Transatlantic Cruise 2006

Iceland

Hi all,

Have been looking at a cruise on Sea Princess, Fort Lauderdale to Southampton, UK next April. The itinery is Princess Cays, one sea day, Tortola, Domenica, Antigua then crosses the Atlantic. There are then 7 sea days with a call at Ponta Delgada, (The Azores) in the middle of those days. Has anyone done a similar cruise? How did you feel about so many days at sea? Does anyone know what sort of weather to expect on the transatlantic part of the cruise at that time of year? My DH quite fancies this cruise but I'm a bit uncertain. Would like some feedback if anyone can help, please.

We have done two transatlantic cruises, and were scheduled to do a third when 9/11 happened, and the 2002 European season itineraries were significantly changed. Additionally, we have done one trans-pacific cruise, with another upcoming. Obviously, we love the sea days, but I have met people where two sea days in a row were just too many. If you are taking a transatlantic from west to east, keep in mind that you will be setting your clocks ahead an hour several nights in a row, so that by the 4th or 5th sea day, you might find yourself sleeping till noon. We fill our days working out, going to ship events, socializing, resting and reading, all things we don't seem to have enough time to do while at home.

The weather at sea is generally windy and a bit cool, not real (outside) pool weather, so we enjoy sailing on a ship with an indoor pool. Waves can be big, especially as you approach the west coast of Africa/Europe, and in the Mediterranean around Barcelona.

I can't tell you about Transatlantic sailings, but I CAN tell you that I love all those days at sea! Last winter we were on the Island Princess over the holidays. This was a 15 night cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii and back with 5 days at sea each way. I LOVED this portion of the trip! How completely relaxing it was... I didn't even care what day it was! There was plenty to do or not do. I work in a pretty stressful environment, and this cruise was the most relaxing and enjoyable of them all. Our dream is to do a westbound Transatlantic cruise with 6 or 7 sea days in a row.

Have fun!

Taters

My wife & I did a transatlantic years ago from Santo Domingo to Genoa in April, with stops in Medeira and Gibraltor en route. The ship (Paguet's Dolphin) was just over 10,000 tons and we felt very little movement until we hit the Med where things really rocked and rolled one evening.

The sea days were fabulous, with lots of time to catch up on reading but it was very windy at the bow of the ship - quite fresh winds too!

The five sea days before Medeira were really restful but from there on it became a bit uneasy as we learned en route to Gibraltor that Libya had just been bombed and we were diverted from Algiers - not a great time to be in Europe....

I think this would be a fabulous trip on a large ship such as the Sea with so much to do. Have a great trip!

We've done several trans-Atlantics, differing itineraries, and love those sea days. Great way to relax and recharge those internal batteries.

Sea state is always a gamble - we've had smooth crossings, and a couple of very rough ones. When it is rough, it can be very uncomfortable, particularly if you are prone to motion sickness.

Our last trans-Atlantic, 8-02, on Golden Princess was pretty rough - we hit two Atlantic storms west of the Azores. We had bow slap spray raining DOWN on our Caribe deck balcony, the forward elevator cars were banging about in the shafts, and several windows along Prom deck shattered, while the ship was flexing and fighting to maintain seaway. Ship's stores and bars sufffered some damage from breakage.

I did a transatlantic crossing last year and we did encounter the end of a hurricane and it was rough! I learned (the hard way) that you can go to the medical center and get a shot for sea sickness-then you sleep a few hours and i woke up feeling great-and felt great for the rest of the trip. This has put me totally at ease about crossing again-while I would not want to feel sick again, now that I know there is a solution, I am booking another transatlantic crossing for next year.

I loved all the sea days-it was so relaxing!

I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Absoultely wonderful were our 3 trips across the POND. We did two leaving from New York which was fabulous, weather in April was in low 70s and I was poolside at high noon, when we left Azores to North Sea.........Ireland, Holland, Belgium, France and England the weather became coolish,,,,,,,,,but not bad seas at all. Next trip was Puerto Rico to Madiera and same kind of weather, very nice then into Gilbralter and Mediterrean and again coolish and some days for poolside ending in Athens. Last year was westbound leaving Venice which was coolish thru Mediterrean, Spain was nice and Portugual coolish, again and seas favorably comfortable but not for poolside and seas calm to Ft. Lauderdale. Those days at sea are the very best,,,,,,,,,,,,,so much to do and so much relaxation. It is an experience of a lifetime to have real time on your hands.............to do nothing, but enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sailinsal

My thanks to all of you. It seems that you have all enjoyed the relaxation that the transatlantic trips offer even though some of you had rough seas. My DH is fine in rough seas, myself not too bad. We went through very rough sea in the Bay of Biscay after leaving Southampton once and I was confined to the cabin for most of one day but so were about 90 per cent of the passengers. You have given me more food for thought. We are also considering Panama Canal and Alaska so I think it will be decision time soon. I know whichever we choose we will enjoy.

• 11 months later...
My thanks to all of you. It seems that you have all enjoyed the relaxation that the transatlantic trips offer even though some of you had rough seas. My DH is fine in rough seas, myself not too bad. We went through very rough sea in the Bay of Biscay after leaving Southampton once and I was confined to the cabin for most of one day but so were about 90 per cent of the passengers. You have given me more food for thought. We are also considering Panama Canal and Alaska so I think it will be decision time soon. I know whichever we choose we will enjoy.

Hi there I was reading your other posting about the Boudicca cruise you were on. Just thought I would mention we were also on the that cruise I was also sick on the crossing through the Bay of Biscay I am never usually sick. Hope you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did

Archived