Toddler in David's

Ktrumbies

Yes, children are allowed..No, I wouldn't take a toddler to David's.

I am having dinner there on my upcoming cruise to celebrate an anniversary and I would be upset if I had a bored toddler near me. A bored toddler equals unhappy toddler. Dinner there is long and frankly, its unfair to the kid to have to sit quietly for that long. And our reservation is early.

I wouldn't hesitate to speak up if the child was loud. A dinner at the steakhouse is a real treat for us..its not something I normally would do so I wouldn't want that special time to be ruined.

Now in the MDR, I love to see children there, having a great time.

Yes, children are allowed..No, I wouldn't take a toddler to David's.

I am having dinner there on my upcoming cruise to celebrate an anniversary and I would be upset if I had a bored toddler near me. A bored toddler equals unhappy toddler. Dinner there is long and frankly, its unfair to the kid to have to sit quietly for that long. And our reservation is early.

I wouldn't hesitate to speak up if the child was loud. A dinner at the steakhouse is a real treat for us..its not something I normally would do so I wouldn't want that special time to be ruined.

Now in the MDR, I love to see children there, having a great time.

Agree, agree, agree. Our next cruise is our honeymoon, and we would be seriously pissed off if our one night at the steakhouse was marred by some toddler being a toddler at the table next to us. I'm a mom myself... and never in a billion years would I have taken my son to someplace like that and expected him to sit nice and quiet for 2 hours. Have some common sense... It's a very nice dining experience that people pay extra for -- it's not Chuck E. Cheese.

Carnival seriously needs to just make the steakhouse 18+. If Disney, arguably THE most family-friendly line out there, can make Palo 18+ then it isn't going to kill Carnival to do the same.

Being a parent also doesn't mean that we have to be scorned everywhere we go, we paid for the cruise just like everyone else on board, and it's a carnival cruise not a Viking cruise, so I was just looking to see if people had taken a child before. I called the cruise line and they said they have a kids menu there and high chairs, and that children were welcome. Of course we would take our son out if he was going nuts. He is our 4 th kid so this is not our first rodeo. We've been on several cruises and on other cruises if the dining venue was for adults only, it normally was made very clear. This was not the case with David's, which is why I asked the question. The other cruises we've been on, have also had childcare for toddlers which carnival doesn't. Hopefully we will get some family members to join us, and they can help us out, if not will just see what his behavior is like. Hopefully we can get him to fall asleep in his stroller and just bring him in sleeping. Thanks for all the answers, and please don't be so mean to us parents we want to have a good time too.

I will take exception with your first sentence and say you are overreacting a bit....There are some idiots who will generalize with the mindset of "all kids are bad". That's the exception. The vast majority of diners are not looking to "scorn" parents with small children. I have been in numerous cruise line specialty restaurants and I have seem some really well behaved little children. I remember one time, there was a little guy, couldn't have been any older than 3-4 yrs old. Rocking out his little grey pinstriped suit, munching down on his big steak. The kid seemed to really enjoy it. Yes, I have been in a steakhouse where the parents brought the child in, and the little girl was a hellion on steroids from the word GO.....didn't last in the high chair for more than 30 seconds.....screaming MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE (yes it was the piercing high pitched shrill scream)....crying, screaming, throwing silverware......MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE....now, my feeling is it is NOT the childs fault. Those parents let that behavior go on for a good 20 minutes before someone yelled across the room "WOULD YOU PLEASE GET THAT KID OUT OF HERE". As that parent, what the HE** are you thinking??????? Some parents seem to have the mindset of "Well this is MY vacation and I will do what I want to do".

All that being said, I still would like the Steakhouse have an age limit (personal opinion only, and yes I have kids). I personally would not take my little kids into a nice restaurant with an expected sitting time of 2-2.5 hrs....MOST little kids (I didn't say ALL) aren't built to sit quietly for that length of time....I wish they would go to 18+ for the Steakhouse and 21+ for all bars (exception being some of the bars do serve food. In that case of course kids can eat at booths or tables, no one under 21 should be sitting "at the bar")

Edited by First and Ten

Being a parent also doesn't mean that we have to be scorned everywhere we go, we paid for the cruise just like everyone else on board, and it's a carnival cruise not a Viking cruise, so I was just looking to see if people had taken a child before. I called the cruise line and they said they have a kids menu there and high chairs, and that children were welcome. Of course we would take our son out if he was going nuts. He is our 4 th kid so this is not our first rodeo. We've been on several cruises and on other cruises if the dining venue was for adults only, it normally was made very clear. This was not the case with David's, which is why I asked the question. The other cruises we've been on, have also had childcare for toddlers which carnival doesn't. Hopefully we will get some family members to join us, and they can help us out, if not will just see what his behavior is like. Hopefully we can get him to fall asleep in his stroller and just bring him in sleeping. Thanks for all the answers, and please don't be so mean to us parents we want to have a good time too.

