Naples - town off port area

poe17

Can anyone tell me if I can get off in Naples an have a wander around the town near by, i don't want to do an excursion, I just wandered if it's a nice town, where you can have a walk around with he shops, later stop for a coffee or beer an watch the world go by, if anyone has been can you let me know 🙂

Yes, your ship will dock very much in an area where you can just walk off and walk around. You also have access to buses and a metro/subway to use if desired. You will be in a city when you walk off (not a town) -- compete with fast moving cars and a lot of people walking around. But you will find stores and restaurants within a few blocks of the ship. I would research a few things that you might want to go see. There's a great archaeologic museum, some great buildings, and public spaces.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Right across the street from the cruise port is Castel Nuovo, next to that is Teatro San Carlo (one of the most important opera houses in Europe), next to that is the old royal palace (you can visit the apartments) and across the street is the galleria. All of this is literally steps from the cruise port.

You can see the layout on this map: http://unicocampania.it/files/mappe/Napoli2016.pdf

The cruise port is in quadrant D6, the sites noted above are all in D5.

Exactly what I did in April. I was mostly interested in Baroque churches and eating pastry.

Here is the approximate walking route I took

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6950364

Since the churches only stay open until around 1pm, I wanted to see them first, starting with the Duomo. Had a great time wandering the Spacccanapoli and the street of the nativity makers.

The best churches were the Duomo and Gesu Nouvo, although Santa Chiara was charming in it's simplicity. The Santa Chiara Cloister and Museum were a nice break.

I made it a ways into the Spanish quarter, but the weather was turning bad and I wanted to get back to the ship before the thunderstorms. Headed back early, stopping at the Galleri Umberto.

Naples was my favorite port stop of the entire cruise. Most cruise tourists hurry to Pompei or Sorrento and miss this wonderful city.

How does one take the Metro in Naples to the archeological museum?

It's easy. Cross the street in front of the cruise port to Piazza Municipio and enter the metro at the new stop there.

Get on the metro, line 1 (the only one currently operating from this station) direction Piscinola for three stops to Museo.

http://www.anm.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=98