Liberty Mystery Dinner Theater

mherndonmom

I loggeded into my cruise planner for our January, 2017 Liberty cruise and saw this was an option. Has anyone done this and could give their opinion? For $65 each, I really want it to be good! We are travelling with our two older teen sons and 9 year old daughter and I thought we'd let this be our one adults-only night! Would appreciate any input!

Edited by mherndonmom

I loggeded into my cruise planner for our January, 2017 Liberty cruise and saw this was an option. Has anyone done this and could give their opinion? For $65 each, I really want it to be good! We are travelling with our two older teen sons and 9 year old daughter and I thought we'd let this be our one adults-only night! Would appreciate any input!

We will be doing it October 16th aboard Liberty. If you don't get any good feedback before then I'll be glad to help. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's over the top acting, with a very limited menu and house wine. It can be fun once. I thought it was overpriced when it was $45.

It's over the top acting, with a very limited menu and house wine. It can be fun once. I thought it was overpriced when it was $45.

Tend to agree we did it once good fun...however having done proper murder mystery nights/weekends/Orient Express it is fairly amateurish

I have done it twice, but not on Liberty. If you are thinking more Keystone Cops and less

"Rear Window" you won't be disappointed.

We thought it was fun and a different way to spend the evening. They absolutely do limit the attendance as there are a limited number of tables. The last time we did it on the Jewel, we had a GREAT waitress and that greatly enhanced the experience.

It is held in a specialty restaurant and you order from a limited menu. I thought the wine was included, but could be mistaken.

Would i do it again? Probably. Would kind of depend if there was something else going on that interested me.

I just did it on the Serenade and really enjoyed it. It was "hokey", but they limited the number of people, and we were all "into" it, so it was lots of fun. Serenade did it at the Italian specialty restaurant, and the food was superb. A bit of advice though -- your teens and 9-year-old would enjoy it too, maybe do something else for an "adults" night.:D

I just did it on the Serenade and really enjoyed it. It was "hokey", but they limited the number of people, and we were all "into" it, so it was lots of fun. Serenade did it at the Italian specialty restaurant, and the food was superb. A bit of advice though -- your teens and 9-year-old would enjoy it too, maybe do something else for an "adults" night.:D

Was the menu limited? i am sailing Seranade in November and have the option of this Mystery Dinner but for $65. wanted some control over what i choose to eat for dinner> Do you get choices or is it one choice only and is the wime included?? Thanks for any information.

Was the menu limited? i am sailing Seranade in November and have the option of this Mystery Dinner but for $65. wanted some control over what i choose to eat for dinner> Do you get choices or is it one choice only and is the wime included?? Thanks for any information.

Sample menu from Freedom:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39712848&postcount=7

House wine is included.

Edited by clarea

We did it about 5 yrs. ago with our grandson and his wife, had a blast. We did it this last spring, the very same story line word for word. It would have been fun if it was a different story, but not much fun when you know who the killer is ahead of time.

Rosadilla,

Glad you had fun at Mystery Night. Missed you at the table for the remainder of the cruise, but glad it worked out better for you ! Enjoy many more calm winds and smooth seas in your future adventures. E & D

Edited by Elaj

We did it on Serenade and you have a choice of a filet or shrimp. There was an antipasta, I believe a soup and Tiramasu for dessert. The wine flows, red or white, your choice.

It was a fun evening and the more involved your table is, the more fun. At the end you fill out a form and guess who the "murderer" is. They draw from those who are correct for a prize.

The acting is hokey but that's okay. The actors are from the production shows so they are not professional actors.

$65 does seem high so only you can evaluate if it is worth it.

Lame and expensive. The shrimp was not the huge shrimp typically served at Giovanni's. Not any better than free venues. Six little shrimp across a plate. DH got the steak and said it was the best he has had on RCCL in 5 years but not worth $65. I did not drink the red or white table wine and dh doesn't drink wine. When asked if they had Moscato they served it to me without upcharge. The best part of the event were the other passengers that attended. Fun seeing them all week. There weren't any kids at our Mystery Dinner. While it was catered to adults I don't think there was any adult content that would be offensive to children. I can't imagine they would enjoy this event staged as a high school reunion party. Didn't even come close to the great experience we enjoyed at Izumi Hibachi.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and our two boys (8,5) cruised on the Liberty in May and my oldest and I did this as we always do a "Mommy/Son" Date Night. He absolutely loved this Mystery Dinner as he was involved in the show via a couple of the actors which lead to people recognizing him around the ship for the rest of the cruise! If I were to do this as a date night, honestly, I would've rather enjoyed a private steak dinner and piano bar or karoke vs this with just my husband as it was pretty hokey, but that's just my opinion and has nothing to do with the acting of the entertainers. They were great and everyone seemed to have a great time! I guess I was just expecting more of a scavenger hunt type murder mystery vs just a show in the lounge followed by the conclusion in the restaurant. If you want to be involved just make sure you sit up front in the first lounge that way the actors see you and can get you involved, especially your husband!;). Have a great cruise and if it is any indication of what an amazing time we had, I am platinum on Carnival and last May was our first time taking the boys on Royal and we booked for this upcoming May on the same ship out of Galveston while on the cruise this last May because they loved it so much!!!! Have a great cruise and enjoy your adult only time!!!