We aren't being mean. Nobody here said your child is a demon that will ruin everyone's time. And it doesn't matter if it is Carnival, Viking, Vegas, or anywhere else. Nobody deserves to have their meal ruined by an unbehaved child. You cannot deny there are parents like that. Parents that think their child is just being a kid and everyone else should stop being mean. By all means take your kid where you please (rules allowing). Just don't be that parent that tells your kid to be quiet every two minutes and then be bothered because your neighbors are annoyed. Comes with being a parent. Others shouldn't have to suffer because a parent wants to have a good time and not control their child.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

my parents and I (a pre-schooler) crossed the Atlantic Ocean on the Queen Elizabeth (I). A Cunard ship.

Mom and Dad went to formal dinner in the main dining room - and left me in the cabin every evening. He brought me a light supper, tucked me in and checked on me mid-way through the evening to be sure I went to sleep. Scary, eh?

Times have changed.

OP, we aren't being mean. Remember, dinner for 2 in the steakhouse is $70 and throw in a cocktail or two and additional tips....that is a lot of money to have a nice night marred by little children.

Just my opinion, but the steakhouse should have a minimum age - even 12 yrs old would be ok. No to toddlers, babies, and very young children.

my parents and I (a pre-schooler) crossed the Atlantic Ocean on the Queen Elizabeth (I). A Cunard ship.

Mom and Dad went to formal dinner in the main dining room - and left me in the cabin every evening. He brought me a light supper, tucked me in and checked on me mid-way through the evening to be sure I went to sleep. Scary, eh?

Times have changed.

:eek::eek::eek:

I would probably spend the entire cruise in the ship's onboard prison until we returned to homeport if I did that nowadays.

which I wouldn't...but you know, if I did.

Times have changed.

Times have changed Iowa....the idea of "children should to be seen and not heard" is very much in the past

sad

Edited by First and Ten

I have kids and they all learned how to go out and eat and behave from a very young age. But 2+ hours for a kid that's not even 2 is expecting too much IMO and it doesn't sound like he's use to long quiet dinners. I personally wouldn't have put one of mine through it at that age. I also wouldn't want to pay that much money to go out to eat and have a toddler being a toddler next to me.

Doesn't mean I don't like kids, doesn't mean I don't like your kid. It means when I pay that much money for a nice dinner, I want to experience a nice dinner in a different environment than I would get in the MDR. Otherwise I'd eat there for free.

I think really only you can decide that. I'm a mother of 2 & just knowing the vast differences in my own kids I'm going to set up camp with the other posters who've said if you truly think your child can handle it, go for it. But be prepared for the fair possibility that your evening is cut short should the child become fussy & need to be removed to spare your fellow diners.

Me personally? I probably wouldnt. My daughter has always been very well behaved in public. Even so I don't think she'd have been ready for the experience. By age 6 she'd probably wouldve been fine. She's 11 now & I would take her without even a moment's thought.

My son? Saying HELL TO THE NO is actually putting it delicately. At 2 I was embarrassed to bring him into Pizza Hut- forget a nice dining establishment! At 6 dinner in the MDR after an hour was saved by the bell because dessert came just as he was preparing for meltdown status. He's not nearly as mature as my daughter. He's 7 now & I wouldn't even think about taking him in on our October cruise.

All kids are different!

Edited by Drose716

I honestly think ages 10 and up for the Steakhouse. My almost 15 yo son is very mature. I'd hate to see him penalized by a 18+ rule. Now if you are a toddler and could meltdown in a 2.5 hour window of time then no you do not need to be in the steakhouse. I guess it depends upon the child.

OP - totally depends on the temperment of your child, which you will know better than anyone. Also, are you prepared to leave if your child acts up? If you feel confident you can handle the situation and recognize others deserve a peaceful meal, I say go for it, kids are welcome.

We travel in a large family group and have one simple rule...no toddlers, or infants, or pre-schoolers allowed. Those of us of the "older generation" know that a cruise is not designed for young children and the fact of the matter is that the child won't remember the experience anywhos...but those traveling with them will, and the experience isn't always pleasant.

The one time we relaxed our rule we allowed some of the younger kids to come with their parents, but those parents also paid the fare of a darling 16 year old "nanny" whose free cruise included the fact that she would be oncall for babysitting duties when the parents wanted some adult time. (and it wasn't like she was forced to watch the kids 24/7). And a good time was had by all and sisters who didn't get to see much of each other (they lived on opposite sides of the US) got to have some good family time with their little ones.

