P&O vs Cunard?

Steddiguy

Hi everyone. Would be first time cruiser here, also a solo cruiser. There are 2 cruises that interest me, both with single cabins available. One is on the Azura to the Fjords and the other on Queen Elizabeth to Spain and Portugual. Anyone got any thoughts on either line? Azura is slightly cheaper really like to see the fjord but from online research Cunard seems more solo friendly

Comments appreciated

Will also post this in the solo cruisers forum

Cunard has a really strict dress code, so unless you're willing to wear a suit almost every night you might want to look at P&O. I think they have fewer formal nights. But I really liked my only Cunard crossing, it wasn't a hardship to get dressed up every night.

Go with the ports you want to visit and don't worry about the ship so much. :D

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Thank you Sauer-Kraut:-)

I knew about Cunard's dress code, friends of mine regularly cruise with them. No hardship for me to wear a suit either every night either :-)

All the ports interest me. Maybe getting of the ship in the fjords is easier for a first time cruiser, and a solo one at that

What time of year are you thinking of ? Azura will probably have more families on board, if that's a consideration.

P&O has some freedom dining, Cunard is still early and late seating, that might be better for a solo traveller.

Cunard will have a more international demographic, P&O is almost all British.

It's probably worth asking this on both the Cunard and P&O boards.

Enjoy whichever you choose.

Thanks for those Hattie :-)

Interesting reading, with a few smiles at some of the posts :-)

I think Cunard may be winning me over at the moment

I haven't cruised P & O but I have cruised Cunrad several times.

I love the evenings on the ship......I love an excuse to dress up and so it seems to many others. We find the ships very friendly although there is definitely a perception among people who haven't sailed Cunard that they are snobby - not true in our experience.

We have had several solo travellers on our table at dinner over the years and they all seem to have enjoyed their time on board - the only niggle always. seems to be the single supplement.

Do ask on the individual Cunard/P&O boards as Hattie says - lots of people have done both.

Whichever you decide on I wish you a great trip

Azura is very solo friendly- she has 18 single cabins, and has meetings for solos, including their own table for afternoon tea. Each time we've been on her or her sister ship, we've met single people who by the end of the cruise are all friends together... arranging tours and activities with each other. One single on our cruise this Jan, on Azura's sister ship Ventura, is travelling with us and the rest of the group of friends we made next Jan.

But, as mentioned, you'll not find much of an international mix on P&O... mainly Brits, Irish and perhaps a few from Oz; Cunard has a wider market.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done! You'll be fine... once you're on board, you can ask almost anyone a question about cruising, because it's the cruiser's favourite topic!

A beautiful ship, still new; look at the daily paper which will be outside your cabin for the solo meetings, where you'll find lots of advice and friendship.

Enjoy! :cool: