Island Princess CD

goldencruiser

I just got off the ship on Saturday and you will be happy to hear that they have a new cruise director - Gavin (my patter is at home so I can't give you a last name). We found him to be very good - involved and very approachable.

Joanne

05/12/04 Island Princess

03/25/04 Island Princess

08/15/03 Majesty of the Sea (b to b)

03/26/03 Sun Princess

12/15/02 Grand Princess

Hi Goldencruiser:

I am the CD on the Island for the Alaska season. Gavin Chandler is now Relief CD on the Golden.

As I did this winter while I was on the Coral, I will be happy to answer anybody's questions as time permits. I usually have the chance to check the boards a couple of times a week.

We are just finishing our first Alaska cruise and the weather has been spectacular! icon_cool.gif

Hopefully it is an omen for the season!

Kind Regards & I hope to welcome you all aboard the Island soon!

Richard Joseph

Hello Richard,

Great to hear directly from the CD. We'll be doing the 1st round trip out of L.A. to Hawaii on Sept. 21st. Will you still be on the Island? If so, looking forward to meeting you. Thanks, Mike and Robin Kitchens

Hi Richard, Glad to here from you. Welcome aboard. We will be sailing with you June 26. For most of us, it is our first time on the Island Princess. Please give us all the inside scoop of the "DON'T MISS" items, both what to do and what to see.

Thanks,

Joe in Colorado

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;6;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

6/26 Island Princess

Goldencruiser: Also looking fwd to meeting you -when will you be aboard?

Mkitchy: As of now I am scheduled for vacation September 20 - BUT..... you never know - our schedules can change at a moments notice. The winter Hawaiian run looks great and Hawaii has always been one of my favorite destinations. Hope to meet you.

Jdl2: See you in a month - please look me up and say hello. As far as the Island goes - don't miss:

Our production show "Tribute" in our state of the art Universe Lounge. All the production shows are great - but Tribute is cutting edge.

The two specialty restaurants are incredible. My favorite is the Bayou Cafe. New Orleans themed with a great band. Make sure you try the Steak - it's like butter.

In Juneau we will have Libby Riddles come aboard for a lecture - she is the first woman to run in the Iditarod Dog Sled Race from Anchorage to Nome in 1985.

In Glacier Bay treat yourself to the "Glacier Bay Champagne Breakfast" if you have a balcony. It is very special.

Crooners Martini Bar is also very popular - making 52 different Martinis!

In terms of Alaska, my favorite excursion is the Taku Glacier Lodge tour from Juneau.

In Skagway make sure you get into the Yukon. The train tour is a great way to do this.

That's just a few of the "don't miss" things in my opinion. There are, of course, many many more.

The Island princess is a beautiful, elegant vessel. Never a crowded feeling - I am certain you will have the vacation of a lifetime with us.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Rich

Hi Richard!

Just wanted to say it's fantastic to see someone as high-ranking as yourself using these message boards. The other person to do so was Graham Seymour a couple of months back.

This is a great board - I've only been registered a few months but everyone has made me feel really welcome here.

I'm hoping to join P&O Princess next year as a Deck Cadet, so I look forward to perhaps meeting you one day.

Andrew.

Oceana - Feb 2004

Golden Princess - July 2003

Dawn Princess - Feb 2002

Dawn Princess - Jan 2001

Grand Princess - Jan 2000

Majesty of the Seas - Jan 1999

Hello Richard,

My family and I will be joining you on the Island on July 24th. Its our second trip to Alaska and we are very excited. Hope to meet you on board.

Jennifer

Monarch 11/97

Elation 8/98

Mercury 8/00

Maasdam 7/02

Grand Princess 7/03

Island Princess 7/04

Hello Rich- you should be proud of your new assignment. We took the LA-Vancouver repo cruise and found Island Princess to be simply gorgeous, with service and food to match her elegance.

Favorite things:

1. The details in the ship decor. Amazing, and always tasteful.

2. Sabatini's: fine dining, and at times truly gourment.

3. Announcements: none in our stateroom, except the essentials. YEAH!

4. Service: so many delightful crewmembers working so hard with so many smiles. Wow.

Least favorite (outside of personal differences with the ship's design):

1. I'd prefer subdued lighting on the promenade at night. It should be a great place for a romantic after-dinner stroll. Instead, it's lit up like a hospital corridor. Probably not a big issue in the endless twilights of Alaskan summers.

2. At dinner, we were approached repeatedly by poor crewmembers peddling souvenir shotglasses. I realize that low fares force you to look for alternate forms of revenue. But dinner is NOT the time or place to be subjected to petty salesmanship.

