New to NCL - Some Questions...

cle-guy

I've sailed Celebrity exclusively so far.

I've found a deal too good to pass up in the Epic TA this October and have it on a 24 hour hold.

From what I've gathered, can you please let me know if I'm correct or what I'm off on from the following:

1) Ultimate Beverage Package doesn't include boiled waters, espresso etc. "fancy" coffees and fresh juices etc. And there are no packages that do, they are a-la-carte.

2) Service charges added daily are all I HAVE to tip. I can tip for great service at my discretion.

3) In the Haven, I pay a higher service charge. Does that cover Butler? If I use extreme services of butler, I'd tip accordingly extra.

4) In Haven, can I get espresso drinks up there at no charge?

5) I can't carry on bottled water or soda like I can on Celebrity. What about wine?

6) Does NCL have a travel service for cruise-air recommendations? 1 way flight on a TA to BCN is pricey.....

7) Arriving Port Canaveral, what time can I book a flight out of Orlando? I'm TSA Pre-check and Clear and flying on 1st class rewards ticket on United.

8) If anyone is familiar, can you compare and contrast Butler service NCL versus Celebrity?

Appreciate any comments for an NCL newbie. :D

Edited by cle-guy

I've sailed Celebrity exclusively so far.

I've found a deal too good to pass up in the Epic TA this October and have it on a 24 hour hold.

From what I've gathered, can you please let me know if I'm correct or what I'm off on from the following:

1) Ultimate Beverage Package doesn't include boiled waters, espresso etc. "fancy" coffees and fresh juices etc. And there are no packages that do, they are a-la-carte. - There is a water package, but it is expensive, otherwise it is a la carte. https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/bottled-water-packages

2) Service charges added daily are all I HAVE to tip. I can tip for great service at my discretion. - It is just like Celebrity; you have the Daily Service Charge (automatic-gratuities). Then there is the automatic 18% on purchased beverages or on the beverage package, if you have one. There is also an automatic 18% gratuity on specialty dining or on the specialty dining package, if you have that. Butler and Concierge are not included in the DSC, so you would tip them separately.

3) In the Haven, I pay a higher service charge. Does that cover Butler? If I use extreme services of butler, I'd tip accordingly extra. - No, Butler and Concierge are not included. Also, if you are in a suite, you don't pay the 18% gratuity on the specialty dining package or ultimate beverage package nor do you pay the $7.95 service charge on room service.

4) In Haven, can I get espresso drinks up there at no charge? - Don't think so, but not sure because I don't cruise in the Haven only in non-Haven suites.

5) I can't carry on bottled water or soda like I can on Celebrity. What about wine? - You can bring as many bottles as you would like and each will incur a $15 corkage fee.

6) Does NCL have a travel service for cruise-air recommendations? 1 day flight on a TA is pricey..... - I believe so, but I have never used it.

7) Arriving Port Canaveral, what time can I book a flight out of Orlando? I'm TSA Pre-check and Clear and flying on 1st class rewards ticket on United. - Don't know.

8) If anyone is familiar, can you compare and contrast Butler service NCL versus Celebrity? - I have not cruise in a suite on Celebrity, but from what I've read the Butlers on NCL do much more for the passengers then those on Celebrity.

Appreciate any comments for an NCL newbie. :D

Hey Curt, welcome over to NCL. Are you still going to cruise on Celebrity, my next Celebrity cruise is in January. Hopefully, since we've never met in person on Celebrity, we can accomplish this on NCL.

Nancy

Edited by NLH Arizona

In the Haven restaurant, there are prices listed...

Espresso Single $1.95

Espresso Double $2.95

Cappuccino $2.95

Caffé Latté $2.95

...but we were never charged when we ordered cappuccino with breakfast.

Isn't there a Nespresso machine in the room? There was in the PH on the Gem. :)

1. Yes, the UBP excludes bottled water, bottled/canned soda, fresh squeezed jucie and specialty coffees. There are various sized water packages, though. OR, if you are in an OS, DOS or GV, water (still and sparkling) are included, as are bottled sodas. However, if you add alcohol to your coffee (kahlua, irish cream, etc), it then becomes part of the UBP.

2. The only people not included in DSC are Butler, Concierge, Splash Academy (if you have kids)

3. If you plan to use their services, you need to plan to tip butler and concierge.

4. I dont drink coffee, so I dont know, but I do know you can get french press coffee in the Haven. They also usually have orange juice up there.

5. Wine has a corkage fee, you can take as many bottles on as you want to pay for. Or you can get a Viva Vino package.

6. No idea.

7. Depends on arrival time. For a 7:30 arrival, the earliest I'd push it would be 11:30/12, and that would be taking advantage of suite early walk-off at the earliest possible time.

8. No idea what they do on celebrity. Here are some things our butlers have done for us:

Bring daily snacks in the afternoon

bring movies for the DVD player (IDK if Spirit has on demand yet or not)

Filled our hot tub

brought us various papers/cards/etc that had to be changed via the concierge.

Brought us an extension cord and a power strip

brought us breakfast/dinner/etc en suite and served it with white tablecloth

bring any room service orders

take care of the coffee/tea machine

troubleshoot the portable phone if it develops issues.

Helped us out with some room steward issues after a few requests/notes went unaddressed (4 people, 2 towels...)

I know that, if asked, they can and will also set up a game watching or cocktail party for you and friends in suite - but that is a lot of work, so if you ask them for that, Id tip quite a bit more (personally)

They will also draw a "butler bath" for you, there is a list in the bathroom, each bath costs anywhere from $49 to $499 and includes snack and drink (the $499 one includes caviar and Dom Perignon)

Basically, the butler deals with anything inside the suite.

Concierge deals with things outside the suite, like dinner and show reservations, shore excursions, priority disembarkation, etc.

Edited by Starflyr3