Barcelona plan

Sarahbear666

Hi,

Advice please on planning a port day in Barcelona...

We are due in port 7am - 5pm (24th Sept 16) and I have 10.30am tickets booked for Sagrada Familia. I was initially thinking I'd buy HoHo bus tickets and we'd use the bus to get to sagrada familia and back again afterwards. I'm concerned though because the buses don't seem to start until 9am and seem to go quite a long way before getting close to Sagrada familia. Does anyone have any advice on how to ensure we get there on time but see the city on the way?

Are taxi's easy to come by at the port? Apparently there's a festival on that day so I'm concerned that it won't be easy or cheap.

What's walkable? We're fit and able and like to walk but is it unrealistic to think we could walk there?

Thanks for any pointers. The day is a little to short for my liking!

Indeed there's a festival, but Barcelona is a cosmopolitan city capable of handling several large events at the same time without major disruption to the overall life of the city. Obviously, in those areas/streets with events there'll be crowds and disruptions, but elsewhere life goes on as usual.

Whether taxis will be or not available at the port it depends on the concurrent number of cruisers mooring a the same time. Sometimes several cruisers arrive simultaneously and many thousands of passengers disembark all at the same time. There are a couple of days during the year that up to 9 of the biggest cruisers in the world all dock on the same day in Barcelona.

The taxi rank at the port works quite well and has plenty of taxis, but at times the demand is greater than the offer and you might have to wait a bit. You have a bus also, the T3, which links the Moll Adossat -which is where most big cruisers dock, albeit not all- with the bottom of Les Rambles, by the Columbus Statue. As far as I know, T3 bus is syncronized with the arrival of cruisers, therefore it should be working. Google for that. The rest of the city buses start the daily shift at 5am.

The pier is not that far from the bottom of Les Rambles, where you have many bus lines and a metro station to link with the rest of the city. In fact is barely a mile an a half.

If you're going to Sagrada Família, one of the many options is to take metro at Drassanes (L3 green) by the Columbus Statue, stop at Passeig de Gràcia (3 stops) and switch to L2 purple to Sagrada Família (3 further stops). In all it shouldn't take more than 30'-40', note though, the subterranean corridor at Passeig de Gràcia to switch lines is quite long so it'll depend how long it takes you to walk it :)

Map of the metro: http://www.mapametrobarcelona.net/mapas-metro/mapa-metro-barcelona-2016-01.jpg

Ah yes... this "odd" question is sometimes asked: safety. The public transportation network in Barcelona is comprised of 6 train lines, 12 metro lines, +120 bus lines, 6 tramway lines and +10000 taxis... and it's used by a majority of Barcelonians since it's the most efficient way to move about. I just saw some stats and 640 million journeys were made in 2014! I think this answers the question, right?

Edited by EnricM

If you take the Bus Turistic, you should have no trouble getting to SF by 10:30. You can make use of the time before 9:00. If you are off the ship early, you can walk up the Ramblas to Placa Catalunya (where you can get on the HOHO at 9am (even 9:45 would be fine)). Alternatively you can take a taxi (or walk) to the Gothic Quarter and explore there on your way to Placa Catalunya.

My two cents on that...

Bus Turístic is generally not considered to be an efficient manner to move about -other than for general sightseeing- for several reasons:

-Cost: a single ticket for this bus (valid for a whole day) is 28€ and you need a ticket for each person vs. a T-10 travelcard (10 journeys for 10€, valid until the end of Feb the following year) which is multiperson, that is, all your party can use the same travelcard (max 10 one way trips or 5 return trips) and can be used in metro/most buses/Montjuïc funicular/FCG trains and Rodalies trains within Zone 1 (=the whole city). It's normally purchased in any metro station, but also in some kiosks and tobacconists.

-Availability: theoretically the hoho is available every "5 to 25 minutes depending on the season", but some stops are often very busy and one might need to catch the next one. Worth considering!

-Route: in many circumstances, you're going to end up doing a longer route to get to wherever you go as hohos are not designed for efficient mobility, but for sightseeing.

Yet again... indeed it's "a" possibility of course.

Edited by EnricM

Thanks so much both of you for taking the time to give such brilliant answers! I'm not sure how brave I'm feeling to take public transport in a big city I don't know, but I did do it in New York and obviously have no problem in London so maybe I should just give it a go!

Thanks so much both of you for taking the time to give such brilliant answers! I'm not sure how brave I'm feeling to take public transport in a big city I don't know, but I did do it in New York and obviously have no problem in London so maybe I should just give it a go!

If you decide not to do public transport and like walking, a taxi to Sagrada Familia will get you there in easy time and cheaper than the Ho Ho. You could then walk back (if you enjoy walking) see some of Gaudi's buildings and head down las Ramblas to soak in some of the ambience (which will take you right to the Colon statue. There are taxis at the Sagrada.

Edited by kazu

If you decide not to do public transport and like walking, a taxi to Sagrada Familia will get you there in easy time and cheaper than the Ho Ho. You could then walk back (if you enjoy walking) see some of Gaudi's buildings and head down las Ramblas to soak in some of the ambience (which will take you right to the Colon statue. There are taxis at the Sagrada.

