Hand-held Marine-Band GMRS radios

RMLincoln

We have two hand-held General Mobile Radio Service radios which we use when kayaking to talk boat-to-boat to each other when we get out of sight of each other. Also good for dire emergency call. We have plans for several kayaking excursions on our upcoming cruise when they would come in handy.

Is it permissible to bring these aboard, or will they be confiscated?

Thanks, m--

We have two hand-held General Mobile Radio Service radios which we use when kayaking to talk boat-to-boat to each other when we get out of sight of each other. Also good for dire emergency call. We have plans for several kayaking excursions on our upcoming cruise when they would come in handy.

Is it permissible to bring these aboard, or will they be confiscated?

Thanks, m--

In addition to HAL's related policy, you need to verify the communications regulations of the countries you'll be visiting. Some require operators to be licensed for GMRS radios, and you may not be permitted to operate on the frequencies used by US-purchased GMRS.

In addition to HAL's related policy, you need to verify the communications regulations of the countries you'll be visiting. Some require operators to be licensed for GMRS radios, and you may not be permitted to operate on the frequencies used by US-purchased GMRS.

yes, good point. But can use them in Hawaii, 3 kayak excursions there first. But you point is well taken and I hadn't thought of it. Thank you, m--

Are your radios dual band? Because there is no "marine band GMRS". Dual band radios generally combine GMRS frequencies for land use with VHF frequencies for marine use. Now, while no license is needed for the VHF frequencies, depending on which GMRS frequencies you use, and the power of the radio, you may need a license for GMRS in the US. The FRS (Family Radio Service) channels 8-14, if used with a 1/2 watt radio do not require a license. Any other use of GMRS frequencies, or higher power radios requires a no-fee license from the FCC. Likely the radios would pass security, but if a particularly knowledgeable guard notices that they have VHF transmit capability they may be taken, and given back to you when you request them as you leave the ship for your excursions. This is because the ship is required to have a radio license from the flag country, and your radio and its use is not covered under this license, and your use may interfere with their use of the VHF frequencies.

So, within the above, yes, you can use them on the excursions in Hawaii, but you may or may not have them treated like dive knives, where you have limited access to them onboard.

Are your radios dual band? Because there is no "marine band GMRS". Dual band radios generally combine GMRS frequencies for land use with VHF frequencies for marine use. Now, while no license is needed for the VHF frequencies, depending on which GMRS frequencies you use, and the power of the radio, you may need a license for GMRS in the US. The FRS (Family Radio Service) channels 8-14, if used with a 1/2 watt radio do not require a license. Any other use of GMRS frequencies, or higher power radios requires a no-fee license from the FCC. Likely the radios would pass security, but if a particularly knowledgeable guard notices that they have VHF transmit capability they may be taken, and given back to you when you request them as you leave the ship for your excursions. This is because the ship is required to have a radio license from the flag country, and your radio and its use is not covered under this license, and your use may interfere with their use of the VHF frequencies.

So, within the above, yes, you can use them on the excursions in Hawaii, but you may or may not have them treated like dive knives, where you have limited access to them onboard.

Thanks for the great explanation. Yes, they are dual band 1/2 watt. And we have no need to use them transmitting on the ship, as I have seen and heard others do which I find somewhat annoying, now I guess people can use their phones to find each other.

We have never kayaked on the sea, only on lakes and rivers, and I've been a bit nervous about getting separated and swamped, so for me it's a comfort safety item. If security decides to hold them I can live with that as long as they would be made available for excursions, such as a dive knife, good comparison. Many thanks, m--