Epic. Using ships shuttle at Livorno.

Trickster999

Be careful, there are two shuttles: one that goes to the train station (for people going independently to Pisa, Florence, Lucca, etc.) and one that goes to the city center (Piazza Grande). Make sure you buy the right tickets and get on the right bus.

You will probably see advertisements on board for shuttle tickets, but those are not the ones you want. As KeithJenner said, you pay for the city shuttle in cash (euros) when you get off the ship. They usually have a desk set up in the welcome hall, but you may prefer to walk through to the parking lot so you can locate the shuttle first. There will be people selling tickets there, too.

Ther is a village a couple of miles south of Livorno called Montenero. You can get the number 2 bus there. Your ticket include the ride up to the Monestary on a funicular. Once up there you can take in fab views. There are lots of posts about it on TA

Ta for the info...i am soooo excited, just booked Epic for our family of 10 inc 4 teenagers & Nanna /Grandad...celebrating my 65th. Looking for any info re WMed ports/self excursions as we are too many to book expensive trips with NCL . No idea how to start a roll call so hoping others more savvy than me will do it soon. :mad::D

Yes the ncl excursions are ridiculously expensive.

Us..

Rome we have two days there before hand so don't need them

Livorno. Just going to monteneroband the town

Cannes doing our own thing in the town

Marsailles ships shuttle ( rip off at 15 eu) to town and do our own thing

Barca. Port should (2eu) to Ramblas and do our own thing

Naples ... Will take a ncl trip to Pompeii as wife won't risk going independent in case we mis the boat.

I think the Mega ships like the epic Berth a long way from the town centre and pedestrians might be prevented from walking on the quay side

Trickster999 is right. When we were there 2014 no one is allowed to walk out of the port. You must take a tour (bus or taxi waiting), a NCL shuttle which 2 years ago was $15 pp or a local bus about $5. The NCL shuttle took you to the train station and the local bus took you to downtown. The train station and town are very far from the port, not really within walking distance.

Naples ... Will take a ncl trip to Pompeii as wife won't risk going independent in case we mis the boat.

Recognizing that you may already have firmly decided re Pompeii, I would just mention that Pompeii is only about 1/2 hour from port, so even if something went awry, you could take a taxi back reasonably inexpensively. It is one of the ports we feel very comfortable booking on our own (unlike,. for example, Florence.....which is much further away and creates a much bigger risk for a problem). In any event, we have done "Cant be Missed Tours" twice now, and both times it was completely filled with cruise ship passengers, and both times was absolutely excellent. Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii -- Pompeii last stop so the closest to port last stop. Very reasonably priced compared to NCL. 69E pp

http://cantbemissedtours.com/naples-to-pompeii-sorrento-the-amalfi-coast

Meet you and drop you off right where you get off the ship. Was the best tour we took (other than ultra expensive private tours).

Recognizing that you may already have firmly decided re Pompeii, I would just mention that Pompeii is only about 1/2 hour from port, so even if something went awry, you could take a taxi back reasonably inexpensively. It is one of the ports we feel very comfortable booking on our own (unlike,. for example, Florence.....which is much further away and creates a much bigger risk for a problem). In any event, we have done "Cant be Missed Tours" twice now, and both times it was completely filled with cruise ship passengers, and both times was absolutely excellent. Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii -- Pompeii last stop so the closest to port last stop. Very reasonably priced compared to NCL. 69E pp

http://cantbemissedtours.com/naples-to-pompeii-sorrento-the-amalfi-coast

Meet you and drop you off right where you get off the ship. Was the best tour we took (other than ultra expensive private tours).

Ta for info on cant be missed tours, look good.

Anyone taken train from Livorno to Pisa?? I think its not too far. Where does the ship dock in Livorno, does it depend on time of year or dies Epic always use same port...I understand there are 2 in Livorno? :o Jane

I think the Mega ships like the epic Berth a long way from the town centre and pedestrians might be prevented from walking on the quay side

Greetings

Now I understand the shuttle. We were just there in July, guess we were lucky to be on a ship that docked right in town. We are returning in 2 weeks, guess I should start finding out if we will be docking in town or where the large ships dock.

Enjoy your trip.

Good Sailing

Tom

Ta for info on cant be missed tours, look good.

Anyone taken train from Livorno to Pisa?? I think its not too far. Where does the ship dock in Livorno, does it depend on time of year or dies Epic always use same port...I understand there are 2 in Livorno? :o Jane

The train to Pisa is a short journey, but the train station is a bit of a pain to get to from the port. I would recommend paying the extra for the direct NCL shuttle ($15 I think) rather than mess about with port shuttles and then public buses, which is cheaper but was quite a pain especially getting back.

Another option is a coach to Pisa from the town square (I don't recall the website for booking, but it was something like citysightseeing.com). That seemed to work for some people on our last sailing and price was not too much more than the shuttle/train.

Ta for the info...i am soooo excited, just booked Epic for our family of 10 inc 4 teenagers & Nanna /Grandad...celebrating my 65th. Looking for any info re WMed ports/self excursions as we are too many to book expensive trips with NCL . No idea how to start a roll call so hoping others more savvy than me will do it soon. :mad::D

Hi, have a look at my thread entitled 'Review from first cruise on Epic', http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2367498&highlight=epic, or if that link doesnt work its on page 4 of the Epic threads currently. There is some detail in it re self-excursion to Herculaneum, which I would recommend. We also went with teens. Enjoy!:)