This would be my option, HoHo bus is not the best due to traffic and long routes.

We got a taxi from the port to SF, we joined another couple also going there (ask in the taxi line if you want to share), taxi with tip was E20 so E10 a couple. It's too far to walk although we have walked from Las Rambles back to the port some trips - over a huge bridge :eek:

We then walked around that area and made our way back to Las Rambles, it's pretty much a straight road back, you can stop at some Gaudi Houses or get the metro to the Parc Gaudi.

Barcelona and the metro are very easy to get around.

Don't miss the amazing market on Las Rambles and be extra extra extra wary of pickpockets there.

Just for clarity... there's no such thing as Park Gaudí nor Gaudí Houses...

-Park Güell is the name of the park

-Casa Batlló and Casa Milà (nicknamed La Pedrera) are two of the buildings designed by Gaudí that you'll find on that route, but along that same way there are plenty more that were designed by other equally famous Modernist architects --and are also open for visits--, such as Casa de Les Punxes, Palau del Baró de Quadras, Casa Lleó i Morera, Casa Comalat or Casa Ametller among other.

The closest to the name "Gaudí House" there is, is the Museu Casa Gaudí (Gaudí House-Museum) but it's not located on that route, but inside Park Güell, way off, to the north of Sagrada Família. This is one of the houses Gaudí lived in while designing the park. He also designed this house.

Also, in Les Rambles, close to the Columbus Statue, on a side street one can find the Palau Güell, also designed by Gaudí and commissioned by Count Eusebi Güell, a rich Catalan industrialist, to be his primary residence in the city.

Edited by EnricM

Just for clarity... there's no such thing as Park Gaudí nor Gaudí Houses...

-Park Güell is the name of the park

-Casa Batlló and Casa Milà (nicknamed La Pedrera) are two of the buildings designed by Gaudí that you'll find on that route, but along that same way there are plenty more that were designed by other equally famous Modernist architects --and are also open for visits--, such as Casa de Les Punxes, Palau del Baró de Quadras, Casa Lleó i Morera, Casa Comalat or Casa Ametller among other.

The closest to the name "Gaudí House" there is, is the Museu Casa Gaudí (Gaudí House-Museum) but it's not located on that route, but inside Park Güell, way off, to the north of Sagrada Família. This is one of the houses Gaudí lived in while designing the park. He also designed this house.

Also, in Les Rambles, close to the Columbus Statue, on a side street one can find the Palau Güell, also designed by Gaudí and commissioned by Count Eusebi Güell, a rich Catalan industrialist, to be his primary residence in the city.

LOL - I do know their names ;). When I said Gaudi's houses, I meant designed by him. They do indeed "belong" to his legacy. I think that was proper English, but I'll have to remember to add "designed" in future posts. ;)

I just find it simpler for newcomers to Barcelona to identify what you are talking about and it saves posting space ;)

I know, I know... :)) but it's better to provide accurate details otherwise it can be confusing for visitors searching for information.

Besides, some visitors are not aware that the 'divine trio' -as we humorously nickname them, that is: Sagrada Família, Casa Batlló and Casa Milà- are only three of the over +20 Modernist sites that can be visited, for those interested in architecture and art that is. Sometimes, choosing different sights one can see what this 19th-century art and architecture movement was all about in much less rowdy and busy sites.

I know, I know... :)) but it's better to provide accurate details otherwise it can be confusing for visitors searching for information.

Besides, some visitors are not aware that the 'divine trio' -as we humorously nickname them, that is: Sagrada Família, Casa Batlló and Casa Milà- are only three of the over +20 Modernist sites that can be visited, for those interested in architecture and art that is. Sometimes, choosing different sights one can see what this 19th-century art and architecture movement was all about in much less rowdy and busy sites.

Possibly - but any search on Gaudi or any travel info on Barcelona is bound to focus on the "divine trio".

I agree there are a number of other unique architectural sites to see. I think we have seen them all in our many visits and stays in Barcelona :). They are all so interesting but .......

For newcomers coming to Barcelona I really think the "divine trio" are must sees. Casa Battlo remains one of my favourite inventive buildings of all time.

Sagrada Familia has evolved so much over the years that we constantly return as it is ever changing.

Whatever people decide to do, (and you can't see everything in one day), Barcelona is a fabulous city and one of our favourite pre or post cruise ports :). So, we'll just agree to disagree ( a little bit) ;)

Smooth seas!

Edited by kazu

We had two days in Barcelona - our favorite city so far!- and we used Barcelona Day Tours and it was worth every penny! The first day they drove us around the city and took us to Park Guell, past the Sagrada, and some other highlights including a half day at Mont Sarrat - which was stunning and easily could have spent the whole day there! Our tour guide was a wealth of knowledge on Gaudi and it made it so much more interesting than anything I'd read online. The second day we did a Costa Brava tour, different tour guide but just as wonderful! They helped us book tour tickets for Sagrada and dropped us off there. Oh - forgot to mention the first day they picked us up (with a small group) from the port and took us to our hotel at the end of the day.

