Calling Home

kayjay76

On the Wifi topic - is the Internet on the Epic fast enough for using FaceTime or voice calling through Facebook?

It worked quite well on the Infependence of the Seas but I've heard the Epic internet is extremely slow...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have successfully used FaceTime audio (not full motion video) and Skype audio. Just depends on how many of your fellow passengers are doing the same.

We just got back from a 14 day Canada and New England cruise on the Dawn. The sign on the room phone said 4.99/minute to make a call.

We took out a Travel Pass from Verizon which allowed us to keep our plan - voice, text, and data for $2.00/24hrs starting the instant the phone entered Canada. We were roaming on Rodgers, Bell and Telus networks and were able to call home, text, and post to Facebook just like at home - as long as we were in port. Onboard the ship, the phones were in Airplane mode or off.

We received texts letting us know when we had 2hrs remaining on the pass so we could regulate our usage. I checked my bill today and each phone had 16.00 of travel pass charges - we were in Canada for 12 of the 14 days - we also had 2 sea days where the phones were off. We called home a couple of times and posted our travel adventures with pictures on Facebook every day.

YMMV