Travelling 11/11 with 10 month old and 3 year old

Lyn1Lyn

Posted this on the families cruising board, but it's a bit slow over there.

I will be travelling with all of our children on Carnival Sunshine in Nov., but the two I am most concerned about are our 10 month old and 3 year old. Our 3 year old sleep in a regular twin bed at home. I am making the assumpton that she will be ok in whatever bed we put her in on the cruise. Should I be concerned about her falling out of the bed?

As far as the 10 month old, he is okay with sleeping in a pack n play when we travel. Do we bring our own, or request something provided by the cruise. If I am requesting something, how do I do it?

PS... they will be sharing the room with my husband and I, our other kids will have the room next to us. Both are balconies.

If the 3 berth is the couch your 3 year old should be fine. You can always roll a blanket and place it under the bottom sheet for extra protection. Request a pack n play or crib now. There are a limited number on each ship. By requesting early you have some assurance that you will have one available. This will certainly decrease the carry on items. You may request the crib by contacting your TA or PVP. If you booked online yourself you can call the 1-800# and make the request. If it were me I would call back in about a week to make sure the request was noted.

Does your 3 year old have a bed rail at home? I know they make inflatable ones or you could do what springs suggested which actually sounds sturdier.

We are taking our 15 month old and we called the 1800 number and requested a crib (or pack n play). We ended up getting an up sell to a different room so I called again just to make sure it was still noted and it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have cruised with our kids and it's fine. The first time our oldest daughter was 2 and it was carnival and we got a roll away crib. Requested it before but wasn't in cabin upon arrival so mentioned it to our steward. It was not there after muster drill which was a shame as she was napping so put her on the big bed but it was there after dinner. They use a regular bed sheet so gets kind of bunched up- you may want to bring a crib sheet. We cruised again and oldest was 3 and slept great in sofa/ bed. Her sister was 14 mos and we pushed the pack and play next to bed to create a barrier and worked great. That was on X so it was a pack play which meant I could fold it up during day. Which worked well cause I brought the umbrella stroller. That worked great, got one that held up to 50 lbs so could alternate kids when tired. Our upcoming cruise they will be 6 and 3 so no worries about bedding but working on potty training! If you have a balcony strongly recommend a blow up tub for the little one to bathe and play in!!

You are braver than we are. We have 1.5 and 3.5 yr old boys and they are staying at home with the grandparents. My wife is VERY strict with the boys bed times and as a result they become monsters if they are up late. Thus we would be stuck in the cabin very early at night.

You are braver than we are. We have 1.5 and 3.5 yr old boys and they are staying at home with the grandparents. My wife is VERY strict with the boys bed times and as a result they become monsters if they are up late. Thus we would be stuck in the cabin very early at night.

I totally understand that!!

But for us, we could never think of leaving any of our littles home if the other children were coming. It's an all or nothing kind of deal. They either all come or all stay home. ( I would be too worried if we left them home and took the others, especially because most of the time I can't just call home to check up)

We have traveled many, many places with all of them and they do just fine. This trip is basically for the children anyways. We want them to experience cruising.

My hubs and I will be going alone again in May/June '17.:D

I have enlisted the help of our sitter who will be going with us, so that we don't have to stay in the cabin at night, that will be her job.

Looking forward to cruisin' with the kiddos..

If the 3 berth is the couch your 3 year old should be fine. You can always roll a blanket and place it under the bottom sheet for extra protection. Request a pack n play or crib now. There are a limited number on each ship. By requesting early you have some assurance that you will have one available. This will certainly decrease the carry on items. You may request the crib by contacting your TA or PVP. If you booked online yourself you can call the 1-800# and make the request. If it were me I would call back in about a week to make sure the request was noted.

How do I find out the exact setup of the rooms? 2 uppers, 1 couch and 1 upper etc.?

All the deck plan said was, could sleep up to 4.

Edited by Lyn1Lyn

We have cruised with our kids and it's fine. The first time our oldest daughter was 2 and it was carnival and we got a roll away crib. Requested it before but wasn't in cabin upon arrival so mentioned it to our steward. It was not there after muster drill which was a shame as she was napping so put her on the big bed but it was there after dinner. They use a regular bed sheet so gets kind of bunched up- you may want to bring a crib sheet. We cruised again and oldest was 3 and slept great in sofa/ bed. Her sister was 14 mos and we pushed the pack and play next to bed to create a barrier and worked great. That was on X so it was a pack play which meant I could fold it up during day. Which worked well cause I brought the umbrella stroller. That worked great, got one that held up to 50 lbs so could alternate kids when tired. Our upcoming cruise they will be 6 and 3 so no worries about bedding but working on potty training! If you have a balcony strongly recommend a blow up tub for the little one to bathe and play in!!

Is there a way to know whether it will be a crib or a pack and play?

When you say roll away crib, do you mean the one that is similar in size to the pack and play? or bigger?

If it's bigger I would probably prefer to just bring my pack and play because it has a smaller footprint. Smaller is better.

Will def consider bringing the blow up tub.

Edited by Lyn1Lyn

I've been cruising with my kids since they were each infants. Yours will be fine. We are very seasoned family cruisers. My 10 year-old has been platinum with Carnival since age 6 and my son is almost there. The cruise line will provide a pack n play or portable metal crib, it depends on which ship. Both are sturdy and work well. I bring antibacterial wipes and wipe them down just in case they aren't cleaned well. The blow up bathtub is a life saver for bathing the baby. We have even brought it up on deck and placed it between the lounge chairs as a mini playpen with toys in it or with water as a baby pool (you can ask the bar for an empty beer bucket and fill it with pool water).They have highchairs on deck and in the dining rooms just ask a waiter for one. Bring the stroller for sure. It is great for napping the baby on deck or even for wheeling your gear around in port if you are carrying the baby. Go to the shows if you like, sit in the back and if baby or 3 yr old act up you can just leave quickly. My kids were always enamored with the music and costumes and loved the shows.Carnival offers babysitting after 10pm. They do have mommy and me activities for the baby during the day. Grab the small boxes of cereal and breakfast and keep handy as snacks. Bring formula, diapers, wipes, kids medicines etc. They don't sell them in the gift shop. You will have a great time! Enjoy