Is Seven Mile Beach easy walking distance of the port?

TorontoTL

I'm going to be in GC in the next week or so and was thinking about spending some time at the Seven Mile Beach because I've heard that it is a nice beach. Does anyone know if it is walkable from where the tenders drop you off downtown. Also, has anyone done snorkelling there, is it good?

It is possible to walk to and from Seven Mile beach, but it can be a long walk in the hot sun while carrying your snorkel gear. We did it one year and probably won't try that again. There is now a public bus system that makes frequent trips to the west end of the island, and I think it is only $1.50pp each trip. We are planning to use that in December.

There are a number of good snorkeling spots off seven mile beach, but you have to swim out a couple hundred yards to get to them. Also, a unique spot to snorkel is to follow the island's water intake pipe out until you get to the end and watch all of the fish just hovering in front of the pipe to catch their daily meals as the water is sucked in. The island's water supply is desalinated sea water, just like on a cruise ship. Not to worry, the pipe's suction isn't that strong and there is a grate covering the entrance to the pipe to keep larger objects, like people, out.

Archived