Shade on Zuiderdam

caggfamily

I'll be on the New Year's Caribbean sailing on the Zuiderdam and am wondering about shade on deck. Given that it's a holiday cruise, I expect more families than usual, which is fine, but I'm guessing the main pool will be crowded. Is there any shade available around the aft pool? If not, any suggestions, other than the cabanas, which were already booked :(

There isn't much shade back there. IIRC, there are a few tables under cover on one side, and the corresponding area on the other side has the seaview bar, so not a lot of seating there. Your best bet for shade (and quiet) is to find somewhere to sit on Promenade deck. But you won't be near a pool.

Some HAL ships have lower aft decks which are often shady with some loungers - try going out the back end of the lower ocean view cabin decks.

Not sure if they have them on the Zuiderdam but they did on the Rotterdam when we had an ocean view cabin - they were great places to get away and have a good outdoor view as well.

Update: sorry, just checked the Zuiderdam deck plan and looks like aft cabins on this ship now take up that rear shaded deck space. Look for it on some of the other HAL smaller ships if you try them sometime, because we found it a nice relaxing place - no crowds, no traffic. (Unless they also added aft cabins)

Edited by OlsSalt