Just Back from the Escape

barbl123

Just got off the Escape yesterday - this review will not be pages & pages, just a short info review. First let me say that I enjoyed the cruise & ship very much. It was my 8th NCL cruise -but the biggest ship we have been on -prior to this it was Gem class, Sky, Pride etc. -but to be honest this is not my favorite ship-too big for me!

Embarking was quick & efficient - we were on the ship by noon. Headed to lunch at Garden Cafe -unlike the other ships there was no "outside" eating on the back of the boat -there were some outside tables along poolside. Food was good & plentiful-gourmet? no but good none the less! you can always find something there to eat. We did eat in 2 of the specialty restaurants -the Japanese & sushi -didn't need reservations for sushi -yes for the Japanese. Both were excellent and well worth the extra expense.

Getting around is a bit more complex due to the size -there are numerous bars all long the 2 main area levels -the atrium in the middle is the main game show spot -seating always at a premium.

Speaking of shows- the theater of course cannot accommodate the full ship (nor can most on other ships -so most have 2 nightly shows)this ship has 2 other smaller venues for smaller shows (comic, magician) but for most in all 3 reservations are recommended & strongly suggested. I found the entertainment ok -nothing special -EXCEPT for the Howl at the Moon - 3 musicians -mostly piano-who play & sing all requests -along with laughs & they were fantastic -we saw them 3 times! A must not miss!

The one thing that I really didn't like was the pool -as mentioned in several other reviews -one small pool for a ship this size -??? on sea days it was pretty much impossible to get into the pool -the area around it was jammed -people would "reserve" a chair by 8am! 2 large screens were usually playing soccer games or music blasting -it was overwhelming. We did find a somewhat quieter spot -Spice H2O -smaller -no pool but a waterfall like spot to cool off -a bar (of course) and some (not enough) umbrellas -also large screen but quieter.

There also was the "waterfront" on deck 8 -along the outside -at night one could eat at certain restaurants outside -during the day it was a quiet spot to read/drink/nap -in chaise & chairs. These spots also filled up quickly at times -but there would always be the bars chairs -

The crew & staff were as always attentive & efficient -always visible -The ship was clean- (washy-washy) and everyone was friendly. In talking to the staff it is apparent they all work long days -usually 7 days a week and yet always a smile -

So- would I sail on this (or others of this class) again? Probably if it was the only itinerary/ship combo I could get -but as said in the beginning I would prefer the smaller ships -Bon voyage to all who sail after me -as someone said "If you can't have fun on a cruise -there is something VERY wrong with you!"

what time was your boarding time? curious to see if they let you on before your boarding time.

NCL does not enforce the "Time you have selected to arrive at the pier". I.e., don't sit at the airport for hours or delay your drive in because you have a late arrival time. Come when it works best for you. NCL is trying to spread out the arrival times so that there are not long waits to check in and board.

Edited by BirdTravels

I had an arrival time of 11:30 am and my BF was 1:00 pm. We arrived at 11:00 am and terminal B was not as busy as I would have thought. It was easy to go through security and to get our pictures and ship cards. Only time we waited was when we got up-stairs. We had boarding group 7 I believe but we were still on board around noon!

Thanks for your review & comments.

How was your disembarkation experience, did you carry-off, and when did you get off ship?

Any little secrets or hints to making the week enjoyable?

Are there comfy padded loungers or chairs along the waterfront?

Did you have any good/bad excursion experiences at ports?

Boarding time- started at 11:30ish -we were on the ship by noon & had a drink in hand by 12:15! easy peasy! Our tag time to get off was 8:45 - they called our color at 8:10 -we were through customes by 8:50! at the airport (Ft Lauderdale) by 10- unfortunately I listened to my TA & had a 1:30 flight- next time I will trust my judgement & book earlier (especially since this cruise put us in gold latitudes)

Yes, comfy padded chaises & chairs along waterfront -and it was nice & peaceful.

Excursions -St Thomas -we did Champagne Catamaran Snorkle -really nice boat to a nice (not the best -but good) snorkle site /w beach you could swim up to. Tortola -Gorda Baths -beautiful beaches at each end of a somewhat strenuous downhill (then uphill!) walk of about 15 minutes. The caves were amazing to walk thru -again not for the faint of heart or claustrophobic- but well worth the walk thru. Both were booked thru the ship just for the ease. We did not book an excursion for Bahamas -been there -just walked thru town. All good.