Miami Pre-Cruise Hotel?

jargey3000

Hi. Never cruised from Miami before, so not aware of the "lay of the land" etc. Looking for hotel advice. 1 night (Sat. Dec. 3/16). Just looking for your basic, clean, no-fuss, no-muss, well-located, pre-cruise hotel, AT A DECENT PRICE :). Possibly one that has (free?) airport & port shuttles - OR is just a cheap-ish taxi fare away; & maybe free breakfast etc. What are the popular "go-to" places these days? (Also, any tips on which ones can be nailed down on Hotwire or Pricline?) Thanks all!

Flying into MIA or FLL? :confused: Budget? :confused: How many in your party? :confused: Travelling with kids? A little more info will help the suggestions to be closer to your target. Use Google Maps to get an understanding of the geography.

There is a sticky at the top of this board with recent winning bid info - www dot betterbidding dot come will also give you lots of bidding info. I would not look for anything less than 3 stars in Miami and use a map to figure out areas.

Downtown Miami is the closest area to the Port of Miami (POM). None of the hotels offer airport or port shuttles, but a taxi from MIA will run about $25+ and another $12 cab ride will get you to POM the next morning. Two hotels in the Mary Brickell area are very popular with cruisers (Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites), with lots of local dining/nightlife in the area. Other popular downtown hotels include Doubletree, Hyatt, Intercontinental, Holiday Inn POM, and various Marriott properties.

If you are arriving late and just want dinner and a room airport hotels can work; only a few of the budget places include both MIA airport and port shuttles - La Quinta East and Comfort Suites North. Better hotels in a better area near the airport are in the Blue Lagoon area - Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, and others. Taxi to POM from MIA airport hotels will cost you about $30

Miami Beach is a separate city from Miami and is the "Miami" you often see in the movies and TV shows. Great dining, nightlife, people watching, and lots of small, boutique hotels. Taxi from MIA to South Beach will run about $35+ and another $20 cab will get you to POM the next day.

Have a great cruise! :)

John gave you great ideas and info. You will probably need to add a bit to your budget. Personally if you have a portion of the day along with the evening to enjoy, I'd not stay out in the airport area. Stay if you can downtown, where you can enjoy the warm air, dinner and drink at an outdoor table with a view.

I see a 4 star in downtown on Hot Wire for just under $150. 80% favorable.

Priceline express also has the 4 star property for $150. Lines up to be the Hyatt. Very good price.

Edited by eandj

We are sailing in late January. We were also trying to keep the pre-cruise hotel costs low and looked at the Embassy Suites Airport for $224.10 + tax $29.13 = $253.23 per night. Since there is nothing around the ESA we looked at other Hilton Properties and decided on Doubletree Marriott at $303.00 per night including taxes. We know we will have to pay for the taxi and breakfast but I think for two seniors this is a better choice for us to stay near the port.

We are sailing in late January. We were also trying to keep the pre-cruise hotel costs low and looked at the Embassy Suites Airport for $224.10 + tax $29.13 = $253.23 per night. Since there is nothing around the ESA we looked at other Hilton Properties and decided on Doubletree Hilton at $303.00 per night including taxes. We know we will have to pay for the taxi and breakfast but I think for two seniors this is a better choice for us to stay near the port.

Whoops, we changed to the Hilton Doubletree Condos near the port.

John gave you great ideas and info. You will probably need to add a bit to your budget. Personally if you have a portion of the day along with the evening to enjoy, I'd not stay out in the airport area. Stay if you can downtown, where you can enjoy the warm air, dinner and drink at an outdoor table with a view.

I see a 4 star in downtown on Hot Wire for just under $150. 80% favorable.

Priceline express also has the 4 star property for $150. Lines up to be the Hyatt. Very good price.

Thanks for that eandj. Can you clarify the address of that Hyatt you mention? (sometimes there's more than 1?) And, would others recommend it? Thanks.

Thanks for that eandj. Can you clarify the address of that Hyatt you mention? (sometimes there's more than 1?) And, would others recommend it? Thanks.

