Alaska with a 4 and 6 year old

karenna00

Is it worth it to pay the premium for Disney or would we also do well with another cruise line? We've been on NCL, RCCL, Princess, and Carnival pre kids. Last year we did Disney to the Bahammas and thought it was the best vacation we have had post kids. Decided we would probably just do Disney from now on, however, the price tags for the Alaska sailings has us possibly reconsidering. Only concern is keeping the kids happy on this more adult oriented itinerary.

Can't say that I've ever seen a trip report for a Disney Alaska cruise.

But if you look thru past trip reports (in STICKYs near the top of the page) you'll find several from families who took other cruiselines. All the lines are represented and the families seemed happy with their choice, even HAL who people like to say is geared to older folks. Some kids liked the kids clubs and some didn't ..... I assume it depends on the kid and also the employees.

Here are a few examples:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2362618

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50518377&posted=1#post50518377

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382500

Most people choose an Alaska cruise based on the itinerary, but as you stated, Alaska is more adult oriented since it's about scenery, history and culture. So at that point, the kids programs become a priority. Perhaps reading first hand reports from other travelers experiences will help you with your decision. Maybe consider a covered pool as a requirement so the kids have a place to burn off steam. Or maybe wait a few yrs until the kids have developed an appreciation for scenery, history and culture ....

Good luck with your decision !

Disney was TRIPLE compared to Princess when I looked at a trip 2 years ago on the same week.

If the kids are willing to give up the pixie dust.... you get to see the preferred Glacier Bay on some Princess sailings.

[YOUTUBE]Hj5GcyeWsuk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]OMzReVZn__M[/YOUTUBE]

We have never sailed Disney because we have three kids and the verandah rooms that we would have to stay in for our sized family are way beyond our reach. Our kids have sailed 4 times on NCL and they LOVE their kids program. LOVE IT. They haven't even figured out that it's sometimes repetitive, and the things they have repeated they think are "traditions". Mine are now 7, 8 & 10 and we started when there were 4, 5 and 7. We have met others who have had kids sail in both and like NCL better. Now, I'm not saying that the rest will be better than Disney, because I'm so booking a Disney Cruise the moment I win the lottery, but I would say that your family would have a good time on an NCL ship in Alaska.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't say that I've ever seen a trip report for a Disney Alaska cruise.

But if you look thru past trip reports (in STICKYs near the top of the page) you'll find several from families who took other cruiselines. All the lines are represented and the families seemed happy with their choice, even HAL who people like to say is geared to older folks. Some kids liked the kids clubs and some didn't ..... I assume it depends on the kid and also the employees.

Here are a few examples:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2362618

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50518377&posted=1#post50518377

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2382500

Most people choose an Alaska cruise based on the itinerary, but as you stated, Alaska is more adult oriented since it's about scenery, history and culture. So at that point, the kids programs become a priority. Perhaps reading first hand reports from other travelers experiences will help you with your decision. Maybe consider a covered pool as a requirement so the kids have a place to burn off steam. Or maybe wait a few yrs until the kids have developed an appreciation for scenery, history and culture ....

Good luck with your decision !

Thanks for linking my trip review mapleleaves.

As mentioned in my trip report my 6yo DD loved the trip as well as the kids club. Just the other day she asked me when we were going on the Pearl again. She was very upset when the trip was over as she told us she was going to miss the kids club. She told all her cousins about it when we got home.

HAL has an awesome kids club. (My son also liked the kids club on Carnival & RCCL - but I feel that HAL has a superior product to Alaska.)

Beyond the kids club - 1 week on Disney is more than 2 on HAL (Yes, we are taking a 14-night cruise - not a back to back) & we get a drinks package. Disney 5-nights starting at $3,079 (early August), only stops in Ketchikan; Disney 7-nights from $4,202; HAL 7-nights from $1,299; HAL 14-Nights from $2,199 (Same mid-July timeframe.)

The Disney itinerary is inferior to many others - it doesn't go to Glacier Bay and on the two 7 night itineraries priced above, Disney is in Skagway for a shorter period of time which may limit you touring choices and their Juneau stop is far earlier - I'm not sure I'd have my kiddo ready to leave the ship at 6:45 a.m. (I believe the tram opens at 8, not sure when the busses start running to Mendenhall or when the whale watching tours leave, but it seems like there may be some time in port that isn't useable.)

Other Disney cruisers on CC seem to be more interesting getting back to the ship for the amenities it provides - an Alaska cruise is about Alaska not dinner with characters. (My opinion...)

With all of that said, Disney sails will full ships to Alaska & I'm sure most of those passengers are completely satisfied with their trips.

I can't get past the price difference for the transportation method to Alaska.

Edited by TheCalicoCat