Seattle Hostels/budget hotels

Herfnerd

Wife and I decided to extend our vacation after our September 2017 Alaska cruise by a couple of days to sightsee.

We disembark 9/9/2017 and after the cruise and paying for the excursions, our two days in Seattle needs to be somewhat frugal. After seeing near NYC type hotel prices, was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on private ensuite hostels or budget hotels (Moore or Roosevelt type) close to all the sites from the Space Needle to around Occidental Square, if that is realistic. We won't have a car.

I found a few places that state no AC but I figured that time of year we won't need it - or will we?

TIA

I stayed at the Moore this past weekend - it was a hotel I knew nothing about but it was recommended by a cruise critic member and I enjoyed it - Price wise it was cheap compared to most other hotels in the downtown Seattle core and it is certainly centrally located - two blocks to Pike Place Market - about 2-3 blocks to Westlake Mall where you can catch the light rail, monorail and streetcar. It is where I will likely stay in the future.

I didn't spend very much time in the hotel and the weather wasn't the greatest so can't comment on the need for A/C but generally by September in Seattle the evening temperatures will cool down so it shouldn't be a problem etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis

Mediterranean Inn in Seattle Centre is another good budget option - lovely roof terrace with views is a bonus, needle/museums very close and walking into downtown and back quite feasible. I believe some premium rooms have AC, but the ones we've been in did not - and whether or not you'll need it depends on you as well as the weather...

Average Sep temps are definitely on the decline from summer highs, but we find there's usually one warm week in Sep when we have to fire up the AC in the bedroom here in Vancouver - and Seattle is a touch warmer on average. We no longer book non-AC rooms in Seattle unless it's October through April (but then we really struggle to sleep in anything over 72F).

I stayed at the Moore this past weekend - it was a hotel I knew nothing about but it was recommended by a cruise critic member and I enjoyed it - Price wise it was cheap compared to most other hotels in the downtown Seattle core and it is certainly centrally located - two blocks to Pike Place Market - about 2-3 blocks to Westlake Mall where you can catch the light rail, monorail and streetcar. It is where I will likely stay in the future.

I didn't spend very much time in the hotel and the weather wasn't the greatest so can't comment on the need for A/C but generally by September in Seattle the evening temperatures will cool down so it shouldn't be a problem etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis

Can you walk to the cruise port (luggage in tow) or what transportation would you recommend using to get there.

The reviews are very good for this place! No frills but who needs that when you'll be out and about most of the time.

It would depend on which cruise terminal you are sailing from.

Pier 66 used by NCL would be walkable but Pier 91 used by Princess, HAL and most other cruise lines is too far away to be walkable - it cost us $13.00 US for the taxi fare but we were travelling on a Sunday so traffic was light.

When I was in Seattle in May I took a taxi from Pier 91 to the train station which is further away than Moore Hotel and with tip it was $20.00 US.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis

It would depend on which cruise terminal you are sailing from.

Pier 66 used by NCL would be walkable but Pier 91 used by Princess, HAL and most other cruise lines is too far away to be walkable - it cost us $13.00 US for the taxi fare but we were travelling on a Sunday so traffic was light.

When I was in Seattle in May I took a taxi from Pier 91 to the train station which is further away than Moore Hotel and with tip it was $20.00 US.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dennis

Pretty sure I am leaving from Pier 66 so I would walk unless it's too far with luggage. Then a Lyft or Uber might be good.

Thanks for the info. The hotel sounds perfect.

Thanks for the info. The hotel sounds perfect.

Try for a room on an upper floor in case there's a concert going on in the Moore Theater, which the hotel sits above. It's a very old venue and soundproofing isn't all that hot, plus there are many occasions when the concertgoers spill out onto the streets after the show, making a fair amount of noise. (My wife was at a concert there where the performers came out onto the street and kept playing until the cops broke it up.)

If it's a warm night and you have to have the windows open (no a/c) then it might disrupt your sleep. It's not the quietest part of town, and there's a fair amount of street life (not all of it good) in the wee hours nearby.

Try for a room on an upper floor in case there's a concert going on in the Moore Theater, which the hotel sits above. It's a very old venue and soundproofing isn't all that hot, plus there are many occasions when the concertgoers spill out onto the streets after the show, making a fair amount of noise. (My wife was at a concert there where the performers came out onto the street and kept playing until the cops broke it up.)

If it's a warm night and you have to have the windows open (no a/c) then it might disrupt your sleep. It's not the quietest part of town, and there's a fair amount of street life (not all of it good) in the wee hours nearby.

Very accurate. Well said.

• 1 month later...

I booked the Moore Hotel for a precruise stay next May. I'm in the same boat as you - need a frugal stay as the cruise/excurions/airfare is a lot.

For those who have stayed - Any tips on how to get an upper floor room? Should I call in advance or ask when I check in?

When I booked on their website, I requested an upper floor room. When they emailed me my confirmation, they noted my request and replied they will do their best to accommodate

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! I just replied to my confirmation, so we'll see if I get a response.