Hyatt Regency on 2nd is the one that matches up to the express deal on priceline. The rate is FANTASTIC and the location gives you options.

Anyone have experience with the EB by the airport. Flight gets in late and leave the next morning for a cruise.

EB? :confused:

Did you mean ES for Embassy Suites? :confused: ES is okay for a one night stay and offers packages that include a shuttle to the port.

A better area near MIA is Blue Lagoon - Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn and others. Taxi to POM, if a shuttle is not included, will run about $27-30+tip

I feel your pain OP in just straight off booking something that seems reasonably priced and reasonably nice.

So for now (read a post recommending the Miami Brickell area) four of us for March 3rd before a cruise booked the Hampton Inn and Suites Miami - Brickell (heard it was a safe sort of hit young urban area ). A refundable rate for a double queen room is $233 plus tax. They have a roof top pool and Jacuzzi, are near a CVS and subway for cheap eats (we'll probably just opt for that), and have other what looks like higher priced trendy restaurants around. It also looks like walking distance to an open air shopping area with dining - entertainment places too called Shops at Mary Bickell Valley that the 20 somethings in our group (two of them) might enjoy walking over to, to check out. It takes 11 minutes to get from there to the cruise we are taking by car, so should be a relatively inexpensive uber or taxi ride. They include a breakfast too.

I wasn't happy with fairly high prices of airport hotels in the middle of nowhere by the Fort Lauderdale airport where we were flying and even higher prices for pre cruise airport / cruise port hotels that weren't in the middle of nowhere with prices over $300 to start. So next I thought, hey I'm not even cruising out of Fort Lauderdale and can take uber anywhere -- take a look at the beach. Reasonable well located little family motel places were all booked up and other stuff was high (Fort Lauderdale and Miami), so I said so much for the beach. So next I said, look at safe nice city areas and see what they run.

Anyway I am curious and will follow this post, as I have a fully refundable rate, so can do something else if that looks better.

Just booked the Royal Palm for tomorrow night for cruise leaving Monday. Location is in South Beach. Total price $140.00 for the night. Beach access, next to the Lowes , walking distance to ocean drive and lots of shops.Used priceline. Their price is $94.50 a night but the total price with fees is $140.00.

I booked a one-night pre cruise at the Hampton Inn Miami/Brickell Downtown for $292 including tax. Payment is not due until checkout at the hotel. After reading this thread, I'm considering a Priceline bid for a 4-star Miami downtown hotel for my March 2017 stay. Is it reasonable to get a $150 bid accepted at a 4-star Miami downtown hotel?

Edited by laedw

I booked a one-night pre cruise at the Hampton Inn Miami/Brickell Downtown for $292 including tax. Payment is not due until checkout at the hotel. After reading this thread, I'm considering a Priceline bid for a 4-star Miami downtown hotel for my March 2017 stay. Is it reasonable to get a $150 bid accepted at a 4-star Miami downtown hotel?

March is peak season compared to relatively low demand now, so you cannot compare prices without factoring in the dates.

www dot betterbidding dot com and the sticky on this board will give you info on winning bids. My experience is that you have a better chance closer to your date when a hotel is looking at excess room availability.

FWIW, I enjoy staying at the InterContinental downtown Miami in a Club Level room. It includes "High Tea" (I've never attended this) in the afternoon, snacks and adult beverages from 6-8 pm, and breakfast (more than a continental but less than a full breakfast with hot and cold foods). I just booked again via the hotel site and a double/double (prepaid) cost per night was $188 for the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I know a lot of people like the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell and, while it is a nice hotel, I didn't care for the location. I felt the restaurants within walkin distance of the hotel were too expensive and there's not much to do at the Mary Brickell Village. Add to that, it was more expensive than the InterContinental per night and only included breakfast (which did have a bigger selection).

