Key West to Everglades before cruise

arlodog

We are flying into FLL and doing the drive to Key West for a couple of days next week before coming back to sail out of Miami.

My DH has never seen the Everglades and I would like to make a stop for an airboat ride before we go on the cruise. Any suggestions on an easy stop and good airboat ride to get a taste of the Everglades? We will leave Key West in the morning and so will probably be afternoon before we can get to the Everglades. I know that is not the best time for viewing, but it is what we have!

Thanks for the help!

Karen

Check out http://www.sunny.org for airboat rides near Fort Lauderdale.

A wonderful stop to/from Key West is the Everglades National Park (the airboat rides are not in the National Park area) - https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm - if your visit is in the dry (winter) season when the wildlife concentrates at watering holes (and there are no mosquitoes). The entrance to the park is 15 minutes off the highway in Homestead and costs $10 per car. Stop at the Ernest Coe Visitors Center and then drive 1 mile to Royal Palm. There is a path where you have to skirt the alligators and a boardwalk plus ranger talks and guided walks. The bird watching is great too. Before or after your park visit stop at Robert Is Here (you'll pass right by it), a large fruit and farm stand for the best shakes (key lime is my favorite) in Florida https://robertishere.com/.

OP - I just saw that your trip is next week. I would avoid the Everglades in September due to the heat and mosquitoes. Hope the National Park info might be helpful to someone traveling in the winter. On an airboat ride heat and bugs might not be a problem since you are moving.

Edited by capriccio

We are flying into FLL and doing the drive to Key West for a couple of days next week before coming back to sail out of Miami.

My DH has never seen the Everglades and I would like to make a stop for an airboat ride before we go on the cruise. Any suggestions on an easy stop and good airboat ride to get a taste of the Everglades? We will leave Key West in the morning and so will probably be afternoon before we can get to the Everglades. I know that is not the best time for viewing, but it is what we have!

Thanks for the help!

Karen

You simply won't have time to drive from Key West to the Everglades, take a boat ride and then make it to the ship before it sails. Even driving from Key West on cruise day is risky. I know I wouldn't attempt it.

If your flight leaves late enough on the back end of the cruise take a post-cruise excursion and then they will drop you off at the airport.

Edited by Lido_Deck

You simply won't have time to drive from Key West to the Everglades, take a boat ride and then make it to the ship before it sails. Even driving from Key West on cruise day is risky. I know I wouldn't attempt it.

If your flight leaves late enough on the back end of the cruise take a post-cruise excursion and then they will drop you off at the airport.

This.

I would leave Key West the night before your cruise. That four hour trip has taken me eight, ten, and twelve on multiple occasions. Rain, accidents, key deer, anything can add hours on to the trip.

If you leave the day before you will have time for the Everglades.

Sorry--I wasn't clear. We are coming back to FLL on Saturday and the cruise doesn't leave until Sunday. We just have to drop the car off by 8:30pm. We have arranged for a shuttle to Miami the next morning.

We plan on leaving Key West in the morning on Saturday and don't have any other plans for Saturday. Is a stop for an air boat ride doable? Any suggestions?

Karen

Check out http://www.sunny.org for airboat rides near Fort Lauderdale.

A wonderful stop to/from Key West is the Everglades National Park (the airboat rides are not in the National Park area) - https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm - if your visit is in the dry (winter) season when the wildlife concentrates at watering holes (and there are no mosquitoes). The entrance to the park is 15 minutes off the highway in Homestead and costs $10 per car. Stop at the Ernest Coe Visitors Center and then drive 1 mile to Royal Palm. There is a path where you have to skirt the alligators and a boardwalk plus ranger talks and guided walks. The bird watching is great too. Before or after your park visit stop at Robert Is Here (you'll pass right by it), a large fruit and farm stand for the best shakes (key lime is my favorite) in Florida https://robertishere.com/.

OP - I just saw that your trip is next week. I would avoid the Everglades in September due to the heat and mosquitoes. Hope the National Park info might be helpful to someone traveling in the winter. On an airboat ride heat and bugs might not be a problem since you are moving.

What is considered the winter months in South Florida?

What is considered the winter months in South Florida?

December thru April for visits to the Everglades. That (especially January through Easter) is also the high season for tourists with the dryer, cooler (relatively) weather.

Thanks again to all who helped. Just wanted to report back for anyone else who may be thinking of making the same trip. We left Key West about 9am. We stopped a few times and also had lunch along the way. We ended up going to everglades holiday park for the air boat ride. We arrived around 2pm.

It was hot, but there is a shade cover and they allowed us to bring water so it was doable. Not bad at all while the boat was moving. Even though it was mid day we saw 3 gators. Worth it so my husband could see a bit of the Everglades! Sept would not be my first choice of times to go, but if it is your only option it is definately worth it. Only about a 30 minute drive from the FLL airport.

Thanks again for all the help. As someone posted before, traffic going out on 1 today was light from the keys and it still took us 5 hours+ don't try and make the drive on the day you leave on a cruise! Traffic going in was crazy busy. I can see why it can take the better part of a day to make the drive.

Thanks again!

Thanks again to all who helped. Just wanted to report back for anyone else who may be thinking of making the same trip. We left Key West about 9am. We stopped a few times and also had lunch along the way. We ended up going to everglades holiday park for the air boat ride. We arrived around 2pm.

It was hot, but there is a shade cover and they allowed us to bring water so it was doable. Not bad at all while the boat was moving. Even though it was mid day we saw 3 gators. Worth it so my husband could see a bit of the Everglades! Sept would not be my first choice of times to go, but if it is your only option it is definately worth it. Only about a 30 minute drive from the FLL airport.

Thanks again for all the help. As someone posted before, traffic going out on 1 today was light from the keys and it still took us 5 hours+ don't try and make the drive on the day you leave on a cruise! Traffic going in was crazy busy. I can see why it can take the better part of a day to make the drive.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the report and enjoy your cruise!