Military get togethers?

Bpos

Do Celebrity have a get together for ex (or serving Military personnel) on their cruises - I know that Princess do this but they also give a OBC as well which is not available on Celebrity.

Good way of meeting likeminded people and sometimes the "Cheap Charlie" champagne helps to ease the aches and pains of service to one's country

Edited by Bpos

Do Celebrity have a get together for ex (or serving Military personnel) on their cruises - I know that Princess do this but they also give a OBC as well which is not available on Celebrity.

Good way of meeting likeminded people and sometimes the "Cheap Charlie" champagne helps to ease the aches and pains of service to one's country

My dh attended one on our April Constellation transatlantic cruise. They met a total of three times. It was prearranged by another service member. The organizer said it was not an easy task to accomplish. They would not publish it in the daily schedule, and slow to make space. They did post it on the bulletin board in front of guest services. It is a bit of a pet peeve with my dh since they seem to cater to other groups on board.

Thank you for your service!

Marie

My dh attended one on our April Constellation transatlantic cruise. They met a total of three times. It was prearranged by another service member. The organizer said it was not an easy task to accomplish. They would not publish it in the daily schedule, and slow to make space. They did post it on the bulletin board in front of guest services. It is a bit of a pet peeve with my dh since they seem to cater to other groups on board.

I can understand them not wanting to put out a schedule for something military on the general daily schedule/newsletter. Particularly for certain active duty. We have an active duty member in our family who cannot, for security reasons, have it known what he is and where he is and to have it published publicly and then him show up and be there as military would be against his security. I know, it sounds complicated and it can be. Security for him and for his immediate family members is of utmost importance, and to the country. You never know if a high security person is on board. Likely they wouldn't attend such an event but again, you never know. Better safe than .... not safe. I don't think it has anything to do at all with preference/catering to a quilting group or a lifestyle group compared to military, I imagine it's all "just" security. I for one am grateful for it, honestly.

[quote name=FlorenceItaly;51008187)

I can understand them not wanting to put out a schedule for something military on the general daily schedule/newsletter. Particularly for certain active duty. We have an active duty member in our family who cannot' date=' for security reasons, have it known what he is and where he is and to have it published publicly and then him show up and be there as military would be against his security. I know, it sounds complicated and it can be. Security for him and for his immediate family members is of utmost importance, and to the country. You never know if a high security person is on board. Likely they wouldn't attend such an event but again, you never know..[/quote]

I seriously doubt that security is the reason that the cruise line would not arrange a military/veteran get-together. I am sure your family member would not attend if they are security conscious. More than likely it would take more planning than the activity staff would care to do. Nearly every Celebrity cruise I've been on has had a notice on the community bulletin board by guest services with info about a military/veterans get-together, usually on a sea day at one of the bars. I've gone a couple of times but rarely does anyone else show up.

Edited by CruisinNole

It almost seems partially dependent on the Cruise Director. We had one that the cruise director dropped in at the start--and was so surprised at the turnout that she got the Captain to drop in. (That was Sue Denning).

On other occassions, so few showed up that it was hardly worth it. And, at least one, it was scheduled at the same time as Elite Happy Hour (which won hands down).