Cell phone coverage

TravelLynn

Yes if you want to pay the mega exorbitant rate for the at sea mobile system. You can add international service to your ATT plan for the countries you will be visiting that will let you make calls when in port. Cheapest way to stay in touch is via email (or text if you are an Apple device user via the cloud) using wifi. It's free.

I use Facetime on my iPad or Viber on my android cell phone. Works great on wifi and the best part is that they are FREE.

Is Viber an app, or a VOIP type thing, or what? I'm interested in exploring that option. I recently called Canada on my Android phone while at home and a two minute call was $2 - pretty pricey. Someone said it was because I had WiFi turned off on the phone, but I really don't know for sure what happened, as I assumed a call to Canada would be free with T Mobile.

I just turn my phone off when on cruise ships, but would love to be able to text or call while on board a cruise ship. The whole phone use on cruise ships confuse the heck out of me.

Hi, Roothy!

We are headed to the Viking Sea in 2 wks!

Viber is an app. You can do free phone, text and messaging, but all parties must have the app. My husband got a similar app to talk with a friend in the Middle East when he was there.

However, we are going to get a one month plan from Verizon that will allow me to use my phone internationally for $40 and that includes calls, texts and messages. My sister has been ill and so I want her to be able to call me if she wants to and also my niece if needed. It will make me feel much more relaxed about going away while she is expecting to have surgery, and I know I can keep in touch as needed.

Becki

Hi, Roothy!

We are headed to the Viking Sea in 2 wks!

Viber is an app. You can do free phone, text and messaging, but all parties must have the app. My husband got a similar app to talk with a friend in the Middle East when he was there.

However, we are going to get a one month plan from Verizon that will allow me to use my phone internationally for $40 and that includes calls, texts and messages. My sister has been ill and so I want her to be able to call me if she wants to and also my niece if needed. It will make me feel much more relaxed about going away while she is expecting to have surgery, and I know I can keep in touch as needed.

Becki

Hi Becki! Glad to hear you're on the move again. The Verizon plan sounds good. We have T Mobile and while it's better than most for European calls, I'm interested in expanding the amount of time I can be easily reached. Do you know if you can use Viber while on a cruise ship without being charged to go through the ship's equipment? That would be wonderful, given the time differences involved in many cruises.

Have a great time on your cruise. I know you will.

Edited by roothy123

Ruth,

I think you can use Viber on the ship; it just goes thru the WiFi but again, the parties you are calling must have it on their phones as well. The app my husband used with his friend in the Middle East worked well; good voice quality, they could face time, the calls even came in on a special ring so he knew who it was if he didn't recognize the #.

The Verizon plan or your T Mobile plan may vary from region to region. I know the couple we usually travel with got the plan we are getting for only $20 a month last year, and they are in FL. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I am really looking forward to this cruise. We got an upgrade to a PV cabin, so it will be nice to have that extra space. We are spending 2 extra days in Barcelona and there is so much to see there. Hope we can do even half of it. :D

Becki

• 1 month later...

If you have the Viber app you can call another Viber user for free. If you call a phone that is not a Viber user you are charged per the country rate you call from. Just load $ into your Viber account. Usually not expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by martyap