Brooklyn/Red Hook/Bridge/South Street Seaport

cruznliz

We're coming into Red Hook for a port day 7 AM to 5 PM. Is it possible to walk to the Brooklyn Bridge (from Red Hook) and walk over the bridge by ourselves? If we wanted to take a harbor cruise, can we get something on the Brooklyn side or at the South Street Seaport?

Another possiblility is to go to Coney Island. Any idea how much a taxi would cost from Red Hook?

Thanks for any help or ideas!!

We're coming into Red Hook for a port day 7 AM to 5 PM. Is it possible to walk to the Brooklyn Bridge (from Red Hook) and walk over the bridge by ourselves? If we wanted to take a harbor cruise, can we get something on the Brooklyn side or at the South Street Seaport?

Another possiblility is to go to Coney Island. Any idea how much a taxi would cost from Red Hook?

Thanks for any help or ideas!!

You can walk from the B. Bridge to the South Street Seaport but not from Red Hook. You can always walk across the B. Bridge. Best way is to take a taxi to lower Manhattan. Once in lower Manhattan you can visit Little Italy, the Freedom Tower, the Battery, financial district, etc. You may also want to consider taking a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry to and from Manhattan.

You can get a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan if you are in mid-town for either 2-3 hours.

Estimated taxi fare should be around $25 - $35 depending on traffic. If you arrive on a weekend be forewarned, lots of street fairs/events take place on both Saturday and Sunday and cause the shutdown of streets to traffic.

Hope this helps you out a bit. Lots to see and do in NYC.

MARAPRINCE

If I am not mistaken, aren't they redoing the South Street Seaport? I do believe all the old sailing ships that were there are now gone and it is mostly restaurants and shops, a la tourist trap. We did a sunset cruise out of there a couple of years ago, before Sandy and it was alive with stuff, but now, I don't think they do any sailings from there. If anyone knows better, please correct me.

Cheers

Len

If I am not mistaken, aren't they redoing the South Street Seaport? I do believe all the old sailing ships that were there are now gone and it is mostly restaurants and shops, a la tourist trap. We did a sunset cruise out of there a couple of years ago, before Sandy and it was alive with stuff, but now, I don't think they do any sailings from there. If anyone knows better, please correct me.

Cheers

Len

They still have the "Beast" which is a speed boat ride. There also is another slower ship that sails out of the Seaport. Definitely some restaurants but not shops. There are some small shops before you get to the dock area and what used to be the Fulton Fish Market has higher end shops in it.

MARAPRINCE

The most inexpensive and easy is to take a taxi to downtown Brooklyn cross streets of Adams and Tillary. Can't miss the Federal Court House, and you can walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. I would then take the subway to where you want to go.

City Hall stop, take the Brooklyn bound R train to Dekalb Ave and cross platform transfer to the Q train to Coney Island Stillwell Ave if you want to go there.

Walking to the Brooklyn Bridge from the port is a long walk with many changes in direction not like walking in Manhattan, not recommended.

Even shorter taxi ride is to the Smith and 9th Street (Intersection and name of subway stop), you can take the F train to Coney Island or towards Manhattan to Jay street across platform transfer to A or C to the next stop High Street. You can walk up stairs right to the Brooklyn Bridge.

Consider time and cost of cab with or without subway.

Check out the East Coast forum as well: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Thanks for all the responses. Someone mentioned Circle Line cruises and according to the website one of the stops is Red Hook. That should be within walking distance. Just hope the weather is dry on November 1st!

No, the Circle Line does not stop anywhere - it is just a cruise; the Circle Line has 3 different ride options but they do not take on passengers/let off...that would never work in NYC :eek: Just wanted to clear things up for you - I have lived here my entire life, Brooklyn resident for 20 years, Queens prior to that about 23 years. Finally in a suburb about 20 miles north of Manhattan...I love it too much to be far away :)

I'll piggy back onto Brighton Line's post for further details, clarification :)

The most inexpensive and easy is to take a taxi to downtown Brooklyn cross streets of Adams and Tillary. Can't miss the Federal Court House, and you can walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. I would then take the subway to where you want to go.

