Aussie seeking advice - disembarking New Jersey

cdwh1902

My husband and I are on a transatlantic cruise on the Vision OTS arriving into New Jersey on the 7 September 2017. We are intending on spending a few days in the New York environs before catching a train down to Washington DC.

As accommodation is already starting to become booked out at that time - it is the 9/11 Memorial Anniversary - I'm looking for accommodation and would appreciate advice about Staten Island being an option, plus any other suggestions.

Only requirements - need to be close to transport and not be of exorbitant pricing (less than US200 per night) !!

Cheers

Chris

Hi from a fellow aussie (not a new yorker who may have better info)

Something you may want to consider - the staten island ferry is free and goes at least every 30 minutes so staying on staten island wouldn't be a problem if you are staying near the ferry terminal.

On manhattan island there are a couple of different subway stations near the ferry terminal so if you plan to catch the subway to penn station to catch the train, you need to research which goes there to avoid changing.

If you don't have too much luggage (eg one medium/large suitcase plus carry bag) and you are reasonably fit travelling via public transport is fine and cheap.

The absolute best place to ask this question is the very helpful East Coast Departures board - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415 (your post may get moved in any case)

Do a search for Staten Island and I'm sure yo'll already find some info, but the regulars on that board will quickly answer specific questions.

I have previously stayed pre-cruise in Jersey City (the Westin, but lots of option) across the Hudson from Manhattan - handy for Bayonne and PATH trains in to New York City.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Forget Staten Island. Even with a free ferry it will be very time consuming to go in and out of Manhattan for several days. Hotels may offer a free shuttle service to the ferry, but you may find yourself waiting a long time for a pickup to get back to the hotel. The hotels are not located near the ferry terminal. It's an hour+ just to get to South Ferry, the most southern tip of Manhattan. Add another half hour to get most places in midtown.

Look at the Newport area of Jersey City - Candlewood Suites and the Doubletree are nice hotels within your price range. They have access to PATH trains which will take you to midtown (34th & 6th) or Downtown World Trade Center for $2.75. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html Candlewood Suites is self catering if that is of interest. This area is newly developed within the last 20 years - an upscale mix of office buildings, apartments, some shopping, and restaurants - basically a spillover area for financial services for Wall Street. It runs along the Hudson River and offers some spectacular views of Manhattan.

These hotels are also accessible from Cape Liberty via the Hudson-Bergen light rail. You go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty and take a shuttle to the light rail station (should be under $15 for 2) and then take the light rail for $2.25/pp. Basically you can get yourselves to the hotel for under $20, which is a great deal.

Quite frankly it's unlikely you will find a Mahattan hotel in the $200 range for all your nights. If you like either of these hotels, book a cancellable room while you search for other options.

I would wait till you figure out where you're staying before deciding on taking the train, flying doesn't cost any more and can even be cheaper. Flight time is about 35-40 minutes. If you stay in Jersey City, Newark airport is close or Brooklyn and Queens, La Guardia or JFK. I'm in Washington, best to fly into Reagan National airport, there's a metro station right at airport, gets you in town in about 10 minutes.

Agree with a previous poster. I live in the NY Metropolitan area. Friends who come frequently to the City always stay in Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. It is reasonably priced, self park, clean, and 15 minutes by the Path train to either 34th Street ( midtown) or lower Manghattan and the 9/11 Memorial.

Agree with a previous poster. I live in the NY Metropolitan area. Friends who come frequently to the City always stay in Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. It is reasonably priced, self park, clean, and 15 minutes by the Path train to either 34th Street ( midtown) or lower Manhattan and the 9/11 Memorial.

My husband and I are on a transatlantic cruise on the Vision OTS arriving into New Jersey on the 7 September 2017. We are intending on spending a few days in the New York environs before catching a train down to Washington DC.

As accommodation is already starting to become booked out at that time - it is the 9/11 Memorial Anniversary - I'm looking for accommodation and would appreciate advice about Staten Island being an option, plus any other suggestions.

Only requirements - need to be close to transport and not be of exorbitant pricing (less than US200 per night) !!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris and welcome to NJ.

My suggestion is to look for a hotel in New Jersey, that is also close to New York City. Jersey City (Newport) is the perfect area for this. There are many good hotels there such as the Westin, the Hyatt, Courtyard Marriott etc. Transportation is right at your foot step....Path Train and a ferry too. Many restaurants, shopping etc all in the area.

forget staten island. Even with a free ferry it will be very time consuming to go in and out of manhattan for several days. Hotels may offer a free shuttle service to the ferry, but you may find yourself waiting a long time for a pickup to get back to the hotel. The hotels are not located near the ferry terminal. It's an hour+ just to get to south ferry, the most southern tip of manhattan. Add another half hour to get most places in midtown.

Look at the newport area of jersey city - candlewood suites and the doubletree are nice hotels within your price range. They have access to path trains which will take you to midtown (34th & 6th) or downtown world trade center for $2.75. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html candlewood suites is self catering if that is of interest. This area is newly developed within the last 20 years - an upscale mix of office buildings, apartments, some shopping, and restaurants - basically a spillover area for financial services for wall street. It runs along the hudson river and offers some spectacular views of manhattan.

