Quantity of cigarettes allowed to take on baord?

Dampier

I'm presuming your cruise includes more than just Australian ports.

You'll not want to take cigs aboard at embarkation if that's an Aussie port, because of the high prices in Aus.

The cruise line is very unlikely to be concerned about the quantity of smokes you take on board at your ports of call, or to hold them until the end of the cruise - unlike alcohol, which of course competes with their own alcohol sales.

Your concern should be the quantity which you can take back duty-free into Aus., last time I was in Aus the limit was a paltry 50 cigarettes per adult.

So I'm guessing you should buy at your ports (or on-board, where they're also much cheaper than Aus) enough cigs to smoke during your cruise plus the duty-free allowance.

The person in champagne's post was either a 24-hours-per-day smoker :D, or was disembarking in a country with a high d/f allowance, or more likely was hoping not to be challenged by customs when disembarking in Aus.

Whether you do the same is entirely up to you, but you need to research how high the risk of being caught and how high the penalty.

On the matter of alcohol, unless the rules or fees have changed, Princess allow you to take on board one bottle of wine per adult (or is that two bottles per cabin?) to drink in your cabin, but they also allow you to take aboard more wine as long as you declare it when you board and pay (via your on-board account) a corkage fee of $15 per extra bottle - sorry, can't remember if that's USD or AUD). Carrying it aboard as hand luggage rather than checked luggage avoids complications.

Princess' cheapest wine is somewhere around $28 incl service.

A decent bottle of wine (and a wine that you know you like) in an Aussie bottle shop plus $15 corkage is a little cheaper, so you might want to consider taking aboard as much wine as you're likely to drink. You can take that wine to dinner etc, there's no service charge beyond that $15.

That concession for wine only, not other alcohol.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We no longer smoke but I did get a carton for a daughter-in-law that was about $25 a carton. (She has stopped smoking!)That is MUCH cheaper than buying them at home.

You can buy cigs as soon as you leave port and the shops open. And, I have never seen suitcases opened when you leave a ship- unless a dog smells drugs!

Edited by Bonnie J.

. And, I have never seen suitcases opened when you leave a ship- unless a dog smells drugs!

Hi Bonnie,

Dogs are also trained to sniff out tobacco, cash, humans, & pretty-well anything else.

I bought 20-odd cartons on a Baltic cruise & was pulled out of line at UK customs. That was no lucky strike (awful pun intended ;)), the dog would have been let loose on the checked baggage in the arrivals hall & customs would have been watching who collected that bag.

No problem, I'd bought duty-paid (but much much lower than UK duty) in Estonia, and the limit between EU countries is very much greater than for duty-free. My receipt from the tobacconist in Tallinn and the duty-paid sticker across the closure of each pack satisfied the customs officer.

Clearly the dog was very good at sniffing, but not so good at reading :D

Hi Bonnie,

Clearly the dog was very good at sniffing, but not so good at reading :D

it's because they are color blind and cant see the words very well heheheh

OP: people rarely bring ON cartons at all since it is usually lot cheaper to just buy on board in most cases.

Thanks everyone for your replies..we are boarding in Singapore for the Asian cruise and return to Singapore, I know Sgsin have zero allowance coming into Sgsin but not sure what their allowance is leaving Sgsin? Good to know we can buy on board though ..thank you