City Hall stop, take the Brooklyn bound R train to Dekalb Ave and cross platform transfer to the Q train to Coney Island Stillwell Ave if you want to go there.

Walking to the Brooklyn Bridge from the port is a long walk with many changes in direction not like walking in Manhattan, not recommended.

Even shorter taxi ride is to the Smith and 9th Street (Intersection and name of subway stop), you can take the F train to Coney Island or towards Manhattan to Jay street across platform transfer to A or C to the next stop High Street. You can walk up stairs right to the Brooklyn Bridge.

Consider time and cost of cab with or without subway.

Check out the East Coast forum as well: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Love these tips - they are spot on in terms of location, efficiency and directions. If it were me, I'd grab an Uber to the Smith & 9th Street subway, that'll be the F line - it's known as the highest subway station at least in the US, if not anywhere - there are a few good views up there if you walk to either end of the platform - yes it's safe, it's a busy station, lots of people there.

So if you want to take the Circle Line - highly recommend, I just brought visitors from Germany on the Harbor Lights 2 hour ride - even for me, it was quite a delight (sit on the left side of the boat!) they loved the cruise - take the F train to 42nd street. Once you exit the train, follow the signs toward the west - exit signs will have you choose a north or south west corner, either one will be fine! Head west....you'll know you are heading the correct direction as you'll be standing on the west side of the street if you take a look at Avenue of the America's (aka 6th Avenue) that traffic is heading NORTH. To orient yourself if you feel unsure that you're on the west corner upon exiting the subway, face the direction 6th Ave is heading, North, look left - aka WEST on 42nd Street, head that way all the way to the Hudson River - that is where the Circle Line is...right next to the USS Intrepid Museum...also very cool (one of the Space Shuttles is also there but it is covered up on the aft portion of the Carrier to protect it from elements)

The Circle Line Harbor Lights cruise cost US$38 per adult (under 65) it is phenomenal, accompanied by a live commentary explaining what you see as the boat passes downtown along the Hudson...then goes down to the Statue of Liberty (passes by Ellis Island) and around the Statue) and then heads back up the East side of Manhattan via the East river, past Brooklyn to the east, lower Manhattan, the Seaport (yes it's being repaired but is open - it wasn't completely ruined by Sandy, though no, the ships aren't there) and all the way up to the Queensborough Bridge and Long Island City - which is about to where the Citicorp Building is - it's the one with the slanted roof in Midtown...yes you pass by the Empire State, UN, Chrysler Building....under all three bridges in Brooklyn - Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg - gorgeous. There are drinks, snacks and "adult beverages" available for purchase on board Circle Line.

It is also kind of amazing to walk on the Brooklyn Bridge, especially if you love to take photographs...some iconic photos have been shot here. However crossing the entire bridge (and back) can be tiring depending upon how much one has done for the day. Often, just walking out half way is enough, then heading back - as it's a suspension bridge and the way these bridges need to be built, there is quite a rise towards the center of the span but often the vigor of it all gets lost by the splendor of the vistas.

If you want to get to the Brooklyn Bridge from the West Side after the Circle Line, the nearest subway would be the 1, 2 or 3 train - red on the map (to Chambers St) but if you walk a bit east the J or Z train - brown on the map (to Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall) are the lines to take.

Coney Island is quite cool too if you have seen it in many movies or television shows and it is becoming more and more, hmmm, fancy? I'm not sure of the word. This weekend an Irish Fair I used to attend so often - kind of in a parking lot (a big one!) now takes place in a proper concert venue - OK so the performance portion of the fair :D That's nice but it's also rather expensive and the thing is, well the entrance fee was meant to go to charity. Now the tickets are going through, you guessed it, a big corporation. Progress.

Otherwise you have the cyclone - it's incredible - Wonder Wheel - iconic parachute jump (not open but part of the Brooklyn skyline) the boardwalk, the Mets minor league stadium, the Aquarium...the TV show Mr Robot has a lot of exterior scenes filmed there but occasionally they try to pass something off that isn't Coney - easy to spot. The subway ride might take 1/2 hour from Red Hook - if it's a weekend day - allow enough time, sometimes we don't know what will take place on the subways over the weekend. The walk from the subway to Coney is about 5-10 minutes.

