Insurance questions

cat5dog1

My health insurance covers me out of the country and transportation to a hospital that can handle the condition. I don't care about cancellation insurance. What insurance would you recommend I get? Is there insurance if I miss the ship or have to fly home for an emergency or when released from hospital?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Medical evacuation back to the States can easily cost $50,000 +

You will need to be able to pay for your medical treatment and get reimbursed. Can you do that?

If you are to sick to cruise or break a leg leaving your house can you afford to loose the price of you airfare & cruise?

One of your parents or heaven help you a child of yours is in an accident and seriously ill. Can you afford to loose the cost of your air & cruise.

Are you sure your medical insurance will cover your broken leg from falling off a curb in Venice?

Your boss called and has cancelled everyone vacation, no exceptions!

Most medical insurance only covers inside the US. Call customer service at your Med Ins and double check.

All things to think about!

Call Steve at "the trip insurance store" or the people at "insure my trip".

We insure thru Steve and also have an annual Medical Evac Policy at MedJet Assist.

My health insurance covers me out of the country and transportation to a hospital that can handle the condition. I don't care about cancellation insurance. What insurance would you recommend I get? Is there insurance if I miss the ship or have to fly home for an emergency or when released from hospital?

You will need to be able to pay for your medical treatment and get reimbursed. Can you do that?

If you are to sick to cruise or break a leg leaving your house can you afford to loose the price of you airfare & cruise?

One of your parents or heaven help you a child of yours is in an accident and seriously ill. Can you afford to loose the cost of your air & cruise.

Are you sure your medical insurance will cover your broken leg from falling off a curb in Venice?

Most medical insurance only covers inside the US. Call customer service at your Med Ins and double check.

We insure thru Steve and also have an annual Medical Evac Policy at MedJet Assist.

We also strongly recommend getting insurance through Steve at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL him to discuss your concerns, as there seem to be several.

You mentioned not needing cancellation, but "flying home for an emergency".

Is that only if YOU have a medical emergency while traveling?

Or are you concerned about a family member, for example?

This might need trip interruption coverage.

Either way, what if you or family member got ill and you couldn't travel?

This would be trip cancellation coverage.

You might need coverage for pre-existing conditions (?).

And then you asked about missing the ship.

You seem to have a lot of mixed questions, and someone like Steve can help you sort out which concerns matter to you.

They've been of incredible assistance explaining which policies were best for our needs. They also helped with one of our two claims with Travel Insured - no nonsense from Travel Insured for either claim - nice!

(There's no charge to use them. Insurance is regulated.)

This is why you should call them and NOT just use the policy summaries on their website. The "fine print" can really matter.

We also have MedJetAssist (annual policy, so we are covered anywhere at least 150 miles from home) so that we can get transported to *OUR* local hospital and physicians. This kicks in only if one is already an inpatient, and it doesn't include regular medical care, just the medevac home.

NOTE: Most travel insurance won't pay the medical expenses directly, although there are some exceptions; a few apparently will "guarantee payment" (we have no experience with this).

You will most likely still need to pay up front and get reimbursed later.

I got a quote for health and evac insurance only for a February trip. It turned out cancellation, trip interruption etc added only $40 so I chose to buy it.

When there were two major New England winter storms bracketing February 2015 trip I was glad to have that insurance though we ended up not needing it. But people scheduled to fly before and after us both ways were affected with massive flight cancellations.

Found an affordable policy to cover what I need. Sorry but Steve was of no help.

I find Steve to be very happy to educate and talk you thru your situation EVEN if you don't buy a policy thru him. He has both sold me policies or pointed me in the right direction when the situation required it. But he is an excellent resource.

Glad you found what you needed for your situation! Safe journey :)

The only problem with Steve @ trip insurance store is that they do not handle pay with final payment policies such as Nationwide,etc. All their policies require payment up front! Insure my trip handles both types!

The only problem with Steve @ trip insurance store is that they do not handle pay with final payment policies such as Nationwide,etc. All their policies require payment up front! Insure my trip handles both types!

Nope.

Steve handles CSA, and there is at least one policy with them that doesn't require payment (any payment) until within 24 hours of FINAL payment (this is defined very narrowly, and doesn't include, say, adding a $50 tour at the last minute, for obvious reasons).

This allows for the waiver of pre-existing exclusion coverage, and also CFAR, but CFAR does cost a lot extra if done this way.

I use Steve, I purchase within 14 days of initial deposit. I only pay insurance on the deposit, so just a few dollars initially. Then as I begin putting down other non refundable deposits or purchases I increase my coverage and pay another premium. I don't completely cover my entire trip until final payment. This is all one policy that the policy limits simply get increased. It covers Pre-Existing medical which is my biggest concern. My other concern is that I don't need to come out of pocket up front for Travel Insurance except for in a very small way based on the amount of my deposit.

We do have an annual MedJett Assist policy so I can be evacuated home rather than to the nearest hospital.

• 1 month later...

They handle a number of plans from CSA, all of which allow you to buy your policy up until the final payment on your cruise and still be eligible for the pre-existing medical condition waiver.