These complaints are minor. Enjoy your stay on the Island!!!

Rick

APH-Good Luck in the future, I hope we will work together one day!

Bill & Rosemary / Jennifer & Family - See you on July 24! Please look me up it will be great to chat in person. I'm certain you will have a AWESOME cruise!

Damerch - Party all day & all night??? Sounds like your ready for a super cruise with us - will all be waiting to welcome you and your family aboard.

Shuksan7- Thanks for the comments Rick - great to hear you had fun trip on the Island - yes, I am very proud of this assignment, the Island & the Coral have been the highlight of my years at sea. I will pass on your comments to the proper folks, you make a very good point.

Today we were in Glacier Bay - every time I sail pass these magnificent glaciers I am amazed by the beauty.

Kind Regards,

Rich

Rich, SInce you were just on here early this morning you might not read this for a couple of days but I was wondering . . .

I was just checking the ship cam (my daughter works on the ship and I like to keep track icon_wink.gif ) and it is labelled as Glacier Bay but the itinerary says you should be in Skagway today. Is it a mistake or are you delayed?

By the way, love the Island - my favorite so far!!

Joanne

05/12/04 Island Princess

03/25/04 Island Princess

08/15/03 Majesty of the Sea (b to b)

03/26/03 Sun Princess

12/15/02 Grand Princess

Hi Rich,,,good to see your here. My wife and I will be cruising with you southbound on July 31st. The only other cruise we ever took was in 1990, so we are really getting excited. July 31st can't get here soon enough, wish we were meeting you tomorrow!!! Take care, Rich, and we'll see ya soon.

Hello,

Thanks for answering questions. Will Alexander the hypnotist be on the July 3rd sailing?

Thanks Much

Rhonda

Hi Richard !

Good to see you back on the boards !

JDL2: you asked Rich for:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Please give us all the inside scoop of the "DON'T MISS" items <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were on the Coral Princess last Jan and Richard was our CD. He is absolutly amazing. If you have a chance to talk with him, you will see that this guy will do everything he can to make your cruise an exceptionnal one. One thing I would highly recommend is Richard's "Ships, where are they now" lecture. Don't miss it ! I don't want to spoil anything, but you will see a picture of a ship going more then 20 knots ... in reverse !!! icon_eek.gif

For those of you going on the Island in the next few months, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with Richard. Personnaly, I just hope he will be transfer on the Dawn Princess next March !!! icon_wink.gif

Have a great cruise !

Alain R.

---------- *** ----------

Want to see some pictures from our cruises ?

Just go to:

Alain & Linda cruises pictures

... and enjoy !

---------- *** ----------

1995 - Regal Princess (Eastern Carrib)

2000 - Sea Princess (Western Carrib)

2002 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib)

2004 - Coral Princess (Panama canal)

NEXT CRUISE:

2005/03/20 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib Meddley)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In Juneau we will have Libby Riddles come aboard for a lecture - she is the first woman to run in the Iditarod Dog Sled Race from Anchorage to Nome in 1985.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were on the Coral last August and were fortunate enough to be back onboard and have enough energy to see Libby Riddles. She was GREAT! An amazing woman. I very highly recommend it. My daughter is a teacher and Libby was very gracious in giving her resources and information on the Iditarod to use in the classroom.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Thanks Alain,

I have been hearing great things about Richard and how he is a great improvement on the Island.

Richard we are on the Baja deck, cabin B504 on June 26th, Can't wait to say "hi" !

I have only found two other couples going. Is anyone else joining us ?

Joe from Colorado

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;6;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

6/26 Island Princess

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking forward to my first Princess cruise aboard the Island for the Christmas and New Years holidays! If you are still the Island's CD at that time, we'll be sure to say hello!

Mahalo!

Taters icon_biggrin.gif

Song of Norway, 1971

Imagination, 1/1996

Imagination, 1/1998

Song of America, 1/1999

Jubilee, 1/2000

Inspiration, 1/2001

Enchantment of the Seas, 11/2002 - Back to back!

Carnival Conquest, 9/2003

Island Princess, 12/2004

Hi Everyone thanks for the messages!

Please be sure to look me up when you are aboard.

The weather this past week has been just incredible, with some of the clearest, bluest skys I have ever seen in SE Alaska. We our day 8 of this perfect cruising weather!

Alain - Great to hear from you again - isn't it time for another cruise for you & your group again? Soon I hope.

Best Wishes & see you all soon on board the Island.

Rich - CD IP

Rich - my wife and I will be cruising with you on 08/28/04 and are looking forward to it. Can you provide additional information about the Champagne Breakfast? Price, etc. Thanks in advance.

Archived