum class ships were never designed to accommodate everyone in just two seatings. So, chances are much better on other ships, like Allure in your example, to get a table without a reservation. Having said, if you do go early (before 6) on Anthem without a reservation, your chances will be pretty good to get something. The popularity of the "free" venues is not the same, so while you might not get a table at say Grande (popular), don't go directly to WJ thinking they all will be like that - try the other venues also.:cool:

Some things with DD don't.

Well this should be very interesting!

All the Specialty restaurants are open for reservation but not the Complimentary. I called RCL and the operator said they should open up 90 days before which is about another 10 days.

I have this Specialty Restaurant Voucher, but I don't know what the rules and restrictions are yet. Do you think I should make a reservation at Jamie's so I am sure to get one and then if I can't use the voucher there, I can cancel it without penalty? Guess I'll call about that too!

HLR

You can only use the voucher on board - any specialty you reserve now has to be paid now. You should have no problem getting a reservation on board.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

You caught me just in time to ask a question to an operator who wouldn't have know the answer anyway! Haha!

Now what about: Are there showers in the gym locker rooms that are free? [i know steam and sauna are not]

THANKS!

HLR

When I first heard of DD we were skeptical but sailed on the Quantum and enjoyed DD but the couple we were with did not enjoy it as much. What I did miss was the interactions we would get by sitting at the same table with the same people every night. That is how we have managed to meet so many wonderful people on our cruises.

We also sailed on Anthem with a different couple and all four of us enjoyed DD and we are planning to be back on her in '17. We are disappointed that we will not get DD again but we are not cancelling. We will go with the flow, and hopefully meet new friends at our table at that time.

For us, the cruise in total is what we enjoy along with meeting people and sharing good times. DD, MTD, MDR, whatever it is, is fine with us.

Each person has their own expectations and feelings on what makes their cruise special. No one person is wrong or right. It is their opinion. Whenever there is a change, there will always be some that like it and some that will not. For us, we will always go with the flow and adapt since it is the cruise experience as a whole that we love.

You are right. As of last night they stopped taking reservations. Just yesterday I made all dinning reservations for January and April. They have changed the dinning options. I was able to book Coastal Kitchen (suite guest) and the Bistro. I have been trying since this morning and keep getting the "sorry" message.