Please forgive me for hijacking your thread, but I have a question for those familiar with Barcelona. On our arrival day we are planning to take a taxi to our hotel from the airport to drop off our luggage, then take the Hoho bus around the city to get an overview of the city (and stay awake after an all night flight). The following day we have tickets for the Sagrada Familia for 9:00 AM. What is the best way to get from our hotel (Crowne Plaza near Plaza Espana) to Sagrada Familia that morning? After seeing the Sagrada Familia we are planning to take a taxi back to our hotel to pick up our luggage, then have the taxi take us to the ship. Does that sound like a doable plan or do you have a better suggestion. We can check in to the ship at 12:00, but don't have to be there until later as we sail at 7:00. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Well, taxi can be an option of course, but besides being the most expensive option, you need to take into account rush hour. It doesn't mean gridlock but it means dense traffic.

Being near Plaça Espanya, you have a better option: metro. Grab line 1 (red) to Universitat and there switch to line 2 (purple) to Sagrada Familia. In all, less than 30'. Easy peasy. Here you have the metro map.

Alternatively, bus #50 will also take you there. Buses have their dedicated lane so dense traffic don't affect them too much. Check its route here: https://maps.tmb.cat/en/vullanar click on the "Bus" tab and tick line 50.

If you're going to take one of these two options, get to the metro station in Plaça Espanya, head to the ATM and purchase a T-1 travelcard for 1 zone (~10€). This is how to do that. Now you can either take the metro or the bus and use this card. More info on how it works and its advantages here.

Edited by EnricM

Please forgive me for hijacking your thread, but I have a question for those familiar with Barcelona. On our arrival day we are planning to take a taxi to our hotel from the airport to drop off our luggage, then take the Hoho bus around the city to get an overview of the city (and stay awake after an all night flight). The following day we have tickets for the Sagrada Familia for 9:00 AM. What is the best way to get from our hotel (Crowne Plaza near Plaza Espana) to Sagrada Familia that morning? After seeing the Sagrada Familia we are planning to take a taxi back to our hotel to pick up our luggage, then have the taxi take us to the ship. Does that sound like a doable plan or do you have a better suggestion. We can check in to the ship at 12:00, but don't have to be there until later as we sail at 7:00. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Well, taxi can be an option of course, but besides being the most expensive option, you need to take into account rush hour. It doesn't mean gridlock but it means dense traffic.

Being near Plaça Espanya, you have a better option: metro. Grab line 1 (red) to Universitat and there switch to line 2 (purple) to Sagrada Familia. In all, less than 30'. Easy peasy. Here you have the metro map.

Alternatively, bus #50 will also take you there. Buses have their dedicated lane so dense traffic don't affect them too much. Check its route here: https://maps.tmb.cat/en/vullanar click on the "Bus" tab and tick line 50.

If you're going to take one of these two options, get to the metro station in Plaça Espanya, head to the ATM and purchase a T-1 travelcard for 1 zone (~10€). This is how to do that. Now you can either take the metro or the bus and use this card. More info on how it works and its advantages here.

Good advice :)

For your Barcelona plan,don't forget two things....

You won't know how you feel until you get there. Hopefully, you will be up to the Ho Ho on day one.

You can most likely make arrangements for your hotel to store your luggage and lock up your valuables in their safe at the front desk. That being the case, take your time - no need to rush to the ship and enjoy more of Barcelona ;)

If you are sailing at 7, your muster drill isn't probably until at least 4 pm :)

+20 is an understatement. :D One of the first things we did on arriving in Barcelona was to go to the Modernisme Museum and buy the guide book to the Ruta Modernisme. In our 5 days pre and 3 days post cruise we managed to go by more than 50 of the 130+ buildings on the Ruta. If you are interested in the architecture of the period, and not just Gaudi, I strongly recommend following the Ruta.

http://www.rutadelmodernisme.com/default.aspx?idioma=en

edit But probably not on a one day port stop :D

Edited by cc_rider

Yep... but from those only a fraction are visitable inside, the rest are private residences or offices and only the façade is available for those interested. That's why I said +20, off the top of my head, of course, I would have to actually list all of those visitable to give an exact figure, :D

At the end of the day I think it's not a matter of quantity but of quality... and visiting inside one discover absolute gems and can observe details that by only seeing the façade are not appreciated. Beyond the most popular, and crowded too, there are quite a few others -hardly visited by foreign visitors- that are really something such as Torre Bellesguard, Palau Baró de Quadras... I've mentioned them in other posts before.

One outstanding opportunity for those interested is the Cases Singulars Project, which allows to visit unique buildings in the city -not only Modernist houses but also classic buildings and medieval palaces normally closed to the general public.

Edited by EnricM

Public transportation in Barcelona is fairly straightforward. We're here now and have just been googling directions and choosing from the bus and/or subway options that are presented. The T-10 is a great way to get from Point A to Point B quickly and when you don't want to walk because you can use it with multiple people.

HOHO would be great for an overview of the city, but with my large group of 9, we weren't going to rely on it to get us from Point A to Point B.

Consider what you're priorities are and then go from there.

• 2 weeks later...