2 new carnival ships on 2020 2022

Jdfireman

Interesting, so what is the driver to make them LNG?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LNG has far fewer emissions than residual fuel, and in the US, it is considerably cheaper than either diesel or residual fuel, and requires no scrubber. As emission controls become more widespread around the world, LNG is looked at as an alternative fuel, but the infrastructure needs to be developed. The ports need a gas pipeline, a re-liquifaction plant with a terminal to load barges or small tankers, and then the barges and small tankers need to be built to fuel the ships. Since LNG requires 6 times the volume for the same energy as residual fuel, the ships will need to refuel more often, and will be limited to homeporting where the LNG bunkering infrastructure is present.

The bigger the better.

Not necessarily for everyone. I served on a Nimitz class carrier and routinely went to sea with 6500 souls onboard. I am not in a hurry to sail on another ship that carries that many people, even if there is beer onboard.

LNG has far fewer emissions than residual fuel, and in the US, it is considerably cheaper than either diesel or residual fuel, and requires no scrubber. As emission controls become more widespread around the world, LNG is looked at as an alternative fuel, but the infrastructure needs to be developed. The ports need a gas pipeline, a re-liquifaction plant with a terminal to load barges or small tankers, and then the barges and small tankers need to be built to fuel the ships. Since LNG requires 6 times the volume for the same energy as residual fuel, the ships will need to refuel more often, and will be limited to homeporting where the LNG bunkering infrastructure is present.

Which home ports already have the LNG bunkering infrastructure available? Might give us a clue as to where they will be going ;)

Which home ports already have the LNG bunkering infrastructure available? Might give us a clue as to where they will be going ;)

Currently, none. Tote, a container ship company, has LNG fueled ships bunkering in Jacksonville on their Puerto Rico run, but this is trucked in from Georgia, and uses a specialized pumping skid that belongs to Tote. They are also working with a company to build an LNG bunker barge for Seattle/Tacoma for their Alaskan ships, which they will convert to LNG.

There are only 2-3 ports in Europe that have LNG bunkering infrastructure, though they are ahead of the US on this, and more are coming online. But, LNG is much closer in price to fuel oil in Europe, and the main cost savings will be seen in the US.

Currently, none. Tote, a container ship company, has LNG fueled ships bunkering in Jacksonville on their Puerto Rico run, but this is trucked in from Georgia, and uses a specialized pumping skid that belongs to Tote. They are also working with a company to build an LNG bunker barge for Seattle/Tacoma for their Alaskan ships, which they will convert to LNG.

There are only 2-3 ports in Europe that have LNG bunkering infrastructure, though they are ahead of the US on this, and more are coming online. But, LNG is much closer in price to fuel oil in Europe, and the main cost savings will be seen in the US.

How safe is LNG? I think most of us have seen what's left after a natural gas pipeline explodes.

How safe is LNG? I think most of us have seen what's left after a natural gas pipeline explodes.

I would say it is as safe as any fuel on ships. LNG tankers have been carrying full loads of it for decades without incident, and using the boil-off as fuel for steam propulsion boilers.

Diesel engines have run on LNG and natural gas shoreside for decades as well, even home generators can run on gas.

Diesel ships will not use the tank boil-off (since there is no refrigeration system to keep cooling the LNG, it boils off) for fuel, there will be a "re-liquifaction" system onboard that will take the boil off and compress and cool it back to where it can be returned to the storage tanks.

The class societies and the IMO are very aware of the dangers of LNG, and have come up with many new regulations regarding its use as a marine fuel.

I would say it is as safe as any fuel on ships. LNG tankers have been carrying full loads of it for decades without incident, and using the boil-off as fuel for steam propulsion boilers.

Diesel engines have run on LNG and natural gas shoreside for decades as well, even home generators can run on gas.

Diesel ships will not use the tank boil-off (since there is no refrigeration system to keep cooling the LNG, it boils off) for fuel, there will be a "re-liquifaction" system onboard that will take the boil off and compress and cool it back to where it can be returned to the storage tanks.

The class societies and the IMO are very aware of the dangers of LNG, and have come up with many new regulations regarding its use as a marine fuel.

Thanks as always!

I really enjoy the larger mega ships. I just sailed the Allure a few months ago, and never once did I feel over crowded..but rather the opposite! due to it's size, the population was really spread out very nicely in the various areas of the ship. On sea days, there were even areas that there were hardly anyone there! I was pleasantly surprised. With a good design that provides a good "flow of traffic" in and out of varying types of areas and things to do/see, it really works out well. Believe it or not, Allure only has two elevator areas (one forward and one aft), but we never waited long for one, and always got on one...even with a mobility scooter.

Again, it's all in the design.

Princess's Regal Princess, another mega sized ship, enlarged their buffet area....it's enormous! It spans 3/4 of the ship..both sides, and with rows also going port to starboard. The selection was incredible, and it handles the crowd very well...with tons of seating.