If parents want to travel with their young ums they need to also sacrifice for them and not try and take them along to functions that are geared for other adult passengers. I don't think you can have everything on a vacation where you are sharing space with a few thousand other people. You have to be willing to compromise, regardless if the children are "allowed" into certain venues.

And, as I am sure many others will testify, oftentimes parents become obtuse to the disturbances their little ones cause and go on about their business even when they are faced with a fussy or noisy child.

I think Carnival makes a mistake with the kids menu. I think if the did away with that, it would limit the number of small kids going to the Steakhouse

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'd actually support the idea of 12+ at their most expensive dining venues (Chefs Table, Steakhouse).

But it would also be nice if Carnival offered the pay by hour toddler childcare services earlier in the evening as well so people had an easier time making these choices.

My own kid is great for 60-75 minute meaks; so I wouldn't bring him to the steakhouse because it just wouldn't be fair to him to be strapped in to a highchair for two hours +

I called the cruise line and they said they have a kids menu there and high chairs, and that children were welcome. .

This is what matters. The cruise line allows it, it's your decision as to whether to bring him. Only you know if he is capable of sitting and behaving. Some small kids do well and some don't.

And really if others don't like it that's too bad. Yes you should remove your child if he becomes disruptive but it is also unreasonable for people to say you shouldn't bring a child into a restaurant that allows it. If it was adults only that is one thing but it's not so you do what you feel is best.

This is what matters. The cruise line allows it, it's your decision as to whether to bring him. Only you know if he is capable of sitting and behaving. Some small kids do well and some don't.

And really if others don't like it that's too bad. Yes you should remove your child if he becomes disruptive but it is also unreasonable for people to say you shouldn't bring a child into a restaurant that allows it. If it was adults only that is one thing but it's not so you do what you feel is best.

Nobody here has said they don't like kids and OP shouldn't do it The resounding opinion is do it, but don't be a mombie and think your child is a special snowflake and people will be okay if it gets fussy. Take the kid, but be quick to remove it if need be. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who have no problem mentioning to a parent their kid is being disruptive.

Best for whom: your child, yourselves, or the people you are sharing a ship with. I'll put myself at the head of the line when it comes to self-entitlement, at my age I've earned it, but that doesn't mean I leave my common sense at home on a shelf. People are paying upwards of a hundred bucks (with dinner and wine and a drink for two) and many of them do regard the steak houses as somewhere to enjoy some romantic or quiet time relaxing over a well done dinner. They, too, are paying for their cruise and the venue.

This is what the OP posted:

We have a toddler who will be 19 months when we sail in November. Can we take him to David's with us, or is this a really horrible thing to do? We would go early...
and the consensus seems to be that others would respect the OP if they didn't bring along a toddler. Asked and answered.

You can bring your child, however as others said, you know your child best.

The steakhouse is a long dining experience and I think it's unfair to yourselves and others if the toddler acts up, which is what they do.

If you do have remove the child, how is that an enjoyable experience for you?

Since it is a pay venue, you could have to walk out before completing the meal or one of you takes the child out and the other is eating alone.

I wouldn't even consider it, myself.

I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who have no problem mentioning to a parent their kid is being disruptive.

Hey, were you that guy on the Victory at the table next to us that kept reminding us you don't like kids and we better keep ours quiet (when ours never made a squeak). Like every 5 minutes throughout dinner...and we were at our own table and got there 20 minutes before you. Was that you? Maybe it was.

Hey, were you that guy on the Victory at the table next to us that kept reminding us you don't like kids and we better keep ours quiet (when ours never made a squeak). Like every 5 minutes throughout dinner...and we were at our own table and got there 20 minutes before you. Was that you? Maybe it was.

I've been on the Valor. Never the Victory. Kids are awesome. Don't know why anyone would feel the need to harass parents of children who aren't bothering anyone.

I've been on the Valor. Never the Victory. Kids are awesome. Don't know why anyone would feel the need to harass parents of children who aren't bothering anyone.

It was very odd. Eventually we invited his wife to come dine with us on the condition that she come alone as we were already enjoying a quiet dinner. They seemed to get the message.

Like some said, only you know whether it will be something you will enjoy with your toddler. As far as "think of others" that can go both ways. They could also "think of you" and be respectful and understanding as well. I use to think the opposite way - I didn't want to be around kids and screaming kids bugged me. Until I had my own...now I'm much more flexible and understanding. Now, I do agree though - just don't be the parent that "allows" your child to be nuts..LOL...at the same time...there are special needs children that sometimes have to just "let it out" but then everyone moves on afterwards. I seriously don't think it's an issue unless you know your child will be restless. It's more about what experience do you want to have in there. We will be bringing my 4 year old and 7 year old.