Seasick

famreynoso

We both suffer from occasional sea sickness when the seas get rough. Years ago we both used the patches and could not figure out why we were so drowsy and "out of it" the entire cruise. We got home and as we started feeling normal again we figured out it had to be the patches we used! Someone told us to just start with 1/4 patch or 1/2 and add more if needed. Larger people may do ok with a full patch, but I will never do that again! We found it was much better to start off with small doses and increase as needed - even with the dramamine. Now I just start taking 1/2 tablet of dramamine the day before and the first couple days of the cruise. One evening when the seas were rough I had to take an extra 1/2 tablet before bed. Side affects were not noticeable and the sea sickness was kept at bay. My point is don't over medicate or you won't enjoy your cruise either! ~Joyce

We both suffer from occasional sea sickness when the seas get rough. Years ago we both used the patches and could not figure out why we were so drowsy and "out of it" the entire cruise. We got home and as we started feeling normal again we figured out it had to be the patches we used! Someone told us to just start with 1/4 patch or 1/2 and add more if needed. Larger people may do ok with a full patch, but I will never do that again! We found it was much better to start off with small doses and increase as needed - even with the dramamine. Now I just start taking 1/2 tablet of dramamine the day before and the first couple days of the cruise. One evening when the seas were rough I had to take an extra 1/2 tablet before bed. Side affects were not noticeable and the sea sickness was kept at bay. My point is don't over medicate or you won't enjoy your cruise either! ~Joyce

Just don't cut "the patch" to get the size you think you want. The reservoir will empty all the medication right out.

My pharmacist made a point to tell me not to try while feeling fine at home that you are more prone to the side effects when you do not require the medication. Not sure if that is accurate or not. I have always waited until right before we leave port and fond the patch to be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am interested in the science behind that recommendation.

A Passenger asked my daughter where he could get seasick meds on the ship, she said one of the shops. Can you go to guest services and get something? We were experiencing rough seas the last day and a half. Our daughter was sick to her stomach for the entire last day. I didn't have anything to give her.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

On most ships, you can go to Guest Services or the Ship's Doctor to get something for seasickness. Guest Services will typically have Meclazine or Dramamine and the ship's doctor can do further medication such as an anti-seasickness shot. No need for anyone to be seasick on a cruise ever.

Incidentally, if you have the person lie down and put ice on the front of the person's neck, this will almost instantly relieve the feeling of being about to vomit. This can help in getting them ready to head to the doctor's office on the ship - bring along a trash can or plastic bag just in case the seasick person doesn't make it to the infirmary without heaving.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

For those who say Bonine/meclizine doesn't cause drowsiness, does it go the other way and cause jitteriness? I get jittery from most cold medicines. My cruise will be port-intensive Mediterranean so I'm actually more concerned about getting carsick (bus-sick?) than seasick. If it doesn't cause drowsiness, do you think I'd be better off taking it in the morning than night--especially if I have a glass of wine in the evening?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For those who say Bonine/meclizine doesn't cause drowsiness, does it go the other way and cause jitteriness? I get jittery from most cold medicines. My cruise will be port-intensive Mediterranean so I'm actually more concerned about getting carsick (bus-sick?) than seasick. If it doesn't cause drowsiness, do you think I'd be better off taking it in the morning than night--especially if I have a glass of wine in the evening?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I usually take it as I'm heading to bed. Just to be sure. You really have to find what works for you. I always recommend start with a small amount. You can always increase. Why ruin a cruise from over medicating?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's what I always do. At least the night before the cruise I start taking Bonine, the non drowsy kind, or you can use Dramamine. One pill at night is the way I use it every day of the cruise.

Then also I put a couple drops (with my finger) of Motioneaze behind each ear around an hour before dinner. Usually around dinner time the ship is moving and swaying would be more prevalent then.

I also take Ginger pills with me, just in case I need them,but usually don't have to take any.

You can eat green apples...from the main buffet, or find ginger cookies.

If you prepare ahead, it's easier than to try to take something after you already feel sick.