These hotels are also accessible from cape liberty via the hudson-bergen light rail. You go to the taxi dispatcher at cape liberty and take a shuttle to the light rail station (should be under $15 for 2) and then take the light rail for $2.25/pp. Basically you can get yourselves to the hotel for under $20, which is a great deal.

Quite frankly it's unlikely you will find a mahattan hotel in the $200 range for all your nights. If you like either of these hotels, book a cancellable room while you search for other options.

totally agree!

Once again, many thanks everyone for your advice. I have made a booking at the Double Tree Hilton Hotel & Suites, New Jersey.

Still weighing up the options train vs plane for Washington. My thoughts are with flying - the time it takes to get to the airport, check-in, security, waiting and then boarding, exiting and making your way into the city usually equates to the around the same time as taking the train. Train takes 90 minutes, and takes you into the city and cost is $76-$96 each. But always open to ideas!

The train takes more than 90 minutes, the NE regional is about 3.5hrs and the Acela Express about 3hrs, a little less if you board at the Newark Station. For DC, there's only a slight advantage coming into Union Station on the train with Reagan National airport is so close to town and on a metro line. Its best to stay in NW DC in the vicinity of the White House or in No. Virginia in Crystal City, Pentagon City and Rosslyn are close and conveniently located on metro line, in fact Crystal City and Pentagon City are very close to Reagan National airport, some hotels are actually walkable from airport, well as long as you don't have a lot of heavy luggage, otherwise the short metro or cab ride is between 2 and 5 minutes.

The Country Inn by Carlson in Long Island City just one subway stop from Times Square is a brand new hotel; breakfast included. It is a favorite of Europeans and the UK. I just stayed there, beautiful hotel. Plenty of restaurants near the hotel. $200 room that is a good chance ask the front desk and not the main reservations number.

If you have time in NYC walk the new High Line trail. It is a elevated train from west 34th street to about 11th street near the Whitney Museum. It is a trail that has no cars and gives great views of the Hudson River and the tall buildings going up.

OP, that's a great choice in my opinion. As I said in my previous post I stayed at the Westin pre-cruise a few years ago - I did a report for the East Coast Board, which has a few photos etc - great views across to Manhattan. Your hotel is just down the road from where I stayed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753679

The absolute best place to ask this question is the very helpful East Coast Departures board - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415 (your post may get moved in any case)

Do a search for Staten Island and I'm sure yo'll already find some info, but the regulars on that board will quickly answer specific questions.

I have previously stayed pre-cruise in Jersey City (the Westin, but lots of option) across the Hudson from Manhattan - handy for Bayonne and PATH trains in to New York City.

Won't speak for Staten Island, but I've lived in New Jersey my entire life and have to highly recommend Jersey City as a place to bunk down while you are here. The Westin, the Marriott Courtyard, and the Hyatt Regency are all along the Hudson River, with easy access to the PATH rail system into New York, as well as cross river Ferry's if you want a "view" as you cross. Jersey City is a hop skip and a jump to the Bayonne Cruise Port, and there are plenty of taxis. As for restaurants, some of the best restaurants my wife and I have ever been to are here including Komagashi (Japanese), Confucious (Chinese), Dorian's (Irish Pub) and many others.

Just my 2 Quid, but you'll be well set in Jersey City ... and I highly recommend staying here.

Michael

If you have time in NYC walk the new High Line trail. It is a elevated train from west 34th street to about 11th street near the Whitney Museum. It is a trail that has no cars and gives great views of the Hudson River and the tall buildings going up.

Thanks Ken -actually it is on my list, as I have seen it on the TV and heard about it on the radio in Aus!

The train takes more than 90 minutes, the NE regional is about 3.5hrs and the Acela Express about 3hrs, a little less if you board at the Newark Station. For DC, there's only a slight advantage coming into Union Station on the train with Reagan National airport is so close to town and on a metro line. Its best to stay in NW DC in the vicinity of the White House or in No. Virginia in Crystal City, Pentagon City and Rosslyn are close and conveniently located on metro line, in fact Crystal City and Pentagon City are very close to Reagan National airport, some hotels are actually walkable from airport, well as long as you don't have a lot of heavy luggage, otherwise the short metro or cab ride is between 2 and 5 minutes.

Thanks Rustybuttons - my mistake re the times. I have had difficulty locating flights on a Sunday, but I will keep pursuing them. I have booked the Washington Marriott at Metro Center, because of it's proximity to the Metro.

Won't speak for Staten Island, but I've lived in New Jersey my entire life and have to highly recommend Jersey City as a place to bunk down while you are here. The Westin, the Marriott Courtyard, and the Hyatt Regency are all along the Hudson River, with easy access to the PATH rail system into New York, as well as cross river Ferry's if you want a "view" as you cross. Jersey City is a hop skip and a jump to the Bayonne Cruise Port, and there are plenty of taxis. As for restaurants, some of the best restaurants my wife and I have ever been to are here including Komagashi (Japanese), Confucious (Chinese), Dorian's (Irish Pub) and many others.

Just my 2 Quid, but you'll be well set in Jersey City ... and I highly recommend staying here.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I shall lock all your info in! Everyone has been most helpful. I visited New York in 1977, so no doubt it has changed!