Any other questions/concerns, just ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, we are also in NY on the 1st November. Can anyone confirm there is a ferry which sails from Brooklyn to Battery Park & back. We have heard taxis don't always want to take cruise ship passengers back to Red Hook terminal. As we will be leaving at 5pm we can't afford to have issues about getting back to the ship.Thanks, any info would be appreciated. Trish & Peter.

Hi all, we are also in NY on the 1st November. Can anyone confirm there is a ferry which sails from Brooklyn to Battery Park & back. We have heard taxis don't always want to take cruise ship passengers back to Red Hook terminal. As we will be leaving at 5pm we can't afford to have issues about getting back to the ship.Thanks, any info would be appreciated. Trish & Peter.

This might become what you're looking for - https://www.nywatertaxi.com/ikea

New York City cabs are required to take fares within New York City. I'm not sure what you can do if they refuse other than lodge a complaint which will probably be taken seriously, but that doesn't get you the ride. Be sure to take the printed port address and directions with you - cabbies might not actually know how to get to the port.

This might become what you're looking for - https://www.nywatertaxi.com/ikea

New York City cabs are required to take fares within New York City. I'm not sure what you can do if they refuse other than lodge a complaint which will probably be taken seriously, but that doesn't get you the ride. Be sure to take the printed port address and directions with you - cabbies might not actually know how to get to the port.

I'm still trying to figure this all out. So if the NY Water Taxi stops at Red Hook, where does it stop in relation to the ship? Is it a mile away or 100 yards? Is it walkable?

I'm still trying to figure this all out. So if the NY Water Taxi stops at Red Hook, where does it stop in relation to the ship? Is it a mile away or 100 yards? Is it walkable?

It is around a mile away. I did lots of research yesterday. The water taxi from IKEA goes to slip 11 which is Manhattan. We need to to get back to the ship from slip 6 in Battery park which goes to Van Brunt st.. I have to look exactly how to get back to the ship .it doesn't look too far from the ship. We will probably get a taxi from the ship to Battery park, then the water taxi back to the ship. Time is the biggest factor, we have tickets to climb the S O L. at 11am so hopefully we will have enough time to do that and get back ok. Trish & Peter.

Hi -

I moved from Brooklyn three years ago (still only 47 minutes from Grand Central by train) and while I generally used the subway most of the time in/out of the city, there were late nights in the city when we'd decide to grab a cab home to Brooklyn and we always found one.

In NYC you just need to give yourself the time to find the cab - as another member has commented, the NYC TLC requires every driver to accept any fare - they cannot say no to going from Manhattan to another borough; plus, being in Brooklyn, especially all the waterfront areas near to the cruise ports (Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, Williamsburg, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, etc) means it's easier for them to pick up a fare going back into Manhattan or worst case, jump back on the FREE Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge and they're right back in Manhattan again to grab another fare.

The only real challenges to getting cabs are weather (rain/snow), time of day (rush hour), location (in the city) so allow extra time for certain factors but otherwise - say about 5-10 minutes to hail a yellow cab on the street maximum. You'll know it's free if the medallion number on top is illuminated - a sequence of 4 numbers/letters...if not "off duty" is illuminated. Otherwise, private TLC regulated can be telephoned/hired but they CANNOT be hailed on the street - only yellow (a few are lime green - we don't know why) cabs can be hailed.

You may know some of these taxi facts, just added them in for some visitors who might not or have not yet been to NYC - it can be a little overwhelming, I've been told ;)

Ah and traffic ought not be *too* much an issue with a taxi as the bridges are quite close to the Port - Red Hook isn't far from the Brooklyn Bridge which comes first, next is the Manhattan Bridge - you can always pop out of the taxi and then pop into the subway from there to save on the taxi fare and if it's congested in the city.

Have fun in NYC! :D