Barcelona

mredmred

I've booked my first cruise next year on Freedom of the Seas.

The cruise starts from Barcelona.

We have flights that arrive in Barcelona at 11:30.

The schedule on Embarkation is a depart at 17:00

Would I have time to do a short city tour?

I wont have time during debarkation as our flights are at 11:30.

I have asked our TA about a day in Barcelona and they said I would have to forgo the free flights offer we have.

It would be a shame not to see Barcelona while we are in the port.

This is direct from my e-docs. So 15:00 would be the cutoff. I say 14:30

Departure time: 5:00 pm

All Guests must be on board the ship no later than 2 hours prior to the departure time noted on these documents or they will not be permitted to sail.

Check out these people.

Barcelona Day Tours

Top-Day-Tours Group

http://www.BarcelonaDayTours.com

I have them booked to pick up from the Airport and then a 4 hour tour. They will customize for you to your schedule.

You could take a hoho, there are two companies: http://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/en/home and http://www.barcelonacitytour.cat/en/ There are five routes to choose from and most of them are 2.5/3h long.

Alternatively, for a rather different and unique tour you could try this: http://brightsidetours.com/barcelona-sidecar-tour/ (max two pax of course!)

This summer by the time we got off the plane and got our luggage it was over an hour. That said, if you are on time the folks at Barcelona Day Tours might be able to give you a ride past some of the sites in the two hours you have.

Our flight from Toronto was four hours late and I sure felt sorry for the people who were catching a cruise that afternoon.

... adding...

The airport of Barcelona is one of the busiest in Europe all year long, but especially in summer season. In the US, only LAX gets near the number of passengers handled by BCN. It's been so for many years so we're quite used to handle a large number of passengers.

Having said that, as not everything can be *planned for*, one has to take into account 'unforeseens', especially late landings, strikes -whether locally or elsewhere (ie. a strike by the French air controllers screws everybody else in Europe because France is in the middle of the European air space)-, peak times, unplanned breakdowns, etc Those of you regularly using a major airport elsewhere know exactly what I mean...

In short, as 'airports' go always better safe than sorry!

Personally, I would think you need to just head directly to the port upon arrival. However, if you really want to try and set something up, I would have a car/tour company pick you up at the airport and drive you to Sagrada Familia (with advance purchase tickets) and just go inside for a short visit. Then head to the port. Sagrada Familia is, in my opinion, the "must see" site in Barcelona.

I have used Barcelona Day Tours and they can adjust what you need, but I don't think you will have the time to stop and see the attractions...

If I were in your place, I would ask the tour guide to pick up at airport and do a sceneric tour of the main attractrions and then drive you to the port.

This way you would have a glimpse of what to expect for the next time you'll be in Barcelona... and start to plan already for the next time, remember that planning is also part of the fun! :cool:

Personally, I would think you need to just head directly to the port upon arrival. However, if you really want to try and set something up, I would have a car/tour company pick you up at the airport and drive you to Sagrada Familia (with advance purchase tickets) and just go inside for a short visit. Then head to the port. Sagrada Familia is, in my opinion, the "must see" site in Barcelona.

I have to agree with MeHeartCruising. I would head to the port directly. BUT if you must see something, it is Sagrada Familia.

Can you check with TA and see if you can pay an extra fee for airline arrival deviation? We have a cruise with free airfare and to come in a few days earlier than departure date is only $100/pp extra...worth the extra money to be able to see the sites in the departure port. Of course, we have to pay for lodging, etc. but still it's nice to have time pre-cruise.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't think I'll have time to visit Barcelona which is a pity.

I have spoken to my TA and they have said that if I amend the flight the free flights offer will be withdrawn plus there will be a recalculation of the total fare.

Edited by mredmred

Not knowing your date of cruise - could you cancel and rebook? I had a TA deal for a Transatlantic cruise that included cruise, one way air, 2 nights in hotel. I know we want to stay longer so they told me we could deviate for 75.00 each.

All looked good until I could see my flight choices, and flight prices started dropping. I canceled. Rebooked, picked up a free gratitudes perk, got my own hotel and flights and saved at least 800.00. I had to pay 50.00 fee to cancel but I still came out ahead. Best thing to me, is I got to pick airline, times, airports, layovers etc. I was so worried we were going to get crappy flight times etc.

Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it appears most US flights into Barcelona arrive in the AM, cruises leave in the late afternoon... can we assume 1) not enough time for a drive around tour

2) leave serious cushion for flight delays

What a pity :-(