FWIW, I enjoy staying at the InterContinental downtown Miami in a Club Level room. It includes "High Tea" (I've never attended this) in the afternoon, snacks and adult beverages from 6-8 pm, and breakfast (more than a continental but less than a full breakfast with hot and cold foods). I just booked again via the hotel site and a double/double (prepaid) cost per night was $188 for the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I know a lot of people like the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell and, while it is a nice hotel, I didn't care for the location. I felt the restaurants within walkin distance of the hotel were too expensive and there's not much to do at the Mary Brickell Village. Add to that, it was more expensive than the InterContinental per night and only included breakfast (which did have a bigger selection).

Intercontinental was $30.00 plus fees more than the Hampton inn. You must have gotten a really good price.

March is peak season compared to relatively low demand now, so you cannot compare prices without factoring in the dates.

www dot betterbidding dot com and the sticky on this board will give you info on winning bids. My experience is that you have a better chance closer to your date when a hotel is looking at excess room availability.

Thanks for the information!:)

I feel your pain OP in just straight off booking something that seems reasonably priced and reasonably nice.

So for now (read a post recommending the Miami Brickell area) four of us for March 3rd before a cruise booked the Hampton Inn and Suites Miami - Brickell (heard it was a safe sort of hit young urban area ). A refundable rate for a double queen room is $233 plus tax. They have a roof top pool and Jacuzzi, are near a CVS and subway for cheap eats (we'll probably just opt for that), and have other what looks like higher priced trendy restaurants around. It also looks like walking distance to an open air shopping area with dining - entertainment places too called Shops at Mary Bickell Valley that the 20 somethings in our group (two of them) might enjoy walking over to, to check out. It takes 11 minutes to get from there to the cruise we are taking by car, so should be a relatively inexpensive uber or taxi ride. They include a breakfast too.

I wasn't happy with fairly high prices of airport hotels in the middle of nowhere by the Fort Lauderdale airport where we were flying and even higher prices for pre cruise airport / cruise port hotels that weren't in the middle of nowhere with prices over $300 to start. So next I thought, hey I'm not even cruising out of Fort Lauderdale and can take uber anywhere -- take a look at the beach. Reasonable well located little family motel places were all booked up and other stuff was high (Fort Lauderdale and Miami), so I said so much for the beach. So next I said, look at safe nice city areas and see what they run.

Anyway I am curious and will follow this post, as I have a fully refundable rate, so can do something else if that looks better.

The Hampton Inn Brickell is a great hotel and the area is a great area.

You will have plenty of other options for a cheap meal besides Subway! I would go for a Publix sub over Subway any day of the week anyway! The first 3 are not a chain but all locally owned and have expanded. They area all within steps of your hotel. Vapiano is a short walk and on Brickell Ave.

http://coyo-taco.com/brickell/ (tacos)

http://www.myceviche.com (amazing ceviche & tacos etc)

http://www.zuukkitchen.com (owned by team behind my ceviche and 2 doors down)

https://us.vapiano.com/en/magazine/ (fresh pasta made daily)

We have great happy hours in the Brickell area as well. The 20 something year olds will love the area. My 26 year old loves it and hey, I'm 54 and love it!

I am currently booked at the Hampton Inn Miami Downtown/Brickell, today while double checking all of our reservations I noticed that the reservation I made on March 3, 2016 had a different price than the reservation I was looking at on the app on my phone, the original email from March 3, had the rate including taxes $70.00 cheaper. I called and was told the reason for the price difference was that I had modified the reservation, when I had not. The woman on the phone said she was reading my account and said that I switched from one night to two nights then back to one night on 3 different dates. I do not recall ever doing that, I did however log in and book the night before our flight on one of the dates in question. This woman was rude and when I asked her how to have my rate adjusted she said there was no way to do that. I then finally got another person on the line and they too said no way to adjust the rate. I am so angry with the customer service with Hampton Inn right now, we are loyal customers and rarely stray from the brand (they didn't care about that either). Any advice?

I did, I spoke to two different women with the same results, after I spoke to them I called the hotel directly and they told me the same thing. I am just so frustrated. I have the original email with the lower price but they said since I "modified" my reservation I now have to pay the rate of the room the day it was modified. UGH.